Getting to the heart of the country's problems

Discussion in 'Education' started by MaggieMae, Oct 19, 2010.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    WE'RE NO. 1(1)!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/opinion/12friedman.html?ref=thomaslfriedman

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    :clap2:

So much in this country is going in a downward spiral;
    Our democratic process has gone from bringing out the best in America to bringing out the worst in Americans,
    the ever growing segments of our population that either lack personal responsibility or lack the ability to care for others,
    going from "I understand what you are saying but disagree with what you said" to "I don't care what you are saying, you are a fucking idiot."

Frankly, I'm surprised we are doing as good as we are.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    "Oil addiction"? LOL what do you think won WWII - hybrid vehicles?

4. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The so called Greatest Generation didn't grow up watching television having their heads filled with bullshit by marketing idiots.

Psychology is the study of not thinking and trying to manipulate people into not thinking.

psik

5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    That's very true, although I don't think the intent is to create non-thinkers. People just need to have the ability to sort out fact from fiction because there's nothing that can be done about the long reach of the media and the Internet. It's gonna be with us forever.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    As I recall, Obama frequently used the term "sacrifice" during his campaign and as now in office. I don't agree with his politics or policies, but it's the public who's unwilling to step up to the plate. Maybe not so much as a nation, but as individuals. On a personal level in everyday life. The little things add up.

7. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That is a very interesting part of the problem. It isn't just sorting fact from fiction it is finding the IMPORTANT FACTS that have a tendency to completely disappear. That is why I emphasize the non-thinking. When no one supplies the most important facts how do you think? The competing propagandists just try to get people to believe the distorted perspectives.

psik

8. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    With each political talk show lasting around one hour, the problem has become getting in on the game of the juiciest story du jour and staying on point for that entire hour. Thus ignoring, as you say, the most important facts of other issues of much more importance.

Case in point, Afghanistan is always very much an important newsworthy subject, and right now the situation there could well come to a head at any moment. What if the Karzai government and the Taliban actually DO come to some kind of truce, or better, a peaceful arrangement. Could that mean that American and NATO troops could start withdrawing even sooner? Is anyone seriously discussing this? Only CNN that I can tell from my morning channel surfing ritual.

9. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    the greatest generation were taught by their aprents and schools about American exceptionalism, devine providence, and fucking common decency, respect, and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Something Wilson and FDR began destroying for other generations.

They were great because they were as a whole, the last generation to fully embody the American spirit.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  10. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    it starts at the beginning....the self esteem mantra.....you or the individual is so important, your feelings take precedence, there's no room for consideration for others because you come first, you hurt is always the worst hurt and your satisfaction is always paramount.....its downhill form there.