Ghosts & The Paranormal

Why? Not everything in the world is visible or photographable (is that a word, or did I just invent it?). And maybe the supernatural world is like God: not really interested in proving itself empirically.

and, maybe, it's all a bunch of hoodoo that a primitive mind needs to construct in order to facilitate a lack of understanding. I think the trajectory of human beliefs indicate that we move farther away from supernatural explanations with each deeper layer of logical evidence rather than the opposite. Again, the absence of evidence is not proof.

and, maybe, it's all a bunch of hoodoo that a primitive mind needs to construct in order to facilitate a lack of understanding. I think the trajectory of human beliefs indicate that we move farther away from supernatural explanations with each deeper layer of logical evidence rather than the opposite. Again, the absence of evidence is not proof.

Why should human beliefs necessarily move farther away from supernatural explanations? Absence of evidence isn't proof that something is true, but neither is it proof that it's false.

The trajectory of human belief should move in whatever direction the truth lies in. It shouldn't be mapped out ahead of time as "this is acceptable and logical; this is primitive and silly". Maybe the supernatural is nothing more than the natural that we haven't advanced far enough to see yet.

Why should human beliefs necessarily move farther away from supernatural explanations? Absence of evidence isn't proof that something is true, but neither is it proof that it's false.

The trajectory of human belief should move in whatever direction the truth lies in. It shouldn't be mapped out ahead of time as "this is acceptable and logical; this is primitive and silly". Maybe the supernatural is nothing more than the natural that we haven't advanced far enough to see yet.

It's not a matter of why "should" it. It's a matter of "thats the direction it's been going since we were dancing around the bonfire. And, tho it's not "proof that it's false", the absence of evidence is still not evidence of a positive. Beliefs in Jewish gods or Cthulu do not become legitimate just because we don't have the actual fact. the supernatural has a major evidence deficit.

Indeed, and since we can see which direction that trajectory has consistently been moving... Believing that the earth is the center of the universe back when we didn't know better didn't make it true and I can't think of a single supernatural facet that has been supported enough to seriously consider.

I am open minded on the paranormal and have had some direct experience on a number of occasions which have led me to believe that there is an after life.
Do you get our UK tv series Most Haunted over there? Its excellent.

Forum List

Back