get Ready to Be sued

It wouldn't make a difference- Nuclear waste has to be stored for thousands and thousands of years before it loses its toxicity. We don't have any way of doing this, feasibly

Probably because Yucca Mountain isn't up and running yet.

YM is a dead duck.

An aside -- note the bolded below. And everyone bitched about Joe Wilson. Puleeze.

Nothing makes the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, madder than folks pushing for the storage of nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain in Mr. Reid’s home state. When former President George W. Bush changed his position and voiced support for opening the storage repository, Mr. Reid called the president a liar – a remark he never apologized for even after he said sorry to Mr. Bush for also calling him “a loser.”

Yucca Mountain Plan for Nuclear Waste Dies - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

Nuclear energy is the cleanest, most cost efficient, and in the long run, safest form of energy out there.

Cleanest burning, perhaps- but not the cleanest form of energy by far- there is a lot of hazardous material that has to be buried underground for thousands of years before it will be okay to open the containers, and this is our newest long term solution using what is only meant to be short term disposal.. So not very clean, considering that concrete is not exactly a material that takes thousands of years to biodegrade...

Also, nuclear energy is FAR from safe. Thousands of pounds of the stuff is exploited from the power plants annually by shady workers, and sold to countries looking to build bombs with the stuff. And once used, the spent rods are the most radioactive of all nuclear wastes.

The Bane of Nuclear Energy: Nuclear Waste - Storage

Nuclear energy is causing us taxpayers to have to spend billions in additional dollars towards field intelligence operations, just to find the culprits..

Priced having solar panels installed lately? Middle class America can't afford it. That is why you don't see more wide spread use of solar energy. Wind farms? Great idea!!! BUT, for all the talk of it and all the proclaiming of how great it would be, entirely to many bleeding heart liberals fight against it every single time there is talk of installing a wind farm ANYWHERE that is weather condusive to them. We don't want to hurt anyone's view ya know. Barnwell, SC has been the home of one of this countries largest nuclear waste disposal sites for over 20 years. In all that time there have been NO accidents, people are not dying of cancer at 30 years old, there has been NO increase of birth defects, etc etc etc. There are nuclear power plants still in operation today. There has NOT been any major accidents at any of them for as far back as I can remember. Actually, the ONLY accident was at 3 Mile Island and there has been no discernable long term affects from that one.

That is because concrete does not biodegrade in a measly 20 year time span. Give it another 50 years. By then the government will forget where half of their disposal sites are, due to paper and computer records being deleted by fire or flooding.. As it is there are plenty of toxic waste disposal sites (toxic waste, again being stored in concrete containers) that "rear their ugly heads" even at sites like playgrounds and public parks.. The Earth eventually "spits them out" from the place they are buried. Luckily, these particular toxic waste disposal sites are generally considered safe, as long as no leakage has occurred. Of course, if there was leakage, do you really think that information would be leaked?

Furthermore, a person can make their own solar paneling for the heating of water, with as little as 50 dollars, and some common sense know-how. It is not all that difficult. All you really need is some wood, black paint, copper piping, a piece of plexiglass or regular glass, and PVC piping. (and nails, lol)

Solar heating is VERY easy to do for way cheaper than just using solar panels, also. For example, if a person lives in a very cold climate, then they can open the blinds up on their windows, to let in the sunlight.

In the summertime, when making tea, it is well known that you can simply place the tea outside for a day, and let it get hot and brew that way.

I personally have fried an egg on the sidewalk on more than one occassion, using tin foil, an egg, and just the sun on one VERY hot day, which tool all of about 10 minutes to cook- and on a cooler day, I used a magnifying glass to accelerate the heat.

Solar heating is affordable, and in the long run it saves people a great deal of money, even if they do opt to get the fancy high tech panels installed.

