Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

1. No I am not upset at all.
2. Just sharing the rep device.
3. Did you go *Whaaa*?
4. LOL!!!!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

get used to the rep thing, particularly the negative function, if you keep posting the way you do.

There are plenty of people on this board that know i can debate in a well reasoned manner with people who disagree with me, you on the other hand basically just spout conspiracy talking points, in some byzantine format that makes me think you are either an uber troll, or maybe slightly brain damaged.

you sir, get a garfield derp

garfield-derp-500x430.jpg

1. Marty ol chap, you still don't realize I don't give a fuck about the rep here, but you do its plain to see.
2. I've made it clear here, I couldn't care less, so if you feel the itch to ding my rep, go for it!.:eusa_whistle:
3. Rep's for pussies.:lol:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Mother kills autistic son...
:cuckoo:
Mother Admits Killing Severely Autistic Son
Monday May 09, 2011 - A mother has admitted killing her severely autistic son, but denies murder, a jury has heard.
Yvonne Freaney, 49, strangled 11-year-old Glen Freaney with her coat belt as he lay on a bed in their hotel room nearly a year ago, Cardiff Crown Court was told. She then lay down beside him and attempted to take her own life, the jury heard. Police found the child's body lying on a bed, dressed and tidy, with stuffed soft toys resting in his arms, in a room at the Sky Plaza Hotel in Rhoose, near Cardiff, on May 15, 2010. His mother, from Penarth, a few miles southwest of the city, told the officers: "I strangled him. He's in heaven now where he won't be autistic, he'll be happy now." She was taken to hospital by ambulance with cuts to her wrists, arms and legs.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Greg Taylor QC said: "This is going to be a difficult case. He was a young boy who suffered from very severe autism." He added: "The defence case will be that at the time Mrs Freaney was suffering such abnormality of mind as to substantially diminish her responsibility for the offence. "This is commonly referred to as 'diminished responsibility'. "However, it is our contention that this is a straightforward case of murder and that is the correct verdict." The jury was told that Mrs Freaney pleaded guilty to the charge of manslaughter and admits unlawfully killing her son, but denies murder.

Mrs Freaney, sitting quietly in the dock with her head bowed throughout, listened as the judge asked the jury to approach the evidence dispassionately, not emotionally. The jury was then shown what is understood to be a suicide note written by Mrs Freaney to Glen's older brother Ross, who suffered from Asperger's Syndrome and was 14 at the time. Found in her locker at the RAFA club where she volunteered, it read: "Dear Ross, I am very sorry for what I've done. You may not think it but I've always loved you. Just think of it as I'm finally getting rest.

"I wish you all the luck, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly in the future and I would be very proud of you. "Please, please, I beg of you, don't grow up to be like your father. "Even though I'm not there - please try to forgive me. Lots of love and eternal hugs, mummy." The prosecution then detailed a string of alleged domestic violence suffered by Mrs Freaney at the hands of her husband, former RAF officer, Mark Freaney. A text message sent by Mr Freaney to a friend in January last year read: "Yes I'm a wife-beater and proud of it, she deserves it." The pair split in March 2010.

MORE

Mother kills autistic son...
:cuckoo:
Mother Admits Killing Severely Autistic Son
Monday May 09, 2011 - A mother has admitted killing her severely autistic son, but denies murder, a jury has heard.
Yvonne Freaney, 49, strangled 11-year-old Glen Freaney with her coat belt as he lay on a bed in their hotel room nearly a year ago, Cardiff Crown Court was told. She then lay down beside him and attempted to take her own life, the jury heard. Police found the child's body lying on a bed, dressed and tidy, with stuffed soft toys resting in his arms, in a room at the Sky Plaza Hotel in Rhoose, near Cardiff, on May 15, 2010. His mother, from Penarth, a few miles southwest of the city, told the officers: "I strangled him. He's in heaven now where he won't be autistic, he'll be happy now." She was taken to hospital by ambulance with cuts to her wrists, arms and legs.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Greg Taylor QC said: "This is going to be a difficult case. He was a young boy who suffered from very severe autism." He added: "The defence case will be that at the time Mrs Freaney was suffering such abnormality of mind as to substantially diminish her responsibility for the offence. "This is commonly referred to as 'diminished responsibility'. "However, it is our contention that this is a straightforward case of murder and that is the correct verdict." The jury was told that Mrs Freaney pleaded guilty to the charge of manslaughter and admits unlawfully killing her son, but denies murder.

