GHOSTS!!! Are you a Believer?

Do you believe in ghosts or a spirit world among us?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I don't know but I have an open mind about it.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I get creeped out by the whole concept.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, I do believe in ghosts and spirits.
I think there is such a thing as a person not being able to get to the 'other side' or 'other place' and so they are left wandering.
I have felt the presence of my Mother.......seriously...it doesn't happen as often as I'd like..but I can get a scent of the certain perfume she wore and then I feel her nearby. And I have often awoke in the middle of the night, to feel a shadow over me.......and felt it to be my Mother~
Say what you will.......but I feel as tho it is my Mother....and that's what I choose to believe, whether I may be wrong or not.

How about the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit?

I will be introducing a thread probably tomorrow re the religious spiritual world in the religion forum. Your question is valid, but for now I would rather focus on any beings of perhaps less awesome significance that might be living among us willingly or unwillingly now.

How about the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit?

I will be introducing a thread probably tomorrow re the religious spiritual world in the religion forum. Your question is valid, but for now I would rather focus on any beings of perhaps less awesome significance that might be living among us willingly or unwillingly now.

Fair nuff although I do not see how any Christian could not believe in ghosts and spirits.

I do not believe in ghosts holy or otherwise.

btw the background of the Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit and why they were incorporated into christianity is very interesting.

Last edited:
Mudwhistle got me to thinking about Hogwarts Castle and the real castle that was the inspiration for it:

Hogwarts-Castle.jpg

But most encounters with 'ghosts' that I have read about or that have been told to me have happened in more average, normal places. St. James for instance is not a particularly scary place when you visit, but there is something eerie about those historic old narrow hallways and the rooms that have been preserved much as they were in the wild west days when all the ghosts there were supposed to have lived.

I dated these identical twins back when I first joined the military.

They had a ghost they called "Uncle Charlie" that used to screw with them.

Sometimes she'd be filling up a tub of water start brushing her teeth and look at the tub and see toilet paper thrown all over it.

One time her Dad heard some footsteps coming up the hallway from inside his bedroom. The door was closed so he got out of bed and was about to reach for the doorknob when something slammed into the door from the other side.

Scared the shit out of him.

I don't believe in ghosts, aka, the remnant spirit or soul of once living people, moving among us.

I do believe in demons who will take advantage of people who want to believe there are ghosts.

I respect your views KG, but if the 'beings' thought to be ghosts exist as the people I know have described them, they are neither demonic nor evil, they just are just there. Again, I have not had such an experience so I don't know. I do accept that we know only a tiny fraction of all there is to know about much of anything though, so I don't think it hurts to explore it or at the very least have some fun with it.

One of the most compelling testimonies I've heard were a couple of friends, man and wife, who were retirement age when they rented an old historic house in rural Hawaii. He was a retired Professor of Physics and she was an college level art history teacher. Neither were religious and neither could say they believed in God though the religious beliefs of others didn't bother them at all. And neither had ever thought there was such a thing as disembodied spirits or ghosts or anything like that.

She was the first to spot the being in their rented home and didn't say anything until she had seen him/it two more times and finally, concerned for her sanity, mentioned it to her husband. He nodded and said that he had also encountered the being passing by him in the hall. They described it as a man of average height and girth, dressed in what looked like gardeners clothing, not exactly transparent but not exactly opaque either. It moved silently and did not speak, and it was somehow perceived as peaceful and no threat, but it was most certainly there.

These people are now having to consider that maybe there is such a thing as paranormal experience and even ghosts.

And knowing these people to be well educated, highly intelligent, non believers in spiritual things and most credible, it is just one more piece of evidence to ponder in my informal quest.

I'm off to bed now. Sweet dreams all. :)

I respect that, but I believe that these apparitions exist only to cause people to question the existence of God, and doubt the veracity of the bible. I know intelligent people believe in ghosts, I know intelligent people have experienced the supernatural. I just don't think the supernatural is benevolent, no matter how it appears.

Interesting topic. I've had a couple of experiences in my life where I didn't "see" a ghost but rather felt their presence literally.

When I had TV me and the wife watched a show where this guy took six people to two different locations. One location was "haunted"one was normal. Among this group was three "psychics" and three normal folks. They put the psychics in the place that was normal And told them the story of the haunted area as if it happened there. With the normal folks, they put them in the haunted area with a pen and note pad and asked them to note anything odd. all party's were left over night. In the place that was not haunted, the psychics could feel ghost and all that, among the normals, one person got creaped out and went home. I dont think any of those guys saw ghost. And thees TV ghost hunters, have no alternative but to believe, But in the end, I am of the opinion that they really have to stretch what they call evidence.

