Gibson Guitars Settles With DoJ...

Gibson didn't have the money to fight the case? So they agreed to a $300,000 fine, a $50,000 public service penalty, and forfeited $261,844 in product, because they couldn't afford to fight the case? What bullshit. Do you realize how illogical your claim is?

In any case, what we have is Gibson signing a document that admits it violated the Lacey Act, and stipulating to the fact that they were warned by an employee that the importation of unfinished ebony product from Madagascar was a violation of their law, and they did so anyway.

Let me show you some numbers. Gibson essentially paid $611,844 dollars to avoid a long court battle that would have easily drained 10 times that much from their profits every year. Which do you think makes more sense?

Pure speculation. They signed a settlement agreement admitting to the violation of the Lacey Act. That's a fact. If their case was as cut and dry as you claim, it wouldn't be all that hard to get a quick decision. It's not like Gibson is some nickel and dime organizations. They're one of the largest, if not the largest, musical instrument manufacturers in the world.

Gibson Guitar Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gibson also owns and makes instruments under such brands as Baldwin,[2] Epiphone,[13] Kalamazoo,[citation needed] Kramer,[14] Maestro,[15] Slingerland,[2] Steinberger,[16] Tobias,[17] Valley Arts[citation needed] and Wurlitzer.[2]
Gibson purchased Garrison Guitars in 2007.[18]
That doesn't even include the numerous knock-off licenses they hold.

They signed an agreement? Do you have a copy of the agreement with their signature on it?

Daveman, the Gibson case isn't about buying wood. It's about buying it from an illegal source and in violation to Madagascar law. I understand that you like to keep everything simple, but Gibson signed off on the facts presented above, and payed a $300,000 fine, a $50,000 community service contribution to Fish & Wildlife, and forfeiture of$261,844 Madagascar ebony.

If Martin committed any violation of the Lacey Act, I would expect them to be punished as well. But the only thing your pea brain can come up with is, "well, they buy wood too, and blame Obama".
Gibson is a non-union shop and a GOP donor.

Martin is a union shop and a Dem donor.

But you just keep pretending the DoJ is interested in justice and not punishing business for not supporting Dems and unions.

Except moron, you've provided no evidence that Martin is in any violation of the Lacey Act. All you have is, "well they buy wood too". Please present evidence that Martin is in violation of any law. Gibson admitted it broke the law. FTR, I'd stack my Gibson accoustic up to any Martin, and it costs about half as much.
Gibson made no such admission.

And if DoJ had proof Gibson broke the law, why did it not file charges?

Could you please not be a dishonest fuckweasel for two minutes?

Forum List

Back