Mrs Freaney, sitting quietly in the dock with her head bowed throughout, listened as the judge asked the jury to approach the evidence dispassionately, not emotionally. The jury was then shown what is understood to be a suicide note written by Mrs Freaney to Glen's older brother Ross, who suffered from Asperger's Syndrome and was 14 at the time. Found in her locker at the RAFA club where she volunteered, it read: "Dear Ross, I am very sorry for what I've done. You may not think it but I've always loved you. Just think of it as I'm finally getting rest.

"I wish you all the luck, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly in the future and I would be very proud of you. "Please, please, I beg of you, don't grow up to be like your father. "Even though I'm not there - please try to forgive me. Lots of love and eternal hugs, mummy." The prosecution then detailed a string of alleged domestic violence suffered by Mrs Freaney at the hands of her husband, former RAF officer, Mark Freaney. A text message sent by Mr Freaney to a friend in January last year read: "Yes I'm a wife-beater and proud of it, she deserves it." The pair split in March 2010.

MORE

And he was better off than my 23 year old in at least he could communicate with a dynavox. My son can't even do that. I feel for her.....I've felt the same way she did at times. IMO, she should go to an institution, she needs counseling more than anything. Not Guilty by reason of insanity sounds good to me, but then I know personally what she's going through, it's easy to judge when you are looking at it from the outside.

Sorry bout that,

1. Drug companies fucked up two peoples lives.
2. If they would not dump all these drugs and mercury into the children, this would of never have happened.
3. But there are billions upon billions to be made, so damn it, they are going to have it!
4. Still makes me madder than hell!!!!!
5. Fucking bastards!!!!!!!!!!!
6. I'm done.
7. Rant off.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

2. If they would not dump all these drugs and mercury into the children, this would of never have happened.
3. But there are billions upon billions to be made, so damn it, they are going to have it!
6. I'm done.
7. Rant off.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There is no scientific study to link autism to vaccines, but there is a lot of coincidental evidence. Vaccines increased in the early 90s and autism frequency went on a parabolic curve. Thousand upon thousands of children were apparently developing normal and regressed into a work of autism upon receiving theire MMR shots.

The increase in autism rules out genetic factors alone. genetics play a role due to increased rates of autism within families. There has to be one more trigger. Could autism be one of the triggers? Nothing proved, but then again, what else has. About 1% of autism is straight genetics.

Could there be a cover up regarding the autism/vaccine length? There is enough motivation to provide such an incentive. In addition our government is interested in protecting itself against biological terrorism.

Autism is a problem of gigantic proportions. Should we stop vaccines? No, vaccines do a lot of good. However, until we can ascertain what causes autism, maybe we should resist the pressure of the medical/pharmaceutical/CDC community and show common sense with vaccines. Let's change the schedule to give small children more time to adjust. That means single vaccine shots. Maybe we do not need to vaccinate for chicken pox. of course such a policy will cut profit margins.

Personal note: My son was developing normally, had his MMR shot and immediately regressed into autism. Even though we diagnosed him early, it has been a fight to obtain services and caring for him is a living hell. We know many other parents and this story repeats itself over and over. This is a human tragedy of immense proportions.

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

6. I'm done.
7. Rant off.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There is no scientific study to link autism to vaccines, but there is a lot of coincidental evidence. Vaccines increased in the early 90s and autism frequency went on a parabolic curve. Thousand upon thousands of children were apparently developing normal and regressed into a work of autism upon receiving there MMR shots.

The increase in autism rules out genetic factors alone. genetics play a role due to increased rates of autism within families. There has to be one more trigger. Could autism be one of the triggers? Nothing proved, but then again, what else has. About 1% of autism is straight genetics.

Could there be a cover up regarding the autism/vaccine length? There is enough motivation to provide such an incentive. In addition our government is interested in protecting itself against biological terrorism.

Autism is a problem of gigantic proportions. Should we stop vaccines? No, vaccines do a lot of good. However, until we can ascertain what causes autism, maybe we should resist the pressure of the medical/pharmaceutical/CDC community and show common sense with vaccines. Let's change the schedule to give small children more time to adjust. That means single vaccine shots. Maybe we do not need to vaccinate for chicken pox. of course such a policy will cut profit margins.

Personal note: My son was developing normally, had his MMR shot and immediately regressed into autism. Even though we diagnosed him early, it has been a fight to obtain services and caring for him is a living hell. We know many other parents and this story repeats itself over and over. This is a human tragedy of immense proportions.

