Giant Rat Killed With Pitchfork At Brooklyn's Marcy Houses

if you live near water you always have to contend with norway or warf rats....huge suckers....combine that with barns holding grain and you get massive ones

So how would these rats get that big in New York City? I can't imagine there being alot of grain laying around.

As booth questioned, why would anyone in brooklyn have a pitchfork?

My friend in Bath Beach, Brooklyn needed a garden hose but found that the standard 50 foot length was too much! So, I found her one that was only 25 feet long and she STILL struggles with it!

Compared to Brooklyn, I have vast acreage to landscape and an over abundance of lawn. In reality, my yard is about the size of a postage stamp!

if you live near water you always have to contend with norway or wharf rats....huge suckers....combine that with barns holding grain and you get massive ones

So how would these rats get that big in New York City? I can't imagine there being alot of grain laying around.

The trash and garbage Gravity

$garbage NYC.jpg

They take the garbage to tug boats and then barges, so the wharf rats eat this.

$tugboat garbage NYC.jpg

if you live near water you always have to contend with norway or wharf rats....huge suckers....combine that with barns holding grain and you get massive ones

The trash and garbage Gravity

View attachment 14923

They take the garbage to tug boats and then barges, so the wharf rats eat this.

View attachment 14924

That explains it than, their getting big eating all the trash. That is nasty.:eek:

Wow that is a huge rat! I didn't kno they could get that big. Yea i guess healthy eating does make you grow! I would be scared for my children. Those rats can hurt children especially if they are found at the park.

Wow that is a huge rat! I didn't kno they could get that big. Yea i guess healthy eating does make you grow! I would be scared for my children. Those rats can hurt children especially if they are found at the park.

Yup kids under 3 can get tore up by these rats.

Within one year after NYC started making laws on feral cats, the mouse and rat population stared to multiply. Now the city is over run with them and very little feral cats to kill them and keep the population down.

New York State Stray Cat Laws | eHow.com

plus with all of the laws , regulations and social programs the city has, they don't have the money to
spray the city with pesticides like they should be doing.

Yup kids under 3 can get tore up by these rats.

Interesting rat trivia.

A rat can chew through concrete and metal.

Rats are incredibly resourceful. They can swim up a u-bend with a diameter of between 1-1/2 to 4 inches, travel on foot for hundreds of miles, jump 3 feet in the air and 4 feet horizontally (from standing), burrow 3 feet straight down, chew through glass (albeit glass that may have been weakened in some way), cinder block and some metals and swim half a mile in open water. They have a similar reproduction cycle to mice, but are much tougher. As well as this, they have continuously growing incisors which, if they weren’t eroded down by gnawing, would actually grow through the rat and lead to its death.

Rats where used as a medieval torture device.

A cheap and effective way to torture someone was with the use of rats. There were many variants, but the most common was to force a rat through a victim's body (usually the intestines) as a way to escape. This was done as follows:

The victim was completely restrained and tied to the ground or any horizontal surface. A rat was then placed on his stomach covered by a metallic container. As the container was gradually heated, the rat began to look for a way out - through the victim's body.

Digging a hole usually took a few hours of agonizing pain for the victim. This almost invariantly resulted in death.

Forum List

Back