GET THIS. CHINA IS IMPOSING TARIFS ON AMERICAN GOOD AND FOOD (like Chicken)

The trouble is that China has never genuinely accepted the basic rules governing the world economy. China follows those rules when they suit its interests and rejects, modifies or ignores them when they don't. Every nation, including the United States, would like to do the same, and most have tried. What's different is that most other countries support the legitimacy of the rules -- often requiring the sacrifice of immediate economic self-interest -- and none is as big as China....
[/QUOTE]

Amen. But I think we should try coordinated multilateral QE before we risk embargoes. Esp if our goal is to reinforce the rules of the world economy.

On the other hand our twin deficits are fully the result of skewed rules, and China intends to alter that.

They need us too you know.

Oh I know they do, and maybe, just maybe they are trying to capitalize on this election season as a window of opportunity.

But look around the last few weeks, everybody is picking up the pace of debasement and China is playing hardball!

They began these sanctions by asking US firms to voluntarily participate in a study of the righteousness of the US chicken industry. Then they determined that we were practicing protectionism.

So what did they do? Those firms who participated will face a 50% tariff while those that refused will face a 105% tariff.

I agree with Neub in saying "fuck China".

But a world trade war is a BAD idea. It may even provoke a world war. Or another cold war, or something new and more horrible yet. But it could easily provoke a world wide recession.

And look at us with gridlocked congress and Obama as our leadership!

Workers of the world unite against communist imperialism!

WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE AGAINST COMMUNIST IMPERIALISM!

Boy is this fun!

Boy is this fun!

then you should try masturbation!

WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR! WAR!

DEATH TO CHINESE IMPERIALISM!

THERE IS NO REASON FOR CHINESE PRODUCTS TO BE ALLOWED IN THE UNITED STATES WHEN WE CAN MAKE ALL OF OUR OWN. IT WILL TAKE A FEW MONTHS, BUT WE CAN DO IT.

DEATH TO CHINA! DEATH TO CHINESE IMPERIALISM. THIS IS WAR TO THE END.

It is time for the American people in righteous indignation to fight back. Boycott any Communist product. Death to China!

Do you realize that the cost of products would rise dramatically if they were produced here. Chinese products are here to stay ... unless there is a war over Tawain and like I said before we would not intervene if the Chinese take Taiwan over. Our economies are too intertwined now to go to war over a fromer Chinese province.

Last edited:

THERE IS NO REASON FOR CHINESE PRODUCTS TO BE ALLOWED IN THE UNITED STATES WHEN WE CAN MAKE ALL OF OUR OWN. IT WILL TAKE A FEW MONTHS, BUT WE CAN DO IT.

It is time for the American people in righteous indignation to fight back. Boycott any Communist product. Death to China!

Do you realize that the cost of products would rise dramatically if they were produced here. Chinese products are here to stay ... unless there is a war over Tawain and like I said before we would not intervene if the Chinese take Taiwan over. Our economies are too intertwined now to go to war over a fromer Chinese province.

Do you have any idea what the cost of putting all of these unemployed on welfare is?
We need to put Americans back to work. It should be illegal to buy goods produced in a Slave Labor system. Let's shut all of the Walmarts down.

Robert Samuelson thinks we're heading for a trade war:

That is exactly what I am calling for.

Workers of America Unite. No more Chink Shit in America.

I had to laugh out loud when you posted that we could replace our imports from China within a few months.
Yes, we could actually do it in less than that, but I know that there are a lot of ignorant people on this forum who do not know that most of the factories are still here.

Taiwan is totally a Chinese issue. Our Issue is American Jobs for Americans. That is all there is to it.

GET THIS. CHINA IS IMPOSING TARIFFS ON AMERICAN GOOD AND FOOD (like Chicken)

Ahead of the Bell: China imposes tariff on chicken
Chicken producers shares could fall after China imposes duties on US chicken imports

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of the nation's chicken producers could tumble on Monday after China said it will slap a hefty tariff on U.S. chicken imports to combat what it says are unfairly low prices.

The Chinese government said Sunday that its investigation found that U.S. chicken products are being sold at low prices which undermine the local market. New import duties ranging from 50.3 percent to as much as 105.4 percent will take effect Monday and last for five years.

Beijing and Washington also are embroiled in disputes over access to each other's markets for steel pipes, movies and books and other goods. The trade disputes have proliferated as the two governments try to boost exports amid weak demand. They have accused each other of protectionism that they say could slow a global recovery.

THAT IS IT, SHUT THE DAMNED DOORS. BECAUSE WE ARE BUYING THEIR CHEAP PRODUCTS, WE ARE BUILDING CHINA INTO A SUPER POWER WHILE OUR PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR JOBS!!!!!!!!

I AM CALLING FOR AN IMMEDIATE SHUTTING OF US PORTS TO CHINESE PRODUCTS.

Join me in this quest. We have to tell Congress to shut the doors NOW!!!!

We should impose a 20% import tax on all chinese goods and 100% of the proceeds (after using the tax revenue to pay for collection of said tax) should go towards paying down our national debt.

This would also help make our own goods more competitive in our home market.

Screw china, lol.

I wanted to double check some facts before posting:

Argentina is planting soybeans for export to China and the price that the farmers get make the production of domestic chicken or cattle feed counterproductive in fact the Argentine cattle herd and chicken flock is shrinking fast.

Brazil likewise is planting soybeans as cattle/chicken feed and to a lesser degree direct exports to the Far East.

