Gettysburg

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
July 1 - 3 is the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. Just spent a few days there. Awesome. Wish I could have stayed for the re-enactments.

It was really hard to choose just a few photos.

HPIM0282.jpg

HPIM0229.jpg

HPIM0230.jpg

HPIM0276.jpg

Pennsylvania Monument

HPIM0293.jpg

HPIM0234.jpg

Seminary Ridge

HPIM0277.jpg

HPIM0284.jpg

McPherson's barn, the only structure still standing

HPIM0294.jpg

Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia in distance

HPIM0297.jpg

In Position

HPIM0306.jpg

Little Round Top

HPIM0308.jpg

Col. Chambers' statue, atop Little Round Top

HPIM0302.jpg

Valley of Death

HPIM0267.jpg

HPIM0274.jpg

HPIM0272.jpg

Until recently, only the bodies of Union soldiers were permitted to be buried here.

HPIM0284.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics AllBiz, they're really nice.
This barn is visible from Hwy 30, Lincoln Way. Go north for about 15 minutes and you'll arrive at my house!
In the three years we've lived here we've been to Gettysburg numerous times. It's so large you can discover something new every time you visit.
I work with a guy who does the reenactments at Gettysburg and other Civil War sites. He also had a bit part in the movies "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals".

HPIM0284.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics AllBiz, they're really nice.
This barn is visible from Hwy 30, Lincoln Way. Go north for about 15 minutes and you'll arrive at my house!
In the three years we've lived here we've been to Gettysburg numerous times. It's so large you can discover something new every time you visit.
I work with a guy who does the reenactments at Gettysburg and other Civil War sites. He also had a bit part in the movies "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals".

Stayed right at Lincoln Square -- a circle really, as you know. lol

Just recently saw "Gods and Generals" -- quite coincidentally after I had made the plans for the trip.

And I can understand the "new discoveries" having done other similar trips. Did so much damned walking, finally had to give in and take a bus tour yesterday. Great guide too - 70 something and was born and raised right there.

I used to live in Frederick, MD and I would go to Gettysburg fairly often. What a place. It's so reverend there for the fallen soldiers that the birds weren't even singing in the cemetary. Loved my many visits there. I have an old Navy buddy who lives there in Gettysburg. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Gettysburg is a site I've visited 3 times, the last 4 years ago. So haunting and at the same time beautiful. If ever a place for ghosts, this would be it.

I'd recommend anyone with children 5th grade or above to take it into consideration for vacation destination. The cemetery, the fields, the monuments, the museum-with wonderful battles enactment.

Every time I visited, I left for DC, I'd not be comfortable staying in Gettysburg. Though with each visit, I've seen more and more. Same with DC for that matter. Another great place to stop, Ft. McHenry, just a short drive from DC. Been there twice now, would love to get there again.

My sister in law attends the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I'll have to swing thru Gettysburg next time we drive out there.

Ah, ABiz, thanks for the memories, you've brought back GREAT ones from when I was a kid. My dad would take our family there quite a bit on vacations, he was a real history buff.

Great pics!

My sister in law attends the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I'll have to swing thru Gettysburg next time we drive out there.

I've probably spent 20 hours or even more there. Haven't come close to really seeing all. It's so 'big', yet so 'small.' As I alluded to, haunting.

I've probably spent 20 hours or even more there. Haven't come close to really seeing all. It's so 'big', yet so 'small.' As I alluded to, haunting.

I can only imagine. Arlington has that feeling as well.

I can only imagine. Arlington has that feeling as well.

Yes, it does. I've always entered it with tears. Yet, like Gettysburg, there's something uplifting there too. I think, Pride.

Gettysburg is a site I've visited 3 times, the last 4 years ago. So haunting and at the same time beautiful. If ever a place for ghosts, this would be it.

I'd recommend anyone with children 5th grade or above to take it into consideration for vacation destination. The cemetery, the fields, the monuments, the museum-with wonderful battles enactment.

Every time I visited, I left for DC, I'd not be comfortable staying in Gettysburg. Though with each visit, I've seen more and more. Same with DC for that matter. Another great place to stop, Ft. McHenry, just a short drive from DC. Been there twice now, would love to get there again.

Originally from Baltimore, I never got to Fort McHenry before we moved out (as a young teen). Took my son back to DC the summer after his 8th grade took a class trip there. Another great trip, after fighting the traffic of course. Going to try to go back to Williamsburg in August, after our family reunion, but that's not a definite yet.

Indeed.... The "Ghost Tour" we took was terrific!

Originally from Baltimore, I never got to Fort McHenry before we moved out (as a young teen). Took my son back to DC the summer after his 8th grade took a class trip there. Another great trip, after fighting the traffic of course. Going to try to go back to Williamsburg in August, after our family reunion, but that's not a definite yet.

If you get back there, I know the 'best restaurant' I've EVER been to. But damn if I can remember the name. I just called my bro and got his secretary, he's in the midst of changing from 'uniform' to 'man clothes.' LOL! So I'm waiting for his call back. My guess is he will remember. I'm good at ideas, he's great at memory. We'll see.

10 minutes later, well he hasn't called back yet. I've got stuff to do, so I'll get back to this post. Seriously, if in Baltimore, got to try this restaurant.

Funny thing, I think it's pretty close to where "Ace of Cakes' place is.

If you get back there, I know the 'best restaurant' I've EVER been to. But damn if I can remember the name. I just called my bro and got his secretary, he's in the midst of changing from 'uniform' to 'man clothes.' LOL! So I'm waiting for his call back. My guess is he will remember. I'm good at ideas, he's great at memory. We'll see.

10 minutes later, well he hasn't called back yet. I've got stuff to do, so I'll get back to this post. Seriously, if in Baltimore, got to try this restaurant.

Funny thing, I think it's pretty close to where "Ace of Cakes' place is.

Been back to the city and the area, just not to the historic sites yet. Visited a friend on the eastern shore a few years ago when we went to DC. Dayum.... I'd kill for some Maryland crab....

I was there in Late August of 2008. We were going to the PA Renfest and since we were already down there, detoured for an evening to Gettysburg. We purchased the CD for doing the car tour but I hear that the ghost walk at night is pretty awesome.

The Cemetery was humbling. We plan on going back soon.

Thanks for the pictures, it looks beautiful. That was a sad sad time for America. I must visit there sometime.

Glad you enjoyed the very brief tour. Had so many pics, it was hard to choose just a few. Next stop, Williamsburg -- again.

If any physical locale in the US deserves to be referred to as "hallowed ground", Gettysburg in general and Cemetary Ridge in particular should be the Number One candidates. The stand of Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine at the Battle of Little Round Top is the stuff of legend.

Forum List

Back