1. There is a study, but thy bashed it, and the doctors who made it, and threatened anyone who thought about trying that again.:evil:
2. This money cow is more important than your rat children!
3. They couldn't care less your child get burnt!
4. This is *THE* sad facts.
5. Stop the enabling of this process, your child has been robbed his normal future, my heart cries out for you, and yours should be crying out as well!!!!!
6. I will get this process changed, with my rants, right here!!!
7. So fuck anyone of you fucks who say, lets keep doing what we are doing, *FUCK YOU*!!!!:eek:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

6. I'm done.
7. Rant off.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

There is no scientific study to link autism to vaccines, but there is a lot of coincidental evidence. Vaccines increased in the early 90s and autism frequency went on a parabolic curve. Thousand upon thousands of children were apparently developing normal and regressed into a work of autism upon receiving theire MMR shots.

Professionals in the autism community, while saying that vaccines are safe, do not get their own children vaccinated until they are 3 years old.....I think that's pretty telling right there. Hindsight is 20/20, I would have done things very differently if I had kids today.

Hey, troll thread!

no, autism and vaccines has absolutely no correlation, scientifically speaking.

now, mental damage and floride; thats some oppressed information right there-and never properly discredited.

Take the floride out of our water, only topical application has ever been shown to have a positive effect on teeth; consumption never has. Even wikipedia has had the "brain damage" aspect of the controversies scrubbed from it. Chinese, Canadian, British science has all stopped administering floride, and shown links to brain disorders.

Hey, troll thread!

no, autism and vaccines has absolutely no correlation, scientifically speaking.

now, mental damage and floride; thats some oppressed information right there-and never properly discredited.

Take the floride out of our water, only topical application has ever been shown to have a positive effect on teeth; consumption never has. Even wikipedia has had the "brain damage" aspect of the controversies scrubbed from it. Chinese, Canadian, British science has all stopped administering floride, and shown links to brain disorders.

There is no fluoride in the water in our city. I love how you snuck in "scientifically speaking". Politically speaking, we know there is a link or they wouldn't have put that rider on the Patriot act at the last minuted protecting Ely Lilly from being sued specifically for causing autism.

Many, many parents will tell you "it's the vaccines." No one knows the child better than the parents. As for me, it was the Patriot Act that convinced me it was the vaccines. No reason for that rider unless they do cause autism. Meanwhile my doctor still swears it's not the vaccines and he has no idea why they stuck on that rider....personally, I don't think he wants to admit that he may have played a small part in what happened to my children. I don't blame him, as the parent I was the one who should have done the research FIRST, before getting them vaccinated instead of just following along with what the doctor said.

Thimerosal
Information about Thimerosal

Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.
CDC - Mercury and Thimerosal - Vaccine Safety

>>

Journal Retracts Controversial Study Linking MMR Vaccine, Autism
The Lancet's Decision Could Ease Parental Resistance to Vaccination

By David Mitchell
2/10/2010

The Lancet has fully retracted the 1998 study that linked autism to the measles, mumps and rubella, or MMR, vaccine after an independent panel recently concluded that the study was flawed and its lead author's conduct was "dishonest, irresponsible and misleading."
Journal Retracts Controversial Study Linking MMR Vaccine, Autism -- AAFP News Now -- American Academy of Family Physicians

>>

The medical journal The Lancet has retracted the 1998 article that was the first to link the MMR vaccine to autism. The withdraw comes hot on the heels of a hearing that found Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the author of that article, acted unethically during the experiments listed in the article.

Full retractions from journals are rare; it is tantamount to saying that the article should have never been published. With this move, The Lancet is effectively stating that the conclusions drawn in the article were incorrect. Put simply, they are saying the conclusion that the MMR vaccine is linked to the development of autism that the article claimed was not good science.

Journal withdraws the original MMR vaccine-autism study

Disease prevention is the key to public health. It is always better to prevent a disease than to treat it. Vaccines prevent disease in the people who receive them and protect those who come into contact with unvaccinated individuals. Vaccines help prevent infectious diseases and save lives. Vaccines are responsible for the control of many infectious diseases that were once common in this country, including polio, measles, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), rubella (German measles), mumps, tetanus, and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).

Vaccine-preventable diseases have a costly impact, resulting in doctor's visits, hospitalizations, and premature deaths. Sick children can also cause parents to lose time from work.

Each child is born with a full immune system composed of cells, glands, organs, and fluids that are located throughout his or her body to fight invading bacteria and viruses. The immune system recognizes germs that enter the body as "foreign" invaders, or antigens, and produces protein substances called antibodies to fight them. A normal, healthy immune system has the ability to produce millions of these antibodies to defend against thousands of attacks every day, doing it so naturally that people are not even aware they are being attacked and defended so often (Whitney, 1990). Many antibodies disappear once they have destroyed the invading antigens, but the cells involved in antibody production remain and become "memory cells." Memory cells remember the original antigen and then defend against it when the antigen attempts to re-infect a person, even after many decades. This protection is called immunity.

