Gibbs defends US gun freedoms to Russian journo

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
Pretty amazing. Wonder if this made it on MSNBC, or if it would be cleared by most Democrats in Congress.

It's really out of phase with most of the crap posted by the usual suspects here.

Gibbs Spars With Russian Reporter Over Tucson Shooting and U.S. Freedoms

Andrei Sitov, a correspondent for Russia's official news agency ITAR-TASS, offered his condolences to "all Americans" and the victims at the start of his question during a briefing at the White House just hours after President Obama returned from a memorial service in Tucson.
Sitov said the slaughter, which took place in a supermarket parking lot while Giffords was holding a "Congress on your Corner" event, "does not seem all that incomprehensible, at least from the outside. It's the reverse side of freedom. Unless you want restrictions, unless you want a bigger role for the government."
With that, Gibbs recounted what Obama said Wednesday night at the memorial at the University of Arizona -- the shooter's motivation may never be known.
"But I think it's important to understand that, as I said earlier, the event that was happening that day was the exercise of some very important, very foundational freedoms to this country: the freedom of speech; the freedom to assemble; the freedom to petition your government; democracy or a form of self-government that is of, by and for the people...all very quintessential American values that have been on display along with the tremendous courage and resilience of those in that community and throughout this country that have had to deal with this tragedy," Gibbs said.
Sitov pressed on, asking, "This is America, the democracy, the freedom of speech, the freedom of assembly, the freedom to petition your government. And many people outside would also say -- and the quote, unquote "freedom" of a deranged mind to react in a violent way is also American. How do you respond to that?"
Gibbs strongly protested that assertion.
"No, no, I would disagree vehemently with that. There are -- there is nothing in the values of our country, there's nothing on the many laws on our books that would provide for somebody to impugn and impede on the very freedoms that you began with by exercising the actions that that individual took on that day. That is not American.
"There are -- I think there's agreement on all sides of the political spectrum: Violence is never, ever acceptable. We had people that died. We had people whose lives will be changed forever because of the deranged actions of a madman. Those are not American. Those are not in keeping with the important bedrock values by which this country was founded and by which its citizens live each and every day of their lives in hopes of something better for those that are here."

Anyone who owns a gun should at least have to undergo
regular "psychological/psychiatric" testing to determine if they are mentally stable!

How did this guy get a clip holding 31 bullets?

I thought those were illegal.

they were illegal. but when the AWB sundowned, the law controlling sales of these clips sundowned too.

I see.

Well I suppose one of the OTHER prices of freedom is eternal vigilance against NUTTERS armed with guns.

25% of the American population is or has been treated for psychological disorders, folks.

There are an estimated 300,000,000 guns in this nation.

Ya'll can do the math, right?

regular "psychological/psychiatric" testing to determine if they are mentally stable!

What about the many "gun owners" in SE Washington, DC or Prince Georges County Maryland. How would their psych eval be accomplished? There has been 11 murders in 12 days in PG county. Some are reporting 12 murders but one was a home owner who shot a home invader. Good for him. That's not murder, it's protecting the home. Gun regs and psych evals would only affect people who obey the law. Come up with a program to cure the decay of society but leave my guns and my mental status alone.

What about the many "gun owners" in SE Washington, DC or Prince Georges County Maryland. How would their psych eval be accomplished? There has been 11 murders in 12 days in PG county. Some are reporting 12 murders but one was a home owner who shot a home invader. Good for him. That's not murder, it's protecting the home. Gun regs and psych evals would only affect people who obey the law. Come up with a program to cure the decay of society but leave my guns and my mental status alone.

Guns will neither cure nor cause the downfall of this nation.

Guns are NOT the problem.

They are the symptom of the problem.

they were illegal. but when the AWB sundowned, the law controlling sales of these clips sundowned too.

I see.

Well I suppose one of the OTHER prices of freedom is eternal vigilance against NUTTERS armed with guns.

25% of the American population is or has been treated for psychological disorders, folks.

I think if everyone knew that they'd get blasted from all sides by gun-packing citizens they'd be less likely to open up in a crowd.

Gun laws only prevent law-abiding citizens from committing violence.

And who gets to decide of they are stable? Would you say that someone who complained about hidden cameras in her bedroom was stable or unstable?

Eze is suing Brooklyn College for false imprisonment, among other things, over a 2008 episode in which she approached school administrators for help in dealing with issues she was having with her roommates and landlord at her Brooklyn apartment. According to the complaint, Eze believed that she was being "defamed on the internet" by her former roommates and that "her landlord at the time had installed a hidden camera in her bedroom." Sounds nuts! That's what school psychologist Sally Robles thought. When Eze went to Brooklyn College's Office of Campus and Community Safety Services to ask for help, security officers called Robles, who proceeded to ask Eze about her mental health history and whether she ever heard voices. When Eze protested that she was simply an international student asking the school's security staff for help on dealing with a housing issue, Robles called an ambulance.
Eze was "forced" into the ambulance by school officials, and ended up being committed to Kings County Psychiatric Hospital for two weeks, where in addition to being made "physically and emotionally ill and subject to great humiliation," she missed her final exams and was "terminated" by the school.

Student Sues College for Having Her Committed Over Hidden Cam

Don't you think the right thing to do under the circumstances was to at least send someone to look at the vent to see if there was a camera? Yet you prefer to simply lock people up and take away their constitutional rights simply because you do not like what they are saying. I bet you are one of the people who complained about the PARTIOT Act before he supported it.

I see.

There are about that many vehicles in the US also. Should we ban cars for everyone because there are crazy people who drive them and use them to commit crimes? Or should we simply accept that sometimes crazy people get behind the wheel of a car and kill people?

Guns will neither cure nor cause the downfall of this nation.

Guns are NOT the problem.

They are the symptom of the problem.

How are guns a symptom of whatever you think the problem is?

:lol:

We are a nation of morons.

Gun fetish in a violent land of prisoners where the solution to gun violence is "let's get more guns."

The good news is that gun owners are more likely to kill themselves that any criminal.

They bad news is that they often kill members of their own family and people they know more than any criminal as well.

A nation of fools.

Forum List

Back