Ghosts & The Paranormal

Yeah some religious people do, that is true. I guess I just never really had an interest in the ouija board myself. I don't personally believe people make contact through it. I suppose if other people believe you can and it is a bad thing, then it is just as well that I never had an interest in it.

Oh, contacting demons is easy. It's a terrible idea, but it's easy.

I always thought people who turn to supernatural entities looking for power must be stupid, because clearly, all the power in that relationship is on the other side of the equation.

I always thought people who turn to supernatural entities looking for power must be stupid, because clearly, all the power in that relationship is on the other side of the equation.

heh, I agree with you on that point.

The big problem with psychic phenomena is that it's damned hard to document. Frequently, even the person who is exhibiting the ability to read others' thoughts or emotions can't say for sure how much of it is truly psychic, and how much of it is merely being subconsciously perceptive.

when I lived in roswell new mexico, me & my 1st husband used to party a lot with his boss and his bosses wife and we would always go back to there house and stay up all night long, the wife was a religious chick, somehow the men would take off or be gone or something and the wife would always turn on this guy on tv named "pat robertson" (I think that was his name) anyway she freakin loved this guy, here I was high as a kite and she would be talking in a weird language to me and crying and crap, I would just watch with my dopey eyes and nod and she was talking in tongues. Perhaps it was because I was on drugs at the time but it didn't inspire me it just seemed odd.

She sounds like she might have been a Wiccan. Some of them can speak in tongues as well.

She sounds like she might have been a Wiccan. Some of them can speak in tongues as well.

she said she was a born again christian, but who knows, back then I was a big mess admittedly. One time I had a dream about esther in the bible and some girl from work invited me to her bible study to learn about esthers story and the guy had a computer and mapped out where esther would have been located today which was Iraq according to him. Anyway it was fun and educational, he was highly enthusiastic. Im not opposed to learning interpretations of religious beliefs, but I just found that girl who did the crying and weird sounding foriegn language odd. But again it could have been me since I was not in a sober state my perception was distorted.

she said she was a born again christian, but who knows, back then I was a big mess admittedly. One time I had a dream about esther in the bible and some girl from work invited me to her bible study to learn about esthers story and the guy had a computer and mapped out where esther would have been located today which was Iraq according to him. Anyway it was fun and educational, he was highly enthusiastic. Im not opposed to learning interpretations of religious beliefs, but I just found that girl who did the crying and weird sounding foriegn language odd. But again it could have been me since I was not in a sober state my perception was distorted.

She was a born again Christian and yet "[you] & [your] 1st husband used to party a lot with his boss and his bosses wife and ... would always go back to there house and stay up all night long???" I hate to sound judgemental, but it doesn't sound like she was born again to me. If you're ever interested in finding out more about the gifts of the spirit, you might consider finding a better role model.

No, it's a little weird when you're sober. I was raised in a family of fundamentalist Protestant ministers. My grandmother, who helped raise me until I was eight, insisted on having devotions every morning before breakfast and every evening before bedtime. A chapter of Bible reading and then everyone had to pray, and she usually spoke in tongues while she did it. I can remember kneeling there, trying to keep my feet from going to sleep, and hoping she wouldn't get too excited or I was going to miss the school bus.

You get used to it.

She was a born again Christian and yet "[you] & [your] 1st husband used to party a lot with his boss and his bosses wife and ... would always go back to there house and stay up all night long???" I hate to sound judgemental, but it doesn't sound like she was born again to me. If you're ever interested in finding out more about the gifts of the spirit, you might consider finding a better role model.

Yeah that was years ago as stated previously, I have been sober since 1991. I was pretty young back then I got married at 16. My life is completely different now. I wasn't looking for a role model when I was partying obviously. But you mentioned the holy ghost and it reminded me of that girl who claimed she was experiencing the holy ghost when she did all that weird stuff. It was my point of reference based on my own experience that I had which was not something I sought out myself.

No, it's a little weird when you're sober. I was raised in a family of fundamentalist Protestant ministers. My grandmother, who helped raise me until I was eight, insisted on having devotions every morning before breakfast and every evening before bedtime. A chapter of Bible reading and then everyone had to pray, and she usually spoke in tongues while she did it. I can remember kneeling there, trying to keep my feet from going to sleep, and hoping she wouldn't get too excited or I was going to miss the school bus.

You get used to it.

