GHWB Memorial

Did we all just forget the War and the Recession this guy brought? I'm not sure why we do this whole, 'Well, now that you're dead, we show you nothing but love!"

Bush was an awful president. We threw him out after one term and rightfully so.
He was responsible for the deaths of 184 patriots to this country, where a war was pre-planned from the very beginning to provoke Saddam. It was the perfect crime for profit, disguised as a war for freedom. People today still don't know that Bush 1 had his own oil business with Kuwait. George Herbert Walker Bush and the myth of the 'good' Gulf War

While taking nothing away from this long-time civil servant, this pomp & ceremony were grossly overblown. Just remember that the precedent is now set, and we will see the same thing when Jimmy Carter gives it up, then Bill Clinton. If a Democrat is in the WH at the time, s/he will probably try to out-do this circus. And don't even mention Barry O.

This is the sort of thing that is done when a KING dies or an Emperor, or a Pope. Bush41 was apparently a good man and a competent president. Best resume of anyone who ever served in that office, for what that's worth. But any ceremonies should have been based in Texas, and wherever he chose to be planted. Anyone from DC who wanted to attend could probably get the day off.

Flags at half mast for thirty days? Not justified.

Turns me off.
You didn't see the state funeral given to murderer Tookie Williams did you? That was truly disgusting.
If you want to talk about what is disgusting, think about those 184 who lost their lives over profit, at the expense of one George Herbert Walker Bush having his own personal oil business with Kuwait. George Herbert Walker Bush and the myth of the 'good' Gulf War Ever wonder why Bush didn't go into Baghdad?

Last edited:
I am always impressed by the pomp and circumstance of traditional events, so I got all comfy to watch the transfer of "Poppy's" remains at the Capitol Rotunda. The steps were lined by spit & polish military on both sides, an impressive sight. And as the hearse pulled up and stopped before the honor guard pall bearers, I lost it when the band began playing "Hail to The Chief"! Don't know why, it sure wasn't voluntary, but I literally couldn't hold back an audible sob and sudden gush of tears. Glad I was alone!

The ceremony was beautiful. I know every step was choreographed and what I saw was awesome. The slow walks and the slow salutes were touching. And maybe because I liked the guy, and respected him for breaking his own word for the sake of the nation, so I voted for him twice. And because I liked him it seemed to me that most of the mourners were there out of respect rather than just to be seen. I know Powell and Baker both shed tears.

He was a decent, exceptional man, deserving of the honors.
Except he wasn't; ttps://www.alternet.org/george-herbert-walker-bush-and-myth-good-gulf-war

He was responsible for the deaths of 184 patriots to this country, where a war was pre-planned from the very beginning to provoke Saddam. It was the perfect crime for profit, disguised as a war for freedom. People today still don't know that Bush 1 had his own oil business with Kuwait.

Okay, you are getting into conspiracy theory areas here.

I think that we blundered into that war through incompetence, not design.

Ever wonder why Bush didn't go into Baghdad?

No, I never wondered about that. Most of our allies were against it and the UN resolution ONLY called for the expulsion of Iraqi forces from Kuwait.

We saw what happened when we went to Baghdad under 43. The country collapsed into factionalism. Now it's a defacto Iranian Client state.

He was responsible for the deaths of 184 patriots to this country, where a war was pre-planned from the very beginning to provoke Saddam. It was the perfect crime for profit, disguised as a war for freedom. People today still don't know that Bush 1 had his own oil business with Kuwait.

No, I never wondered about that. Most of our allies were against it and the UN resolution ONLY called for the expulsion of Iraqi forces from Kuwait.

We saw what happened when we went to Baghdad under 43. The country collapsed into factionalism. Now it's a defacto Iranian Client state.
There is nothing "incompetent" about Bush having partnered with Kuwait in the oil business. Some people would simply call it money, not "incompetence"

Joe, in so many issues we agree, but not here. Have a heart! Those of us who show respect for GHWB never thought of him as more than he was. We knew his faults and imperfections. But I am convinced he did his best in the times he served, and he never disrespected the office he held in our name. He never tarnished the Presidency. He has earned the tradition shown his memory this day.

Sorry, I remember after leaving the Service in 1992, getting out into a shit economy where no one was hiring.. I can't get weepy about Bush or think better of him because he isn't an awful human being like Trump is.
The 90s boomed

Best time to enter the workforce

Joe, in so many issues we agree, but not here. Have a heart! Those of us who show respect for GHWB never thought of him as more than he was. We knew his faults and imperfections. But I am convinced he did his best in the times he served, and he never disrespected the office he held in our name. He never tarnished the Presidency. He has earned the tradition shown his memory this day.

Sorry, I remember after leaving the Service in 1992, getting out into a shit economy where no one was hiring.. I can't get weepy about Bush or think better of him because he isn't an awful human being like Trump is.

The highest unemployment rate under Bush 41 was 7.8%. The highest under Obama was 9.7% in 2011, two full years after he took office. So if Bush was terrible, then OBAMA SUCKED ASS.

Bush saw approval ratings Obama can only BEG the media to pretend he had:

Bush_I_approval_rating.png
Bush was very popular after Desert Storm
Wartime presidents usually are

Lol
Iraq was never stable...

There is nothing "incompetent" about Bush having partnered with Kuwait in the oil business. Some people would simply call it money, not "incompetence"

No, Competence would have been telling Saddam in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, "You mess with Kuwait, we are going to fuck you up!"

We didn't do that. In fact, when Ambassador April Glaspie met with Saddam, she said the US had no treaty with Kuwait and we didn't take a side on their dispute over the Rumalia Oil fields.

No, Competence would have been telling Saddam in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, "You mess with Kuwait, we are going to fuck you up!"

We didn't do that. In fact, when Ambassador April Glaspie met with Saddam, she said the US had no treaty with Kuwait and we didn't take a side on their dispute over the Rumalia Oil fields.
Except he didn't do that. Glaspie put out the word that we would not get involved with Kuwait and Saddam's oil disputes. Bush lied. Days later he invaded. So he did take sides. Why? Because Bush had his own oil interests with Kuwait. That is what turned his own competent oil business for him, into an incompetent invasion for that oil, which killed 184 servicemen. Incompetence and greed was the cause of that war.

Lol
Iraq was never stable...
Has nothing to do with why we invaded Iraq.

Except he didn't do that. Glaspie put out the word that we would not get involved with Kuwait and Saddam's oil disputes. Bush lied. Days later he invaded. So he did take sides. Why? Because Bush had his own oil interests with Kuwait. That is what turned his own competent oil business for him, into an incompetent invasion for that oil, which killed 184 servicemen. Incompetence and greed was the cause of that war.

Or we just didn't think that Saddam would do something that stupid.... it might have been that.

Forum List

Back