In addition to the 10 to 1 increase in shipping costs in switching from packaged/processed meat to feed imports the alternative of buying chicken from Brazil could trigger ecological tariffs by the EU.

This is a truly stupid time to pull this stunt given the weather disasters in Pakistan and Russia because US farmers have plenty of places to export as charitable organizations buy up the food China doesn't.

So let's see urban food riots and strikes over food prices China, little damage to the US and the answer is pop some corn.

GET THIS. CHINA IS IMPOSING TARIFFS ON AMERICAN GOOD AND FOOD (like Chicken)

Ahead of the Bell: China imposes tariff on chicken
Chicken producers shares could fall after China imposes duties on US chicken imports

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of the nation's chicken producers could tumble on Monday after China said it will slap a hefty tariff on U.S. chicken imports to combat what it says are unfairly low prices.

The Chinese government said Sunday that its investigation found that U.S. chicken products are being sold at low prices which undermine the local market. New import duties ranging from 50.3 percent to as much as 105.4 percent will take effect Monday and last for five years.

Beijing and Washington also are embroiled in disputes over access to each other's markets for steel pipes, movies and books and other goods. The trade disputes have proliferated as the two governments try to boost exports amid weak demand. They have accused each other of protectionism that they say could slow a global recovery.

THAT IS IT, SHUT THE DAMNED DOORS. BECAUSE WE ARE BUYING THEIR CHEAP PRODUCTS, WE ARE BUILDING CHINA INTO A SUPER POWER WHILE OUR PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR JOBS!!!!!!!!

I AM CALLING FOR AN IMMEDIATE SHUTTING OF US PORTS TO CHINESE PRODUCTS.

Join me in this quest. We have to tell Congress to shut the doors NOW!!!!

We should impose a 20% import tax on all chinese goods and 100% of the proceeds (after using the tax revenue to pay for collection of said tax) should go towards paying down our national debt.

This would also help make our own goods more competitive in our home market.

Screw china, lol.

Why not lol, They do it to us, and we call it fair trade :)

As a person who buys $100,000's a month of paper...

China has been engaging in grossly unfair trade practices for years.
In the paper industry finally just this past month they added a 17% tarrif to Chinese board paper. In the process China is directly responsible for closing numerous paper mills in the U.S.
And when I say finally...I mean it is about f*cking time. It was proven beyond argument that China was:

1) Selling board paper below manufacturing cost
2) Misrepresenting paper sources (as in stating paper was forest certified (BIG thing in the paper industry) and claiming recycled content - when in reality the paper came directly from forest lands...a HUGE no no.
3) Claiming paper to be pt grades, when it was below grades.

The only reason it took so long for the U.S. Government to do anything about it was we owe China a gazillion $ and don't want to pee them off so we can keep borrowing from them.

Do you have any idea what the cost of putting all of these unemployed on welfare is?
We need to put Americans back to work. It should be illegal to buy goods produced in a Slave Labor system. Let's shut all of the Walmarts down.

I agree that we need to employ our citizens. Doing that though is a difficult project in a worldwide economy where labor costs in other countries outweigh the cost of transportion of finished products halfway around the world. Embargos, tariffs and other means of eliminating international competition defeat the very purpose of free trade and capitolism. Like I said previously, eventually we will come to some sort of free trade agreement with China.

Also the majority of American people care about what is in their wallets not about some worker on the other side of the planet. Why do you think they shop at Walmart. In this economy it is magnified. Credit card purchases are falling sharply because people are beginning to understand that that the saying "You can pay me now or you can pay me later!" means that later costs a lot more. So they are paying attention to what they are buying and it is cheaper products, made in China. Ask 100 people if they would pay 120 dollars for a TV made in the US or 100 dollars for a similar TV that was made in China. I would venture most would say they buy American but you take them to the store and they are faced with reality they will buy Chinese.

I wanted to double check some facts before posting:

Argentina is planting soybeans for export to China and the price that the farmers get make the production of domestic chicken or cattle feed counterproductive in fact the Argentine cattle herd and chicken flock is shrinking fast.

Brazil likewise is planting soybeans as cattle/chicken feed and to a lesser degree direct exports to the Far East.

In addition to the 10 to 1 increase in shipping costs in switching from packaged/processed meat to feed imports the alternative of buying chicken from Brazil could trigger ecological tariffs by the EU.

This is a truly stupid time to pull this stunt given the weather disasters in Pakistan and Russia because US farmers have plenty of places to export as charitable organizations buy up the food China doesn't.

So let's see urban food riots and strikes over food prices China, little damage to the US and the answer is pop some corn.

Well Willie I think the Chinese picked this moment for a reason. To preempt any action by Congress to impose sanctions on China by firing a shot over their bow.

So we will see if Congress and Obama have balls.

Personally I think sanctions are a horrible idea, I prefer to collaborate with the EU and Japan and multilaterally engage in wholesale currency debasement.

The other idea I had months back was for the US to begin immediately to break the dollars role as a world reserve currency and as a commodity exchange currency. If we did it the world would be awash in dollars and we alone would benefit from that one time debasement.

That would really pull the wool out from under China's reserves strategy.

But I am FOR economic war with China until they break the peg. Multilaterally as much as possible, using means other than tariffs. If they don't like us dumping chicken, fine, dump dollars.

Fuck China.

But I doubt Obama or congress have balls on the eve of the election....

Forum List

Back