GHOSTS!!! Are you a Believer?

Do you believe in ghosts or a spirit world among us?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I don't know but I have an open mind about it.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I get creeped out by the whole concept.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Photoshopping back then was creating a double negative. The process could be controlled but occasionally accidents happened where part of an image was superimposed on the next shot if the photographer forgot to wind the film, it didn't wind all the way through or (if it was a single load) the photographer forgot to replace the last exposure. There are too many valid possible explanations not to mention possible overlay of negatives during the development process. I know, I've developed my own photos before.

There was no film to wind in these cameras. And there was no windable film in cameras in WWI days. You can double expose the film, yes, if you forget to remove the film after a shot and take another over it. I have done that but it is extremely and unmistakably obvious when that happens. There is no indication of any double exposure on the photo in question however. If it had been double exposed it would be obvious through the photo.

Windable roll film was invented in 1881, Eastman bought the patent in 1912 and was used extensively. Also the camera you showed was only one of a dozen professional models not to mention the existence of many personal winding type cameras of the time. The Kodak 1A Pocket camera came out in 1914 and the 2A followed in 1915 and the Brownie was released in 1900. Your post made no reference to the type of camera used. If the settings were wrong and the film not advanced, then another shot was taken with the proper setting you would have a "ghostlike" image show up behind the developed second image, it wasn't all that uncommon.
I used to be an amateur photog from my pre teen days, I collected cameras and have a rather large collection with detailed information on most of them going back to the turn of the century as well as different old, undeveloped film and information about the film, it's attributes and drawbacks, I know a lot about this stuff.

Well I yield of course to the greater wisdom of a camera historian. :) All I know is that we saw, used, or developed no windable film when I was taking college photography and we saw, used, nor developed windable film when I worked on any newspaper I worked on way back when. Based on the sharp focus and contrast, I am reasonably certain the photo in question was taken with a camera similar to the one I posted. And there is no double exposure evident in that photo, and even if there was, it would not explain the image of an airman who had been killed three days before.

There was no film to wind in these cameras. And there was no windable film in cameras in WWI days. You can double expose the film, yes, if you forget to remove the film after a shot and take another over it. I have done that but it is extremely and unmistakably obvious when that happens. There is no indication of any double exposure on the photo in question however. If it had been double exposed it would be obvious through the photo.

Windable roll film was invented in 1881, Eastman bought the patent in 1912 and was used extensively. Also the camera you showed was only one of a dozen professional models not to mention the existence of many personal winding type cameras of the time. The Kodak 1A Pocket camera came out in 1914 and the 2A followed in 1915 and the Brownie was released in 1900. Your post made no reference to the type of camera used. If the settings were wrong and the film not advanced, then another shot was taken with the proper setting you would have a "ghostlike" image show up behind the developed second image, it wasn't all that uncommon.
I used to be an amateur photog from my pre teen days, I collected cameras and have a rather large collection with detailed information on most of them going back to the turn of the century as well as different old, undeveloped film and information about the film, it's attributes and drawbacks, I know a lot about this stuff.

Well I yield of course to the greater wisdom of a camera historian. :) All I know is that we saw, used, or developed no windable film when I was taking college photography and we saw, used, nor developed windable film when I worked on any newspaper I worked on way back when. Based on the sharp focus and contrast, I am reasonably certain the photo in question was taken with a camera similar to the one I posted. And there is no double exposure evident in that photo, and even if there was, it would not explain the image of an airman who had been killed three days before.

It's simple, if the photographer was a member of the squadron then it's possible he could have taken the crewman's picture earlier and forgot or took it by accident. I've accidentally hit the shutter button more times than I'd like to claim, not to mention having some idiot start to open the darkroom door when I was developing film. Some of what came out that, that wasn't completely ruined from the little accident looked like "ghostly pictures". And remember, the old windable film didn't come in cartridges, the cameras had to be loaded and unloaded in a dark room, under a heavy blanket or in a black cloth bag specifically designed for the task.
All I'm saying it there are too many potential variables involved to make a definitive declaration and I would lean towards a human error scenario on this one.

When I was stationed in Okinawa I saw shit that would turn you WHITE! :eek:

I'm aleady white. But I'd be curious to know what you saw.
Most of this occured on Kadena AB:

The bedroom of the on base quarters we had was noticeably colder than the rest of the house, you could feel it when you walked in. Our neighbors dogs were always barking at our bedroom window even though we had covered the inside of the window with aluminum foil because I worked nights. We had neighbors upstairs but sometimes they sounded like they were walking on shoes of bricks. On more than one occasion I went upstairs to ask them to quiet down only to find no one home!

One Christmas I came home from work and as I walked in I saw my then-wife staring at the Christmas tree. I turned to look at the tree and I see that one ornament is rocking back and forth! Not like a leaf in a breeze but like a pendulum in an old Grandfather clock, like some invisible hand was moving it. The instant I saw it slowed down and stopped. I asked my then-wife; "How long has that been going on?". She said, "About 2 hours".

She told me once that she had fallen asleep on the couch and was dreaming that she was floating. When she woke up she said the couch was 3 feet off the floor! She yelled at whatever was doing it to put her down and the couch slowly settled back to the floor. I figgered she had just hallucinated it in a "twilight moment" between sleep and reality but I noticed something. There were scrape marks on the wall behind the couch that went up about three feet! Yeah, she and a few of her friends could have faked that but I don't think she did.

We later found out through others that lived in the area that a few years earlier a woman had committed suicide in our bedroom after finding out her husband had cheated on her!

We moved to Futenma housing on Camp Foster but it didn't stop. My ex was a nurse and she said that sometimes spirits of the people who died during her shift followed her home in her car! She said sometimes she'd be on the way home and look in the rear view mirror and see someone in the back seat! I didn't witness any of that but I shit you not, this is what she told me. The spirit would want to come into our house and stay! My ex- said she would get home and sit in the front seat and not get out until the spirit understood it had passed away and left for good.

She also said that a certain spirit who was all white and wearing a hat would follow her around. I was with her a few times when she saw it and pointed it out. I never saw anybody or anything but I have no doubt that she did see something!

I have never seen a ghost or a spirit but I'm convinced they exist. In what shape or form I have no idea but they exist. Many times in my life I've been alone in a room and felt that someone was in the room looking at me! Nothing evil, just curious. Also, I'm convinced that my Grandfather, who flew bombers in WWII, is my Guardian Angel. I'm always thinking about what he would do in a situation and often ask his advice as to what to do.

Also, because of all this I don't allow any non-biblical stuff in my house. Ouija-Boards, Tarot Cards and the like are strictly verbotten in my house. We've had a Priest bless both of the houses we lived in. This may sound funny but the Priest also said that as the man of the family and head of the household I have to take ownership and control of the house. He (and in one case she) recommended that I stand in the house and declare to any spirit that may be living there:

"I am the master of this house! You will not cause mayhem or sorrow here! If you are peaceful and friendly to us you can stay but if you seek to harm us and upset our peace, YOU MUST LEAVE!"

I know it sounds crazy but I've done that in both houses my wife and I bought and they've stayed calm and peaceful!

So that's my story and I swear on the lives of both my children it's true!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back