Getting serious about civil discourse

Outrage that produces no solutions is counterproductive. When did just yelling at each other ever solve anything?

Dammit, Maggie, I hope you don't expect us to all play nice! :eek:

Hey, when even you and I can still disagree but stop calling each other fucking bitches, anyone can!!

Ahhhh, we're not calling each other fucking bitches anymore? dammit. I'm not sure I like this civil discourse.

Dammit, Maggie, I hope you don't expect us to all play nice! :eek:

Hey, when even you and I can still disagree but stop calling each other fucking bitches, anyone can!!

Ahhhh, we're not calling each other fucking bitches anymore? dammit. I'm not sure I like this civil discourse.

fighting0088.gif

LOL. Civility in political discourse makes about as much sense as trying to take score-keeping out of youth sports. The whole idea that I, or anyone else with political viewpoints they rigorously believe in should be forced to stand around and listen to the comments of an individual we have nothing in common with based solely on the idea of being polite to them is ludicrous. Why waste that time when you know nothing they say will change your mind?

Who's forcing you?

LOL. Civility in political discourse makes about as much sense as trying to take score-keeping out of youth sports. The whole idea that I, or anyone else with political viewpoints they rigorously believe in should be forced to stand around and listen to the comments of an individual we have nothing in common with based solely on the idea of being polite to them is ludicrous. Why waste that time when you know nothing they say will change your mind?

Then carry on with screeching and name calling and embellishing and lying. There will always be some who do that; hopefully once people become ADULTS, they try to restrain themselves, but apparently growing up is a diminishing endeavor. Ironically, with all the noise, all we're doing is "wasting time." Or haven't you noticed...

does this mean i have to stop being outraged?

i don't know if i'm prepared for that.

Just until there is a republican in office again. Then Liberals will be screaming about how Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism and being anything but civil. Just like they were for 8 years under Bush.

Really guys, after 8 Years of the lowest, most uncivil Discourse in modern times. Now all of the sudden you are crying for civil discourse. Truly laughable.

The "Center" is proof of two things:

- George H.W. is getting senile
- Clinton is continuing his normal pattern of doing ANYTHING for attention

After the epic fail of Haiti Relief efforts, he needs a new Agenda.

LOL, can you imagine being lectured on civility by a serial adulterer President who was impeached for lying and obstruction of justice.

how could anyone keep a straight face?

And I guess the protesters in Wisconsin or the 14 Democrat Fleebaggers didn't get the message they WERE suppose to be and do things, civilly.:lol::eusa_whistle:

Once again, two presidents are coming together to address a common problem. They're giving voice to the hysterics that pass for political debate today.

National Institute for Civil Discourse to open at University of Arizona
Former presidents Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush will serve as honorary chairmen of a new center at the University of Arizona that will focus on civility in political debate, university officials will announce Monday.

The National Institute for Civil Discourse - a nonpartisan center for debate, research, education and policy about civility in public discourse - will open Monday in Tucson. It was created in the aftermath of the Jan. 8 shootings in the city where six people were killed and 13 injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.).

Former Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O'Connor and former Senate majority leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) will serve as honorary co-chairmen. Board members will include former secretary of state Madeleine K. Albright; Kenneth M. Duberstein, chief of staff to President Ronald Reagan; Fox News anchor Greta Van Susteren; Trey Grayson, director of Harvard University's Institute of Politics; and former representative Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.).

"This institute is the right people in the right place at the right time," said Fred DuVal, vice chairman of the Arizona Board of Regents and former co-chairman of Giffords's finance committee.

The center will be funded with private donations, and $1 million has already been raised, said DuVal, who will head the working board of the institute, which is his brainchild. The institute plans to organize workshops and conferences in Tucson, Washington and elsewhere nationwide, and will bring together leaders from across the political spectrum to develop programs to promote civil discourse.

"Our country needs a setting for political debate that is both frank and civil," Bush said in a statement.

Bought and paid for??? The Puppet Masters are taking a break from riling up the locals??? Pretty funny. ;)

Civil discourse is just Democratic speak for, our message is better and you NEED to listen. Problem is, I've already heard the talk and firmly reject it. Next.

Anmerican are, I think, long pas the time when civil discourse is on the agenda.

Decades of hateful propaganda designed to make Americans hate their fellow Americans does have consequences.

As long as that hate was controlled by the RNC nd DNC it wasn't though much of a problem.

But as POLS are now finding themselves targets of the looser cannons that they THEIR OWN PROPAGANDA unhinged?

Suddenly they're all about supporting civility.

Ain't gonna happen, Pols.

Your propagandists set loose the hounds of war and those hounds are not going back on the leash anytime soon.

Reap what you sow, Masters of the Universe.

Last edited:
We need to be lectured on civility in public discourse? How insulting!