That's the part that is still a question for me EC. Are what credible people report seeing actual ghosts? Or some other phenomenon?

Last week we drove out to an old historical ruins near Mountainair NM and then treated our guests to lunch at the historical old Shaffer Motel in Mountainair. The owners of the hotel are convinced the place is haunted and it too has been vetted by 'professional' ghost hunters.

What they got were some unusual recordings and some odd images on the X-spectrum camera. Here's one of the images:

DSC03637.JPG

Now if you caught this on your camera set up to photograph any activity in a darkened hallway, what would you think?

Here's the website to the ghostly activity at the Shaffer Hotel:

Ghost Hunt of the Shaffer Hotel, Mountainair, NM

But going back to the OP, that cowboy in the photo at the St. James Hotel in Cimarron--hoax? Or real? There are those who will swear on their mothers' graves that it is real.

Count me in as a non-believer. Other things I don't believe in:

1. Alien visitation
2. Psychic anything
3. Herbal Medicine
4. Sasquatch
5. Loch Ness monster
6. Abominable Snowman
7. Chupacabra

you dont believe in Alien Visitation?.....how do you explain some of the posters here?....

I have never seen a ghost. Nor have I ever seen evidence to disprove their existence. Therefore logically, I must accept the possibility that they exist.

So I would say yes, but I dont think it's how we traditionally see ghosts as creatures that haunt certain places or people.

If we are looking at a more literal interpretation of what ghost/spirit means, then of course i believe in them because I believe in God. I believe that there are those who have not recieved bodies or who are currently separated from them. Ive had little experience with them as well aside from the Holy Spirit.

I suppose it depends how you interpret.

I'm going to create that "spirit" thread in the religion forum shortly, so those of you who would be interested in that, please look for it.

But now, we are four days aways from Halloween. Mr. Foxfyre is in West Texas helping out his brother all week and won't be home until sometime tomorrow. I wish I knew how to take a pic and transfer it to the computer but Mr. Foxfyre does all that so I can't right now.

But picture our house as an L shape with the garage extending from the right front of the house creating the L.

You walk alongside the garage on the inside of the "L" to approach our front door where there is a wrought iron security gate across the front porch area and then about six feet from the security gate to our front door.

The garage butts up against the house but there is no direct entry from the garage to the house. There is a door exiting the garage onto the front porch between the security gate and front door.

I have not gone anywhere except with others since Mr. Foxfyre left Monday morning so the overhead garage door has not been opened. The interior of the garage appears completely undisturbed. The door from the garage to the front porch is a standard wood door that closes easily and securely. The security gate has remained locked. I keep the front door also locked. I am the only here.

But three times this week that garage door has been ajar. Three times now I have closed, tested it to be sure it was securely closed. So what is opening it?

Frankly, it is creeping me out.

Last edited:
I'm going to create that "spirit" thread in the religion forum shortly, so those of you who would be interested in that, please look for it.

But now, we are four days aways from Halloween. Mr. Foxfyre is in West Texas helping out his brother all week and won't be home until sometime tomorrow. I wish I knew how to take a pic and transfer it to the computer but Mr. Foxfyre does all that so I can't right now.

But picture our house as an L shape with the garage extending from the right front of the house creating the L.

You walk alongside the garage on the inside of the "L" to approach our front door where there is a wrought iron security gate across the front porch area and then about six feet from the security gate to our front door.

The garage butts up against the house but there is no direct entry from the garage to the house. There is a door exiting the garage onto the front porch between the security gate and front door.

I have not gone anywhere except with others since Mr. Foxfyre left Monday morning so the overhead garage door has not been opened. The interior of the garage appears completely undisturbed. The door from the garage to the front porch is a standard wood door that closes easily and securely. The security gate has remained locked. I keep the front door also locked. I am the only here.

But three times this week that garage door has been ajar. Three times now I have closed, tested it to be sure it was securely closed. So what is opening it?

This is the big door right ?

No, not the overhead door for the cars. Just the ordinary people door exiting the garage onto the porch.

No, not the overhead door for the cars. Just the ordinary people door exiting the garage onto the porch.

Thats weird. Any damage to the door jam any where ?

No, none. Nothing. I've tried to force the door open without turning the doorknob and it won't budge. But when turning the knob it unlatches, opens easily and noiselessly, shuts easily and solidly. There is a keyhole in the knob but we've never had a key for that door and have never locked it.

No, none. Nothing. I've tried to force the door open without turning the doorknob and it won't budge. But when turning the knob it unlatches, opens easily and noiselessly, shuts easily and solidly. There is a keyhole in the knob but we've never had a key for that door and have never locked it.

Please leave your exterior lights on at night.

Forum List

Back