Vaccines contain the same antigens or parts of antigens that cause diseases, but the antigens in vaccines are either killed or greatly weakened. When they are injected into fatty tissue or muscle, vaccine antigens are not strong enough to produce the symptoms and signs of the disease but are strong enough for the immune system to produce antibodies against them (Tortora and Anagnostakos, 1981). The memory cells that remain prevent re-infection when they encounter that disease in the future. Thus, through vaccination, children develop immunity without suffering from the actual diseases that vaccines prevent.
Vaccines: Vac-Gen/How Vaccines Prevent Disease

As recently as the 1950s, about 20,000 people per year in the United States were affected by poliovirus. The number of paralytic polio cases fell to less than 100 per year in the 1960s because of the institution of the polio vaccine. In 1994, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Western hemisphere free of the wild-type poliovirus. The WHO also organized a worldwide vaccination program to eradicate the disease. They believe the end of polio to be in the near future.
Medscape: Medscape Access

Because of the efforts of programs like the Expanded Programme on Immunization, global immunization coverage was over 70% in the 1990s. However, almost 11 million children under the age of five years die each year because they did not receive recommended childhood vaccinations (UNICEF, 2002). In 1999, measles and hepatitis B (HBV) had the highest mortality of vaccine-preventable diseases, with each resulting in the deaths of about 900,000 people. During that same year, it was estimated that pertussis, Haemophilus influenzae Type B (Hib), and tetanus were each responsible for approximately 300,000 to 400,000 deaths. Further more, polio and diphtheria were responsible for less than 1,000 and 5,000 deaths, respectively (Kane, 2002).

In the United States, there has been a reduction of more than 99% in disease due to measles because of extensive use of the measles vaccine (CDC, 2003). Ensuring the completion of the measles vaccination schedule has been shown to decrease measles outbreaks (Vitek, Aduddell, Brinton, Hoffman & Redd, 1999).

Hib meningitis used to be responsible for about 600 child deaths in the United States each year and for leaving many survivors devastated. In December of 1987, Hib conjugate vaccine was developed and occurrence of Hib dropped by 98%.
Medscape: Medscape Access

Thimerosal

Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure.

>>

Journal Retracts Controversial Study Linking MMR Vaccine, Autism
The Lancet's Decision Could Ease Parental Resistance to Vaccination

By David Mitchell
2/10/2010

The Lancet has fully retracted the 1998 study that linked autism to the measles, mumps and rubella, or MMR, vaccine after an independent panel recently concluded that the study was flawed and its lead author's conduct was "dishonest, irresponsible and misleading."
Journal Retracts Controversial Study Linking MMR Vaccine, Autism -- AAFP News Now -- American Academy of Family Physicians

>>

The medical journal The Lancet has retracted the 1998 article that was the first to link the MMR vaccine to autism. The withdraw comes hot on the heels of a hearing that found Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the author of that article, acted unethically during the experiments listed in the article.

Full retractions from journals are rare; it is tantamount to saying that the article should have never been published. With this move, The Lancet is effectively stating that the conclusions drawn in the article were incorrect. Put simply, they are saying the conclusion that the MMR vaccine is linked to the development of autism that the article claimed was not good science.

Last I read, thermerisol is in the hepatitis B shots which is given to infants before they even leave the hospital. And again, why the rider if it doesn't cause autism? Just for the fun of it?

Thimerosal

>>

>>

Last I read, thermerisol is in the hepatitis B shots which is given to infants before they even leave the hospital. And again, why the rider if it doesn't cause autism? Just for the fun of it?

Last you read? Does this mean you didn't just read my post? :(

FACT:

Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is NOT used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLs60ZaNW4]YouTube - Banning DiHydrogen Monoxide - Penn and Teller[/ame]

Despite considerable publicity, there is no evidence linking MMR vaccination with the development of autism. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website ( Vaccines: HOME page for Vaccines and Immunizations site ) provides further information.

The potential benefits from receiving the MMR vaccine far outweigh the potential risks. Measles, mumps, and rubella are all very serious illnesses, and each can have complications that lead to lifetime disabilities or even death.
MMR vaccine: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

>>

Timeline: Thimerosal in Vaccines (1999-2008)

The following timeline shows key activities performed by CDC, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) concerning thimerosal in vaccines from 1999 to 2008.

