Getting started in the stock market

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
So I am considering investing a little money in the stock market...don't expect to hit it big or anything although that would be great...any tips? My grandmother invests mostly in utilities,apple,amazon,netflix etc my grandfather left her a nice nest egg when he passed so she has continued doing it using Edward Jones. I am not sure I want to pay someone to do that for me...always been pretty independent on doing things myself if I can. I am also a lot younger than she is and can be more aggressive. I am considering investing in marijuana stocks especially a company out of Canada that has signed a contract with the Alberta government and is expected to boom in the next 5-10 years. Its still early for these stocks and its cheap to buy right now...I am cool with waiting 5-10 years for a nice return if it happens I also know its a big risk but I think things are trending in favor of legalization eventually in all 50 states for marijuana even though I disagree with it personally. What else is a up and coming stock I could invest in? Any ideas?

So I am considering investing a little money in the stock market...don't expect to hit it big or anything although that would be great...any tips? My grandmother invests mostly in utilities,apple,amazon,netflix etc my grandfather left her a nice nest egg when he passed so she has continued doing it using Edward Jones. I am not sure I want to pay someone to do that for me...always been pretty independent on doing things myself if I can. I am also a lot younger than she is and can be more aggressive. I am considering investing in marijuana stocks especially a company out of Canada that has signed a contract with the Alberta government and is expected to boom in the next 5-10 years. Its still early for these stocks and its cheap to buy right now...I am cool with waiting 5-10 years for a nice return if it happens I also know its a big risk but I think things are trending in favor of legalization eventually in all 50 states for marijuana even though I disagree with it personally. What else is a up and coming stock I could invest in? Any ideas?
/----/ With the democRATs ready to unleash their 1,000 Trump investigations and roadblocks any more bills to help the economy will be sent to the circular file cabinet. Do as I'm doing and stay in cash.

Last edited:
Set up a trial portfolio and see how you get on with that for a while before using proper money.

Type in DIP stocks. You will see a lot of companies (20 to 50 out of more than 2,000) that will sell stocks to you directly at a discount to the market price. That discount is so the company can avoid underwriting fees while they issue more equity to reduce their leverage costs. With the fed raising interest rates this is needed to keep the company solvent. Good luck and make granny proud of you.

Type in DIP stocks. You will see a lot of companies (20 to 50 out of more than 2,000) that will sell stocks to you directly at a discount to the market price. That discount is so the company can avoid underwriting fees while they issue more equity to reduce their leverage costs. With the fed raising interest rates this is needed to keep the company solvent. Good luck and make granny proud of you.
/---/ A newbie to the market won't have a clue as to what you mean.

Invest only what you can afford to lose.

Look at Barchart it's a decent site for investors

/----/ With the democRATs ready to unleash their 1,000 Trump investigations and roadblocks any more bills to help the economy will be sent to the circular file cabinet. Do as I'm doing and stay in cash.

With the Dims on the verge of taking over, I would recommend stocks that do well with illicit drugs, repo services, undertakers, and gambling. Putting your money into weed sounds like a good start, people will need a whole lot more of it.

Also invest in guns once the Dims take over. Business is always the most brisk when Dims take the White House. They are the best advertisement for gun dealers.

Last edited:

SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY)

I am using STASH online I invested 10$ into some marijuana stock and fixing to do 10 in things like Amazon,Netflix etc...can anyone suggest some books or articles or newspapers to read every day to understand what my stock is doing etc? I have never really paid attention to the stock market because I was so damn poor it didn't really matter to me but I figured I would take a chance on 20$ see what happens.

I am using STASH online I invested 10$ into some marijuana stock and fixing to do 10 in things like Amazon,Netflix etc...can anyone suggest some books or articles or newspapers to read every day to understand what my stock is doing etc? I have never really paid attention to the stock market because I was so damn poor it didn't really matter to me but I figured I would take a chance on 20$ see what happens.
The best returns I've gotten over the past 30 years have been through good companies that consistently pay and RAISE their dividend. You can speculate on hitting it big with a Pot stock or whatever but very few people make money that way.

all it requires is a, "risk capital petty cash fund".

you could try the penny stocks or options.

Forum List

Back