How about we just be civil with one another? Is it really that difficult to not be angry at someone else for disagreeing with us? Is it difficult to not secretly want our political "opponents" dead? Is it that difficult to actually discuss issues rather than call each other names? Is it that difficult to listen and try to understand what the other person is thinking even if you don't agree?

I dont think it really is. Just respect your fellow man, even if you disagree with them. Let's lecture less and be civil more.

The "Center" is proof of two things:

- George H.W. is getting senile
- Clinton is continuing his normal pattern of doing ANYTHING for attention

After the epic fail of Haiti Relief efforts, he needs a new Agenda.

The epic fail in Haiti was because the promised donations fell far short. A no-brainer.

Once again, two presidents are coming together to address a common problem. They're giving voice to the hysterics that pass for political debate today.

National Institute for Civil Discourse to open at University of Arizona
Former presidents Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush will serve as honorary chairmen of a new center at the University of Arizona that will focus on civility in political debate, university officials will announce Monday.

The National Institute for Civil Discourse - a nonpartisan center for debate, research, education and policy about civility in public discourse - will open Monday in Tucson. It was created in the aftermath of the Jan. 8 shootings in the city where six people were killed and 13 injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.).

Former Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O'Connor and former Senate majority leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) will serve as honorary co-chairmen. Board members will include former secretary of state Madeleine K. Albright; Kenneth M. Duberstein, chief of staff to President Ronald Reagan; Fox News anchor Greta Van Susteren; Trey Grayson, director of Harvard University's Institute of Politics; and former representative Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.).

"This institute is the right people in the right place at the right time," said Fred DuVal, vice chairman of the Arizona Board of Regents and former co-chairman of Giffords's finance committee.

The center will be funded with private donations, and $1 million has already been raised, said DuVal, who will head the working board of the institute, which is his brainchild. The institute plans to organize workshops and conferences in Tucson, Washington and elsewhere nationwide, and will bring together leaders from across the political spectrum to develop programs to promote civil discourse.

"Our country needs a setting for political debate that is both frank and civil," Bush said in a statement.

Bought and paid for??? The Puppet Masters are taking a break from riling up the locals??? Pretty funny. ;)

Can you share the joke? I don't get any part of it. Puppet masters? Who? Taking a break? From what? Riling up the locals? Who?

LOL, can you imagine being lectured on civility by a serial adulterer President who was impeached for lying and obstruction of justice.

how could anyone keep a straight face?

And I guess the protesters in Wisconsin or the 14 Democrat Fleebaggers didn't get the message they WERE suppose to be and do things, civilly.:lol::eusa_whistle:

Yeah, I guess you'd rather hear lectures on morality from Newt Gingrich, like he did at the Christian Coalition Conference last night. At least Clinton only had one wife.

Civil discourse is just Democratic speak for, our message is better and you NEED to listen. Problem is, I've already heard the talk and firmly reject it. Next.

Then carry on acting like little children. Your choice. Eventually, no one will listen.

We need to be lectured on civility in public discourse? How insulting!

How about we just be civil with one another? Is it really that difficult to not be angry at someone else for disagreeing with us? Is it difficult to not secretly want our political "opponents" dead? Is it that difficult to actually discuss issues rather than call each other names? Is it that difficult to listen and try to understand what the other person is thinking even if you don't agree?

I dont think it really is. Just respect your fellow man, even if you disagree with them. Let's lecture less and be civil more.

I agree, but why isn't that happening? Who, what is to blame? This article sets it out quite clearly, covering all bases.

Disgusted by discourse | The Journal Gazette | Fort Wayne, IN
...Further, political observers have for years wished the public would care more about politics and participate more, so it is somewhat disingenuous to then want to undercut citizens’ motivations. These motivations, however, may minimize civility.

The parties continue to purify themselves ideologically through primary elections. Moderates from both parties have struggled in primary elections in recent years against ideological challengers, leaving even fewer in Congress willing to compromise.

Increasing civility

There are numerous suggestions long floated for increasing civility. Some call on cable news to seat less oppositional guests for debates. Others say those in Congress should pursue outside friendships with partisan opponents.

Indeed, despite their strong partisan differences, college political party leaders from 14 universities – including IPFW – posted 10 meaningful tips for improved civility on the center’s website at a national conference in May 2010 at Allegheny College.

But citizens cannot control many of these methods for bringing back civility. Citizens can control their own comments. Rather than clamming up on divisive topics, citizens should discuss politics more one on one with friends, co-workers and neighbors of different political persuasions. We cannot decide media content or politicians’ posturing, but we can control our deliberations. This is not Pollyannaish. Our findings showed the forces working against civility: different news sources, different sources of blame for incivility, and an aversion by many to politicians who compromise.

All of these can be short-circuited through discussion with those with different political views. Differing political partisan views and disagreements are not the enemy of civility. Meaningful one-on-one political disagreement is not the same as flaming opposing views on message boards or through blogs.

Forum List

Back