Ongoing. CDC is conducting a thimerosal and autism study in the U.S. managed care organizations to find out if exposure to thimerosal in infancy is related to the development of autism.

Ongoing. A study being completed in Italy compares the prevalence of nervous system disorders among children who were exposed to different amounts of thimerosal in vaccines during infancy.

September 27. A CDC study does not support an association between early exposure to thimerosal in vaccines and nervous system disorders in children between the ages of 7 and 10 years.

July 7. CDC issues a statement on autism and thimerosal that states in part "Some people believe increased exposure to thimerosal (from the addition of important vaccines recommended for children) explains the higher prevalence [of autism] in recent years. However, evidence from several studies examining trends in vaccine use and changes in autism frequency does not support such an association.

September 26. In a statement prepared for the Coalition for Mercury-free Drugs, the FDA concludes that the evidence reviewed by the IOM in 2004 does not support an association between thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism.

May 28. ACIP recommends that children between the ages of 6 and 23 months routinely receive an inactivated influenza (flu) vaccine. ACIP does not recommend using the thimerosal-free flu vaccine over the thimerosal-containing flu vaccine, and states that the benefits of flu vaccination outweigh any risk from thimerosal exposure.

May 17. After reviewing scientific studies that examined thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism, IOM concludes in a report that the studies "consistently provided evidence of no association between thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism."

November. A study finds no consistent significant associations between exposure to thimerosal-containing vaccines and a variety of kidney, nervous system, and developmental problems.

August. Another study looks for a link between autism incidence and the use of thimerosal-containing vaccines. The study does not find a link between thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism in Denmark and Sweden, where autism rates continued to increase although thimerosal was removed from vaccines in 1992.

January. The last children's vaccines that use thimerosal as a preservative expire.

Except for influenza (flu), thimerosal is removed from or reduced in all vaccines routinely recommended for children 6 years of age and under manufactured for the U.S. market.

October 1. IOM's Immunization Safety Review Committee issues a report concluding there is not enough evidence to disprove claims that thimerosal in childhood vaccines causes autism, attention deficit hypersensitivity disorder, or speech or language delay.

May 5. A risk assessment of thimerosal use in childhood vaccines finds no evidence of harm from the use of thimerosal as a preservative, other than redness and swelling at the injection site.

June 7 and 8. Fifty-one vaccine and vaccine safety researchers and experts meet at the Simpsonwood Retreat Center in Atlanta, GA to review data regarding thimerosal in vaccines and nervous system disorders. A report summarizing the meeting was presented to ACIP.

The FDA reviews the use of thimerosal in childhood vaccines and finds no evidence of harm, but as a precautionary measure, recommends removing thimerosal from vaccines routinely given to infants.

November 5. CDC states that vaccine manufacturers, FDA, and other agencies are working together to reduce the amount of thimerosal in vaccines, or to replace them with thimerosal-free vaccines, as soon as possible.

October 20. ACIP reviews information about thimerosal in vaccines provided by CDC's National Immunization Program and several vaccine manufacturers regarding the availability of vaccines that do not contain thimerosal as a preservative.

July 7. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Public Health Service issue a joint statement that says "there is no data or evidence of any harm caused by the level of exposure that some children may have encountered in following the existing immunization schedule." The American Academy of Family Physicians issues a comparable statement soon after.

CDC - Thimerosal Timeline - Vaccine Safety

Last edited:
Thimerosal in Vaccines

Thimerosal in Vaccines

Table of Contents

The Safety Review of Thimerosal-containing Vaccines and Neurodevelopmental Disorders Conducted by the Institute of Medicine

In 2001, the Institute of Medicine convened a committee (the Immunization Safety Review Committee) to review selected issues related to immunization safety. [For more information regarding this committee, their charge, and their reports, find the link to IOM's Web site in "Related Links" below.] The IOM has, to date, completed reviews in two areas. The first review by this committee focused on a potential link between autism and the combined mumps, measles, and rubella vaccine. The second review focused on a potential relationship between thimerosal use in vaccines and neurodevelopmental disorders (IOM 2001). This latter issue was brought to the fore primarily as the result of the hypothesis, formulated by S. Bernard and others from Cure Autism Now, that autism is a novel form of mercury poisoning (Bernard et al. 2001); this hypothesis, linking autism to mercury, was based on a comprehensive review of the scientific literature on mercury toxicity.

