Getting money out of politics

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Bernie Sanders brought to the fore the problem that big money was buying politicians and buying elections. Some people are taking on this problem.

A group of fiery progressives led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York is poised to take seats on the powerful House Financial Services Committee, posing a big challenge for new Chairwoman Maxine Waters.

Waters, a Los Angeles Democrat, is a liberal icon in her own right. But as head of the committee, she will have to play the role of peacemaker to bring together the new members with moderates on the panel — some of whom are wary of primary threats stoked by their colleagues on the left.

In addition to Ocasio-Cortez, attention-grabbing freshman Reps. Katie Porter of California, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts are expected to land spots on the committee, which oversees Wall Street and the nation's housing market.

The addition of lawmakers who have shunned corporate campaign donations and taken on their party's establishment is a major victory for progressives looking to counter the influence of more business-friendly Democrats.

"I don't take corporate PAC money," said Porter, a law professor and protege of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). "I think we're going to see some other members put on the committee who don't take corporate PAC money. This is going to change the perspective on the committee and the issues it chooses to focus on."

Freshman Dems feeling the heat as shutdown drags on

Not mentioned is the fact that Tulsi Gabbard swore off PAC money and won her last election with 85% of the vote.

It seems that getting money out of politics is possible. Just stop taking it.

Bernie Sanders brought to the fore the problem that big money was buying politicians and buying elections. Some people are taking on this problem.

A group of fiery progressives led by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York is poised to take seats on the powerful House Financial Services Committee, posing a big challenge for new Chairwoman Maxine Waters.

Waters, a Los Angeles Democrat, is a liberal icon in her own right. But as head of the committee, she will have to play the role of peacemaker to bring together the new members with moderates on the panel — some of whom are wary of primary threats stoked by their colleagues on the left.

In addition to Ocasio-Cortez, attention-grabbing freshman Reps. Katie Porter of California, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts are expected to land spots on the committee, which oversees Wall Street and the nation's housing market.

The addition of lawmakers who have shunned corporate campaign donations and taken on their party's establishment is a major victory for progressives looking to counter the influence of more business-friendly Democrats.

"I don't take corporate PAC money," said Porter, a law professor and protege of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). "I think we're going to see some other members put on the committee who don't take corporate PAC money. This is going to change the perspective on the committee and the issues it chooses to focus on."

Freshman Dems feeling the heat as shutdown drags on

Not mentioned is the fact that Tulsi Gabbard swore off PAC money and won her last election with 85% of the vote.

It seems that getting money out of politics is possible. Just stop taking it.

We first need to get politics out of "money". We have so many corrupt policies funneling money to powerful interests. They all need to be banned: Ten Examples of Welfare for the Rich and Corporations | HuffPost

all the good candidates in the Senate who are populist cannot win if campaign finance reform is enacted. i'm consistent on this.

Forum List

Back