Until people are willing to really make the decision to be more "energy concious" in this country and not just give lip service to the thought we will stay in the situation we are in right now. Until people are willing to do MORE than just talk and complain about the Oil companies hold on America we will continue to be dependant on Oil. You can talk about it all day long but until YOU are willing to do more than just talk about the problem, the problem will NEVER go away. I would like to see everyone in this country go ONE week without using anything that is petroleum based in their daily lives and see just how many would be willing to go without completely to "fix" this dependancy on oil that this country suffers from. What entirely to many DO NOT understand is that everything you use to make your life more comfortable depends on the Oil companies staying in operation. Look around you. Unless you live in a cave and wear animal skins for clothing, eat only foods you get out of the woods, and sleep on the ground you are dependant on Oil to maintain your lifestyle. We definately need alternate energy sources. BUT it's got to be an across the board thing. We can't continually shoot down good ideas because of the "view". We can't continually shoot down good ideas due to misplaced fear of the unknown. We, as a whole, will have to all get on the same page. Until that happens, "Big Oil" will hold the monopoly and will continue to be the guiding force in our day to day lives.

Big Oil DOES hold the monopoly, man. We are currently spending in upwards of 400-500 dollars a month just in the wintertime, to heat our homes, and another 150-250 dollars to power our automobiles. Who has money to spend on windmills, considering the current costs of big oil? Also, these rises in the cost have not gone to fund alternative energy sources- they have really just gone to finding new oil sources. The oil companies contend that oil is a renewable resource, just because some drill sites that were empty decades ago, now have some new reserves.
In some respect, yes oil does renew itself- but not enough to full the supply versus demand needs of the world..

JD, it is the cleanest, the reality is that all forms produce a lot of "waste", but with nuclear the waste is less than others, just that others the waste is put back into the environment without anyone paying attention.

JD, it is the cleanest, the reality is that all forms produce a lot of "waste", but with nuclear the waste is less than others, just that others the waste is put back into the environment without anyone paying attention.

Solar paneling, and opening your windows to let in sunlight, using a windmill which can easily be recycled, etc.. do not contribute to environmental waste in nearly as much of a significant way as nuclear waste and oil burning does.

It is just not logical to compare the tons and tons of potentially fatal nuclear waste we are burying to materials that are recyclable or reusable. =)

And I was a (much older) kid growing up in Pennsylvania when Three Mile Island happened. My parents kept the car packed and sitting in the driveway ready to run at a moment's notice for a couple weeks, it was scary stuff. I know nuclear power is far more advanced than it was then, but humans aren't entirely rational creatures.

This is the sort of issue that requires hours upon hours of personal inquiry - a research of reliable sources - in order to reach a useful opinion. Not just an article or two from WSJ. I simply won't jump on any ideologue's bandwagon in regards to this issue.

you have years and years of data but you would rather ignore it because you are afraid because one accident with a poorly maintained, nearly obsolete at the time reactor in Russia melted down.

again I ask you how many accidents has any other country using nuclear power had in the past 2 decades?

I'm not advocating for either side ... you're barking at the wrong tree.

Class action suits should be outlawed...the only people who would make a profit on thise case would be the lawyers.

But if I was told that I had to pay something, I would gladly write a check and send it...after I wiped my ass with it.

Class action suits should be outlawed...the only people who would make a profit on thise case would be the lawyers.

But if I was told that I had to pay something, I would gladly write a check and send it...after I wiped my ass with it.

Well, considering that lawyers have to put in several years of hard, long hours into these cases, they definitely do require some compensation, and well deserved, too.

The point to class action lawsuits is to punish and teach a lesson to the wrongdoer, and to take care of the health and welfare of society, ensuring that future wrongful acts are not made.

Without the use of class action lawsuits, there would also be an overwhelming amount of extra cases having to be reviewed and tried in the courts- The class action is devised so that a group of people who all have similar injuries caused by a specific company or entity, can at the very least, see justice served on that entity. It is not necessary to have 15,000 clients going to 15,000 lawyers, to file 15,000 separate lawsuits, that will be heard by 15,000 judges, and may cause different opinions on each individual case- Better to have all 15,000 victims to be able to see a handful of attorneys, and be tried in one court, with one judge, and one jury. Much cheaper that way, also. =)

bar·ra·try (br-tr)
n. pl. bar·ra·tries
1. The offense of persistently instigating lawsuits, typically groundless ones.

Forum List

Back