Getting really old...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I was at church yesterday and the sermon touched on the famous "40 years wandering in the desert."

I remembered when I first heard about that as a kid, and I thought, "40 years!!! That's a couple of lifetimes!" And so it seemed.

But whilst daydreaming on the subject later yesterday it occurred to me that if I had been among the Hebrews heading out for the desert in the year I got married (1973)...then wandered with them in the desert for 40 years (more or less), I would have been lapping up the milk & honey in the "promised land" for about 6 years by now.

40 years? That's nothing.

I'm getting really old.

I was at church yesterday and the sermon touched on the famous "40 years wandering in the desert."

I remembered when I first heard about that as a kid, and I thought, "40 years!!! That's a couple of lifetimes!" And so it seemed.

But whilst daydreaming on the subject later yesterday it occurred to me that if I had been among the Hebrews heading out for the desert in the year I got married (1973)...then wandered with them in the desert for 40 years (more or less), I would have been lapping up the milk & honey in the "promised land" for about 6 years by now.

I'm getting really old.
Always laughed at that story. Either the days were really short or someone had a very bad sense of direction. No matter how long you rested at each stop 40 years is a long time to be lost in a desert. The law of averages would mean that eventually you would stumble out before then.

the point wasnt

I'm getting really old.
Always laughed at that story. Either the days were really short or someone had a very bad sense of direction. No matter how long you rested at each stop 40 years is a long time to be lost in a desert. The law of averages would mean that eventually you would stumble out before then.
the point wasnt that they were lost, but it was necessary to take that long to kill off all the old people to lose the slave mentality so the future generation could understand freedom without all the old slave attitude

same should apply today but the democrat and republican partys keep the slave mentality alive

I'm getting really old.
I think you missed the point.

God wanted the generation that had sinned to die off, so he befuddled them so that they could NOT find their way out. They were deliberately exiled into the wasteland for 40 years.

I'm getting really old.
I guess April first and religion does not go together.

I'm getting really old.

And you're sideways too. Been meaning to tell you.

40 years doesn't seem that long. I'm thinking back to 1979, many cherished adventure memories still quite fresh.

I'm getting really old.

40 years doesn't seem that long. I'm thinking back to 1979, many cherished adventure memories still quite fresh.

I'm getting really old.

Is that 1979? :dunno:

I would catch occasional snippets of what US pop music was degrading to around then and thinking it was a good time to be living abroad. And the broad agreed. :eusa_shifty:

Come to think of it I guess that was about the same time I looked at the state of music and went "there's gotta be more than this shit".

I'm getting really old.

I would catch occasional snippets of what US pop music was degrading to around then and thinking it was a good time to be living abroad. And the broad agreed. :eusa_shifty:

Come to think of it I guess that was about the same time I looked at the state of music and went "there's gotta be more than this shit".

It still got airtime in 1979. I was looking at the top songs then, in the days before formatted radio. Kinda wish there was an unformatted station now.

You got "The Gambler", "Shooting Star", "I want you to want me", and "We are family" too.

I also miss tube tops and short shorts with no bra!

I'm getting really old.

It still got airtime in 1979. I was looking at the top songs then, in the days before formatted radio. Kinda wish there was an unformatted station now.

You got "The Gambler", "Shooting Star", "I want you to want me", and "We are family" too.

I also miss tube tops and short shorts with no bra!

Hate to be the one to break this but ---- bras aren't worn in the shorts anyway. Only in special events.

Tube tops were of course replaced with transistors. Much smaller.

Formatted radio is da debbil. I studiously avoided it. And when they tried to hang it on me I subverted it. And I'm proud of that. One example from an April 1st of many years past: I opened the mic and said "good morning, for the next 3 hours I'll give you music like this" and started Bruce Springstein's "Born to Run". Let it play 8 bars. Then I cut off the turntable power and let it grind to a halt on the air, said "April Fool" and put on the real music. :)

Last edited:

I'm getting really old.

Old guy huh? We know how to deal with old guys,

5C7520A0-355F-4115-A83E-E177F60B181D.png

the point wasnt

But whilst daydreaming on the subject later yesterday it occurred to me that if I had been among the Hebrews heading out for the desert in the year I got married (1973)...then wandered with them in the desert for 40 years (more or less), I would have been lapping up the milk & honey in the "promised land" for about 6 years by

I'm getting really old.
the point wasnt that they were lost, but it was necessary to take that long to kill off all the old people to lose the slave mentality so the future generation could understand freedom without all the old slave attitude

same should apply today but the democrat and republican partys keep the slave mentality alive
----------------------------------------- seems to me that its just the reverse nowadays isn't it as its the youngsters , millennials and their kids that are the Slave or 'subject' mentality isn't it ProH .

Forum List

Back