Get Back In the Mines, You Damned Kids

Before you lefties start preaching morality....you must first separate yourselves from an ideology that was founded in and embraced eugenics. The ugly truth of left wing ideology...eugenics was....well, I'll let you do the research.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has “called for a return to a discredited theory of the Constitution that early twentieth century justices used to declare federal child labor laws unconstitutional” in three separate decisions. In January, Senator Mike Lee, R-Utah, said that children's employment was a states' rights issue, and their regulation by the federal government is unconstitutional. Milhiser noted that “many GOP elected officials have embraced rhetoric suggesting” that they agree, but have stopped short of coming out and saying as much.

We've got a couple of issues here.....

First off, YES child labor IS a State Level issue. It is NOT something that the Federal Government is granted power to regulate in the US Constitution, unless those kids are being shipped across state lines to work. Those who disagree with this stance, please show me a specific enumerated power in the US Constitution, granting the US Government the RIGHT to regulate child labor or removing that RIGHT from the States.

Additionally, while I'm not in favor of everything that is on that list of changes, I would be in favor of a good number of them. Especially in rural areas, farming communities, and areas where the current preference is for illegal immigrant workers. I'm also in favor of allowing Home Schooling families to modify their lesson plans and timing to allow kids to work during the regular business day, so long as their grades are kept up.

Nobody is going to be sending 8 year olds back into coal mines. So let's throw those stupid strawman arguements out the window right now. However, many families could use the extra income, it would help keep a lot of kids off the streets, make it easier for those who have dropped out of school to support themselves, and generally decrease the influence of the Federal Government in people's lives.... all things which I agree with whole-heartedly.

Okay, see what's ahppening here?

The so called good american patriots (read neo cons) would like to roll back labor laws to what we had (read: didn't have) in the 19th century.

I can't think of any reason we should not have revolution if these misanthropes get their way.

Seriously, the end game of Randianism leads to nothing but a class war that will NOT be fought in the halls of congress like we're doing right now, but rather in the streets of America.

Last edited:
I get so tired of people using the term "neo con" incorrectly.

What an ignoramus.

Okay, see what's ahppening here?

The so called good american patriotsd would like to roll back labor laws to what we had (read didn't have) in the 19th century.

The USA was a much better country back in the late 19th Century than it is today. Again, we're not talking about sending 8 year olds into coal mines. We're simply suggesting that maybe, just maybe, some of these families would be a bit better off if Johnny were allowed to make a few bucks picking Strawberries for the farmer at the end of the road on weekends and weekday afternoons than sitting in front of the XBox while listening to the (c)rap music on the radio and rolling a joint.

I can't think of any reason we should not have revolution if these misanthropes get their way.

Seriously, the end game of Randianism leads to nothing but a class war that will NOT be fought in the halls of congress but rather in the streets of America.

I can't think of any reason we shouldn't have a Revolution/Civil War RIGHT NOW. Let's see everyone put their lives on the line for what they truly believe in.... Winner Take All. I know which side I think will come out on top.

Can you tell me what it is about the proposed laws you take exception to?
Thousands losing their jobs to be replaces with people who can be paid less than minimum wage |: who'll be fired when they turn 20 or have been their 5 months and replaced with people who can be paid less than minimum wage. :|

First off, YES child labor IS a State Level issue. It is NOT something that the Federal Government is granted power to regulate in the US Constitution, unless those kids are being shipped across state lines to work. Those who disagree with this stance, please show me a specific enumerated power in the US Constitution, granting the US Government the RIGHT to regulate child labor or removing that RIGHT from the States.

Additionally, while I'm not in favor of everything that is on that list of changes, I would be in favor of a good number of them. Especially in rural areas, farming communities, and areas where the current preference is for illegal immigrant workers. I'm also in favor of allowing Home Schooling families to modify their lesson plans and timing to allow kids to work during the regular business day, so long as their grades are kept up.

Nobody is going to be sending 8 year olds back into coal mines. So let's throw those stupid strawman arguements out the window right now. However, many families could use the extra income, it would help keep a lot of kids off the streets, make it easier for those who have dropped out of school to support themselves, and generally decrease the influence of the Federal Government in people's lives.... all things which I agree with whole-heartedly.

Wow. Stupidity at its finest.

Thousands losing their jobs to be replaces with people who can be paid less than minimum wage |: who'll be fired when they turn 20 or have been their 5 months and replaced with people who can be paid less than minimum wage. :|

Ok. Let's look at that potential.... If these people already have minimum wage jobs that can be replaced by a 15 year old, I'd suggest that they probably aren't the sort of people I'm concerned about to begin with. It's very likely that they're the sort of people who deserve to be out of work because they're facing the consequences of their own poor life decisions. Either that or they're immigrants (legal or otherwise) who probably shouldn't have been allowed into the country to begin with.

Before you lefties start preaching morality....you must first separate yourselves from an ideology that was founded in and embraced eugenics. The ugly truth of left wing ideology...eugenics was....well, I'll let you do the research.

And exactly what does that have to do with child labor laws. Rightwing politicians and their supporters have mastered the art of responding to an issue by responding to a different issue.

I see you don't understand the interstate commerce clause of the constitution. Labor, all labor, is a federal issue.

I see you don't understand the interstate commerce clause of the constitution. Labor, all labor, is a federal issue.

No, no it's not.

Then you should have NO PROBLEM citing the EXACT WORDING of the US Constitution (not some legal decision afterwards) showing that, correct?

About 90% of what the US Government is involved in today; legislatively and spending-wise; has ZERO Constitutional mandate and should be removed from their hands ASAP in order to return it to the States and the People, where it belongs.

Forum List

Back