In its report of October 1, 2001, the IOM's Immunization Safety Review Committee concluded that the evidence was inadequate to either accept or reject a causal relationship between thimerosal exposure from childhood vaccines and the neurodevelopmental disorders of autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and speech or language delay. Additional studies were needed to establish or reject a causal relationship. The Committee did conclude that the hypothesis that exposure to thimerosal-containing vaccines could be associated with neurodevelopmental disorders was biologically plausible.

The Committee believed that the effort to remove thimerosal from vaccines was "a prudent measure in support of the public health goal to reduce mercury exposure of infants and children as much as possible." Furthermore, in this regard, the Committee urged that "full consideration be given to removing thimerosal from any biological product to which infants, children, and pregnant women are exposed."

In 2004, the IOM's Immunization Safety Review Committee issued its final report, examining the hypothesis that vaccines, specifically the MMR vaccines and thimerosal containing vaccines, are causally associated with autism. In this report, the committee incorporated new epidemiological evidence from the U.S., Denmark, Sweden, and the United Kingdom, and studies of biologic mechanisms related to vaccines and autism since its report in 2001. The committee concluded that this body of evidence favors rejection of a causal relationship between thimerosal-containing vaccines and autism, and that hypotheses generated to date concerning a biological mechanism for such causality are theoretical only. Further, the committee stated that the benefits of vaccination are proven and the hypothesis of susceptible populations is presently speculative, and that widespread rejection of vaccines would lead to increases in incidences of serious infectious diseases like measles, whooping cough and Hib bacterial meningitis.

The FDA is continuing its efforts to reduce the exposure of infants, children, and pregnant women to mercury from various sources. Discussions with the manufacturers of influenza virus vaccines (which are now routinely recommended for pregnant women and children 6-23 months of age) regarding their capacity to potentially increase the supply of thimerosal-reduced and thimerosal-free presentations are ongoing. Discussions are also underway with regard to other vaccines. Of note, all hepatitis B vaccines for the U.S., including for adults, are now available only as thimerosal-free or trace-thimerosal-containing formulations. In addition, all immune globulin preparations including hepatitis B immune globulin, and Rho(D) immune globulin preparations are manufactured without thimerosal. For additional information on the issue of thimerosal in vaccines, see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Table of Contents

Tables

Table 1. Thimerosal Content of Vaccines Routinely Recommended for Children 6 Years of Age and Younger
Vaccine Tradename
(Manufacturer) Thimerosal Status Concentration**(Mercury) Approval Date for Thimerosal Free or Thimerosal / Preservative Free (Trace Thimerosal)*** Formulation
DTaP Infanrix
(GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free Never contained more than a trace of thimerosal, approval date for thimerosal-free formulation 9/29/2000
Daptacel
(Sanofi Pasteur, Ltd) Free Never contained Thimerosal
Tripedia
(Sanofi Pasteur, Inc) Trace(≤0.3 µg Hg/0.5mL dose) 03/07/01
DTaP-HepB-IPV Pediarix
(GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free Never contained more than a Trace of Thimerosal, approval date for thimerosal-free formulation 1/29/2007
DTaP-IPV/Hib Pentacel (sanofi pasteur Ltd.) Free Approved June 20, 2008, never contained thimerosal
DTaP-IPV KINRIX (Glaxo SmithKline Biologicals) Free Approved October 8, 2009, never contained thimerosal
Pneumococcal conjugate Prevnar
(Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc) Free Never contained Thimerosal
Prevnar 13 (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc.) Free Approved February 24, 2010, never contained thimerosal
Inactivated Poliovirus IPOL
(Sanofi Pasteur, SA) Free Never contained Thimerosal
Varicella (chicken pox) Varivax
(Merck & Co, Inc) Free Never contained Thimerosal
Mumps, measles, and rubella M-M-R-II

Mumps, measles, rubella and varicella ProQuad (Merck & Co., Inc.) Free Approved September 6, 2005, never contained thimerosal.
Heptatitis A Havrix (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free Never contained thimerosal
Vaqta (Merck & Co., Inc.) Free Never contained thimerosal
Hepatitis B Recombivax HB
(Merck & Co, Inc) Free 08/27/99
Engerix B
(GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free 03/28/00, approval date for thimerosal-free formulation 1/30/2007
Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate (Hib) ActHIB
(Sanofi Pasteur, SA)
OmniHIB
(GlaxoSmithKline) Free Never contained Thimerosal
PedvaxHIB
(Merck & Co, Inc) Free Approval date for thimerosal free formulation 08/99
HIBERIX (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free Approved August 19, 2009, never contained thimerosal
Hib/Hepatitis B combination Comvax

