Giants are going to the World Series.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
What a great game. Giants beat the Phillies 3 to 2 to clinch the series.

PHILADELPHIA — The Giants used their 21-year-old rookie with a drawl as syrupy as his curveball. They used their eccentric closer with the Mr. Disguise-O black beard. They even used their two-time Cy Young award winner, on a single day of rest.

The Giants became NL West champions because of their top flight pitching staff. And they stretched out nearly all of their best arms to reach a pennant Saturday night.

They used three-fourths of their playoff rotation to subdue the powerful Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6, and Juan Uribe snuck a tiebreaking home run over the right field scoreboard in the eighth inning as the Giants won 3-2 at Citizens Bank Park to win the National League Championship Series.

You don't usually advance to the World Series in what pitchers call a "Johnny Wholestaff" game. But when you have the Giants' big equipment, anything is possible. Both Tim Lincecum and Madison Bumgarner, young studs of the Giants' rotation, came out of the bullpen to help nail down this win.

Uribe's home run off Ryan Madson was the Giants' first since Cody Ross went deep in Game 2, and it was the margin that sent the Giants to their fourth NL championship since moving to San Francisco in 1958. They have never won a World Series, but they'll get that chance against the Texas Rangers, starting Wednesday in San Francisco.

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_16418606?nclick_check=1

Last edited:
I'm sure the tv networks are loving the fact that no east coast team is going to the world series.

Hey Paulie,

Think if I dig enough I can find that post by truthspeaker on how he would have traded linceum for Pujols sometime last year. Remember that?

Wonder if he still stands by that

Who is gonna watch this world series outside of Texas and nocal?

Hey Paulie,

Think if I dig enough I can find that post by truthspeaker on how he would have traded linceum for Pujols sometime last year. Remember that?

Wonder if he still stands by that

I called him on it a couple days ago, I think it was Cain though.

Same difference though as far as this series went.

I would have taken having to face Pujols every night over having to face either Linecum or Cain only once or twice in the entire series.

I picked the Giants as my sleeper team in '09. I was a year too soon, but I knew this team had the potential for this. All they had to do was just get into the playoffs and it was damn near a done deal.

exactly, get into the playoffs in a awful NL west division and let your stud pitchers carry you, I gotta say I will watch game 1 for Linceum vs Lee, that should be a fun game to watch

exactly, get into the playoffs in a awful NL west division and let your stud pitchers carry you, I gotta say I will watch game 1 for Linceum vs Lee, that should be a fun game to watch

Yeah but beyond that it's
tired-sleeping-smiley-17370.gif

Great game! There is nothing that matches baseball. It is the perfect game.

The tension, anticipation, buildup and pause on each pitch in the bottom of the 9th in a one run game cannot be matched by any other sport. It will always be our national pastime in my opinion.

I wish my Yankees were in the WS, but the Rangers were the better team.

Should be a great series.....two teams that haven't won in my lifetime

I'll be interested to see the ratings compared to last year and previous series.

New Topics

Forum List

Back