Thank you for sharing that, I have no experience with it sober. I did like that bible study I went to one time and I was sober for that HA. I am not opposed to religious viewpoints, mostly what happens is I don't understand some of them and then people get really mad at me or frustrated. I don't understand the tongues thing. but I appreciate some interpretations of the bible when I understand them.

The big problem with psychic phenomena is that it's damned hard to document. Frequently, even the person who is exhibiting the ability to read others' thoughts or emotions can't say for sure how much of it is truly psychic, and how much of it is merely being subconsciously perceptive.

That could be true

Yeah that was years ago as stated previously, I have been sober since 1991. I was pretty young back then I got married at 16. My life is completely different now. I wasn't looking for a role model when I was partying obviously. But you mentioned the holy ghost and it reminded me of that girl who claimed she was experiencing the holy ghost when she did all that weird stuff. It was my point of reference based on my own experience that I had which was not something I sought out myself.

You have a wonderful story. Congratulations on being sober for so long. I know that is a monumental accomplishment. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I value your posts and your opinions.

You have a wonderful story. Congratulations on being sober for so long. I know that is a monumental accomplishment. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I value your posts and your opinions.

I value yours as well. If I offended you it is not on purpose.

Thank you for sharing that, I have no experience with it sober. I did like that bible study I went to one time and I was sober for that HA. I am not opposed to religious viewpoints, mostly what happens is I don't understand some of them and then people get really mad at me or frustrated. I don't understand the tongues thing. but I appreciate some interpretations of the bible when I understand them.

I actually find Bible study quite interesting . . . depending on the people with whom I'm studying it. I doubt I'm the first person to notice how many people seem to think that holiness is proportionately linked to boredom. Apparently, they believe the path to righteousness involves sucking all the fun and excitement out of life, presumably to make you that much more eager to move on to eternity. :cuckoo:

you should start a bible study discussion thread now that would be interesting !

When my daughter died there were two days of a wake, then a day inbetween and then her funeral.

The day inbetween was 11/11. (that is a story for another time but the number 11/11 has always meant a great deal in my life and It just proves to me that with the culmination of my daughter's death it all seems to make sense).

The reason she wasn't buried on 11/11 was because it was Veteran's Day. So we had a day in between wake and funeral.

On 11/11 it was quiet. All the visitors of the weekend/wake had gone and I was finally alone with my husband and other children. We mostly sat around and chilled.
I went to my office and tried to catch up on work, answering emails and explaining things to forgotten customers.

I kept hearing a banging at the window which was at the end of the office but not facing me. My husband came in the office and I asked him what the hell was hitting the window, was it that windy out? He looked and said it was a branch.

The next day was the funeral.

Two days later my husband said to me....honey, I just want to tell you something, There is no tree outside that window.

We both went outside together and looked. No tree, nothing.

It never happened again.

Till this day I don't have to wonder, I just know it was my daughter saying good-bye.

Im sure it was your daughter. I hear stories like that a lot from people who lost someone immediate in there family. I also have heard a little bit about 11:11.

It's an interesting subject but i don't believe in the paranormal. it seems, with all the photo taking gadgets being used, that we'd have more evidence available.

It's an interesting subject but i don't believe in the paranormal. it seems, with all the photo taking gadgets being used, that we'd have more evidence available.

That's a bit like saying that if God really existed, he would have been on "Larry King" by now.

Seriously, it's a huge, mysterious universe out there. There are any number of things about it that no one knows or understands. I don't think the limits of current human capacity constitute a reason to dismiss something as impossible, at least not all by themselves.

Indeed, it's exactly like that. If god were tangible we humans would be selling him on the home shopping network. From money changers in the temple to indulgences to miracle cures. If belief didn't require faith we'd all be believers. I don't discount the fact that there is a lot that I am not aware of and i freely admit that I could be totally wrong. BUT. I'm more of a physical evidence sorta dude and it seems like we should be getting evidence beyond grainy photos in this age of HDtv.

Indeed, it's exactly like that. If god were tangible we humans would be selling him on the home shopping network. From money changers in the temple to indulgences to miracle cures. If belief didn't require faith we'd all be believers. I don't discount the fact that there is a lot that I am not aware of and i freely admit that I could be totally wrong. BUT. I'm more of a physical evidence sorta dude and it seems like we should be getting evidence beyond grainy photos in this age of HDtv.

Why? Not everything in the world is visible or photographable (is that a word, or did I just invent it?). And maybe the supernatural world is like God: not really interested in proving itself empirically.

Forum List

Back