Seasonal Trivalent

Influenza
Fluzone (multi-dose presentation)
(Sanofi Pasteur, Inc) 0.01% (12.5 µg/0.25 mL dose, 25 µg/0.5 mL dose)2
Fluzone (single-dose presentation)
(Sanofi Pasteur, Inc)3 Free 12/23/2004
Fluvirin (multi-dose presentation)
(Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Ltd) 0.01% (25 µg/0.5 mL dose)
Fluvirin (single dose presentation)
(Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Ltd)
(Preservative Free) Trace (<1ug Hg/0.5mL dose) 09/28/01
Fluarix (single-dose presentation) (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free Approved 10/19/09, never contained thimerosal

Afluria (multi-dose presentation)

(CSL Limited)
0.01% (24.5 µg/0.5 mL dose)
Afluria (single-dose presentation) (CSL Limited) Free Approved 11/10/09, never contained thimerosal
Seasonal Influenza, live FluMist
(MedImmune Vaccines, Inc) Free Never contained Thimerosal
Rotavirus RotaTeq (Merck and Co., Inc.) Free Approved February 3, 2006, never contained thimerosal
Rotarix (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals) Free Approved April 3, 2008, never contained thimerosal

** Thimerosal is approximately 50% mercury (Hg) by weight. A 0.01% solution (1 part per 10,000) of thimerosal contains 50 µg of Hg per 1 mL dose or 25 µg of Hg per 0.5 mL dose.
*** The term "trace" has been taken in this context to mean 1 microgram of mercury per dose or less.
1 HibTiITER was also manufactured in thimerosal-preservative containing multidose vials but these were no longer available after 2002.
2 Children 6 months old to less than 3 years of age receive a half-dose of vaccine, i.e., 0.25 mL; children 3 years of age and older receive 0.5 mL.
3 A trace thimerosal containing formulation of Fluzone was approved on 9/14/02 and has been replaced with the formulation without thimerosal.

Thimerosal in Vaccines

Last edited:

Last you read? Does this mean you didn't just read my post? :(

FACT:

Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal is NOT used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines.

David Kirby: New Study: Hepatitis B Vaccine Triples the Risk of Autism in Infant Boys

Now, a new study has shown that giving Hepatitis B vaccine to newborn baby boys may triple the risk of developing an autism spectrum disorder.

David Kirby
David Kirby

Author/Journalist
Posted: September 17, 2009 02:24 PM
BIO Become a Fan
Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index
New Study: Hepatitis B Vaccine Triples the Risk of Autism in Infant Boys
Inspiring
Enlightening
Crazy
Scary
Helpful
Amazing
Innovative
Important
Read More: Annals Of Epidemiology , Autism , Cdc , Hepatitis a , Vaaccines , Living News

share this story
Get Living Alerts
Submit this story
digg reddit stumble

"The science is largely complete. Ten epidemiological studies have shown MMR vaccine doesn't cause autism; six have shown thimerosal doesn't cause autism."-- Dr. Paul Offit, "Autism's False Prophets"

"16 studies have shown no causal association between vaccines and autism, and these studies carry weight in the scientific industry."-- Dr. Nancy Snyderman, NBC Today Show Medical Editor

Conventional wisdom holds that the autism-vaccine question has been "asked and answered," and that at least 16 large, well-constructed epidemiological studies have thoroughly addressed and debunked any hypothesis that childhood vaccination is in any way associated with an increased risk for autism spectrum disorders.

But there are several critical flaws in such an oversimplified generalization, and they are rarely given close examination by public health experts or members of the media.

To begin with, it is unscientific and perilously misleading for anyone to assert that "vaccines and autism" have been studied and that no link has been found. That's because the 16 or so studies constantly cited by critics of the hypothesis have examined just one vaccine and one vaccine ingredient.

And, the population studies themselves have had critical design flaws and limitations.

The current US childhood immunization schedule calls for 28 injections with 11 different vaccines against 15 different diseases by two years of age. Of those 11 vaccines, only the Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) shot has been studied in association with autism, (although a CDC study of an MMR-plus-chickenpox vaccine did show that the risk for febrile seizures in infants was doubled.) Meanwhile, those 11 vaccines contain scores of ingredients, only one of which, thimerosal, has ever been tested in association with autism.

It is illogical to exonerate all vaccines, all vaccine ingredients, and the total US vaccine program as a whole, based solely on a handful of epidemiological studies of just one vaccine and one vaccine ingredient. It is akin to claiming that every form of animal protein is beneficial to people, when all you have studied is fish.

Now, a new study has shown that giving Hepatitis B vaccine to newborn baby boys may triple the risk of developing an autism spectrum disorder.

