Gibson's HR vs Schilling's Bloody Sock

Which is the bigger Roy Hobbs moment?

• Who the <bleep> is Roy Hobbs?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sock.

Gibson's feat was one at bat.

Schilling's feat was to pitch an entire game to help win the best baseball playoff series ever.

I'm not completely sold on the sock incident being real.

I think Schilling could have faked it secretly, hoping it would be noticed and picked up by the media. It made for probably one of the biggest incidents ever for a team to rally around, when the team needed it the most.

It's just a theory, really. I could be wrong. But if he did do that, it's one of the coolest things ever done in sports.

I think Schilling could have faked it secretly, hoping it would be noticed and picked up by the media. It made for probably one of the biggest incidents ever for a team to rally around, when the team needed it the most.

It's just a theory, really. I could be wrong. But if he did do that, it's one of the coolest things ever done in sports.

I bet that you are wrong. Why would they make up a story that his tendon was held in place with sutures through the skin, if it wasn't in fact true?

And if it wasn't true, why did he have surgery in the offseason?

I bet that you are wrong. Why would they make up a story that his tendon was held in place with sutures through the skin, if it wasn't in fact true?

And if it wasn't true, why did he have surgery in the offseason?

Not the injury, just the bloody sock. The media was all over that forever, and the team rallied around it. It gave a certain visual impression to go along with hearing about the injury. It appealed to another sense, and made the playing through an injury thing even that much more powerful because now you are actually watching him play through sheer adversity. When you saw the blood, you were like 'he shouldn't even be on the mound if that's happening'. I know I was.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

Gibson HR easily.

Dodgers were HUGE underdogs, Kirk could barely walk, and he hit it off future Hall Of Famer Eck who never allowed HRs.

huge red sox homer that i am, i have to go with the gibson HR.

it flat out killed the A's. the dodgers would have been swept if the A's hang on to win game 1, imo.

Gibson was in severe pain with a rib injury when he hit a game winning home run off the best reliever in baseball.

Schilling popped some stitches in his ankle...... Not even close

Last edited:
lol what an awful comparison...Gibson wins without a doubt.

People act as if Schilling lost 4 pints of blood pitching...it was the smallest blotch of blood that seeped through his stitches and soaked into the sock like a sponge.

He has a dislocated right ankle tendon.

Its restraining sheath has been torn away, so Schilling's foot won't work properly.

He had to leave Game 1 of the A.L.C.S. after three innings when he injured the ankle while covering first base.

Dr. William Morgan, the Red Sox team physician, had the idea that he he could suture the skin on the sides of Schilling's tendon down to the deep tissue under it, thus creating an artificial sheath to prevent the tendon from snapping against the bone.

So he tried it out on a cadaver, then performed the experimental operation on Monday, October 11, the day before Game 6.

He put in three stitches under local anesthesia, but one ripped away early in the game, resulting in the bleeding visible to TV viewers.

Morgan last Saturday performed the operation a second time on Schilling's right ankle, this time using four stitches to make the repair stronger.

After the game is over, Morgan removes the stitches and prescribes antibiotics to guard against possible infection.

I say you owe it to the smart doctor for coming up with such a clever way of fixing Schilling up so quickly then offering Schill the god like standard...From what I read procedure like that hadn't even been tried b4

Forum List

Back