An abstract of the study was published in the September, 2009 issue of the respected journal Annals of Epidemiology. In it, Carolyn Gallagher and Melody Goodman of the Graduate Program in Public Health at Stony Brook University Medical Center, NY, wrote that, "Boys who received the hepatitis B vaccine during the first month of life had 2.94 greater odds for ASD compared to later- or unvaccinated boys."

The conclusion states that: "Findings suggest that U.S. male neonates vaccinated with hepatitis B vaccine had a 3-fold greater risk of ASD; risk was greatest for non-white boys." The authors used U.S. probability samples obtained from National Health Interview Survey 1997-2002 datasets.

Critics will point out that this sample was limited to boys born before 1999, so the results are only applicable to that U.S. male birth cohort, and that the study's cross-sectional design limits inferences on causality. Another weakness is that the autism diagnoses were parent reported.

On the other hand, these results are generalizable to US boys age 3-17 born prior to 1999; vaccination status was confirmed through medical records; and there was controlling for confounders that may be associated with care seeking behaviors. (The P-value equaled 0.032) The full manuscript is currently under review by another journal.

Assuming that the full manuscript is published in a peer-reviewed journal, it will be among the first university-based population studies to suggest an association between a vaccine and an increased risk for autism. And that would be in direct contradiction to all those MMR and thimerosal studies that purportedly found no such link.

Does that mean that Hepatitis B vaccine causes autism? Of course not (though any relative risk above 2.0 is generally considered to prove causation in a US court of law).

But there are other studies, both published and greatly anticipated, which might support a hypothesized causal association between HepB vaccine and ASD, at least in boys.

Any day now, data culled from CDC's Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring network (ADDM), is expected to be published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, and the numbers are expected to put the rate of autism at around 1 in 100, or higher.

ADDM researchers examine the education and (when possible) medical records of all eight-year-old children in selected US cities and states. They look only at eight-year-old cohorts to allow time for all diagnoses to be made, reported and counted.

So far, ADDM has published data from just two birth cohorts: children born in 1992 (eight-year-olds in 2000) and those born in 1994 (eight-year-olds in 2002). The 1992 cohort revealed an estimated ASD rate of one in 166, or 60-per-10,000. (This has since been revised to 67-per-10,000, or one in 150).
For the 1994 cohort, the estimate was virtually unchanged, at 66-per-10,000.

But now that number is expected to exceed 100-per-10,000 for the 1996 birth cohort, born just two years later. The overarching question, of course, will be, "why?"

There are many possible explanations, though a 50% increase in just two years is astonishing, no matter what its cause.

One possible answer is the Hepatitis B vaccine,
(which also contained 25 micrograms of mercury containing thimerosal up until 2002). Introduced in 1991, it was the first vaccine ever given on a population basis to newborn babies (within the first three hours after delivery) in human history.
But according to the CDC's National Immunization Survey, only 8% of infant children received the Hep B vaccine in 1992, when that birth cohort showed an ASD rate of 1-in-150.

Last edited:
That article you post is citing an ongoing study from '09 which has merely a hypothesis based on correlation which has yet to be proven as causation by the vaccine itself or the preservative which no longer exists in the vaccine.

The author opines as if vaccines aren't thoroughly tested in the fist place before they are even approved...

David Kirby

Author/Journalist

Posted: September 17, 2009 02:24 PM

Conventional wisdom holds that the autism-vaccine question has been "asked and answered," and that at least 16 large, well-constructed epidemiological studies have thoroughly addressed and debunked any hypothesis that childhood vaccination is in any way associated with an increased risk for autism spectrum disorders.

But there are several critical flaws in such an oversimplified generalization, and they are rarely given close examination by public health experts or members of the media.

To begin with, it is unscientific and perilously misleading for anyone to assert that "vaccines and autism" have been studied and that no link has been found. That's because the 16 or so studies constantly cited by critics of the hypothesis have examined just one vaccine and one vaccine ingredient.

"16 studies have shown no causal association between vaccines and autism, and these studies carry weight in the scientific industry."-- Dr. Nancy Snyderman, NBC Today Show Medical Editor

Recent estimates from CDC's Autism Developmental Disabilities Monitoring network found that about 1 in 150 children have ASD. This estimate is higher than estimates from the early 1990s. Some people believe increased exposure to thimerosal (from the addition of important new vaccines recommended for children) explains the higher prevalence in recent years. However, evidence from several studies examining trends in vaccine use and changes in autism frequency does not support such an association.

CDC - Concerns About Autism - Vaccine Safety

Forum List

Back