Germany must pay Poland up to $1 trillion in World War II reparations, minister says

SobieskiSavedEurope

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2017
Putnam Lake, NY raised, Pawling, NY resident.
Germany must pay Poland up to $1 trillion in World War II reparations, minister says
Polish%20Foreign%20Minister.jpg
Witold Waszczykowski has accused Germany of 'shirking' their responsibilities
Rachael Revesz

September 5 2017 1:53 PM

Germany should consider paying Poland as much as $1 trillion (€840bn) in World War II reparations, according to the Polish foreign minister.

Poland’s foreign minister Witold Waszczykowski told local radio station RMF that “serious talks” were needed with Germany to "find a way to deal with the fact that German-Polish relations are overshadowed by the German aggression of 1939 and unresolved post-war issues."

He said Poland’s material losses were about $1 trillion (€840bn), or higher.

Polish defense minister Antoni Macierewicz also accused European critics of trying to “erase” the fate of the Poles at German hands during the war “from the historical memory of Europe”.

The country’s right-wing government has dismissed a 1953 resolution by Poland’s former communist government which dropped any claim to reparations from Germany, and are instead claiming that Germany is “shirking” its moral responsibility.

Critics of the government say they are talking about reparations to divert attention from their nationalistic agenda.

Around six million Polish citizens, including about three million Jews, were killed during the war and much of Warsaw was destroyed.

Mr Waszczykowski did not say when Poland would make public its formal position on repatriations.

An independent Ibris poll found that 51 per cent of Polish people objected to repatriation claims against Germany, while 24 per cent were in favour.

The current conservative Law and Justice party has faced criticism for introducing reforms that have been accused of eroding democracy in Poland, and the European Union launched legal action in July due to fears the reforms could restrict judicial independence.

Germany must pay Poland up to $1 trillion in World War II reparations, minister says - Independent.ie

Does this dude want to go after Russia too? Wasn't the whole Polish invasion thing a conspiracy between Germany and Russia?

Does this dude want to go after Russia too? Wasn't the whole Polish invasion thing a conspiracy between Germany and Russia?

Stalin and Hitler decided to divide Poland in half. The dirty Ruskies have their fingers in it also.

Stalin and Hitler decided to divide Poland in half. The dirty Ruskies have their fingers in it also.

Having a hard time believing ANYONE would fight a war over Poland.

I am not too sure Poland was so innocent. They had a trade war going with Germany.

Soil.

It's tongue-in-cheek ... most people know that the invasion of Poland was the official start of World War II.

Forcing Germany to pay reparations I don't think is a good idea. If they volunteer something then good. WW2 came about because the allies punished Germany so mercilessly for WW1. Do they owe some reparations? Yes to the entire world, more money than exists on Earth. But at some point you have to say ok let's let this rabid ghost lie. You do not want to foster any kind of resurrection of militant nationalism in Germany. It's bad enough seeing it in the US right now with drumpf.

Soil.

It's tongue-in-cheek ... most people know that the invasion of Poland was the official start of World War II.
http://www.yadvashem.org/odot_pdf/Microsoft Word - 3231.pdf

The official start yes, but lets face it Poland was between 2 countries who wanted expansion, but many things brought on WWII besides soil.

I am not too sure Poland was so innocent. They had a trade war going with Germany.

You mean the trade war Germany started against Poland, and which ended in 1933 with the German - Polish Non-Aggression Pact?

Last edited:

The thing is Nazis did much more damage to Poland, whole cities destroyed, and millions of Polish Catholics killed.

Forcing Germany to pay reparations I don't think is a good idea. If they volunteer something then good. WW2 came about because the allies punished Germany so mercilessly for WW1. Do they owe some reparations? Yes to the entire world, more money than exists on Earth. But at some point you have to say ok let's let this rabid ghost lie. You do not want to foster any kind of resurrection of militant nationalism in Germany. It's bad enough seeing it in the US right now with drumpf.

I'm quite certain the savage inhumane nature of Germans bought on WW2.

If we had completely destroyed Germany following WW1, they would not have been capable of what they did.

If we had completely destroyed Germany following WW1, they would not have been capable of what they did.

The actual history of what led to the rise of the Nazis and Hitler, and WW2, is much more complicated than 'Germans are just bad people'.

The actual history of what led to the rise of the Nazis and Hitler, and WW2, is much more complicated than 'Germans are just bad people'.

the Poles are feuding with the Germans and French over their EU membership. the poles are feuding with the Russians too. the Poles are very grumpy these days. Maybe if the Poles had mentioned WW2 restitution before joining the German dominated EU then i'd take their claims seriously. as it is it seems like they're just venting.

This is not about the destruction caused by the war, this is the Poles getting back at the Germans for trying to use the EU to force mass immigration of muslims on eastern Europe, something the Visegrad four (Poland, Hungary, Czechia and Slovakia) are fiercely opposing.

The EU ruled against the V4 countries in the matter which responded that they don't care what the EU says and when the EU threatened them with fines they responded with demanding war reparations from Germany, which in this case is more or less the same as the EU.

In any other case I would say that the Poles has no claim to any money from Germany nowadays, they didn't get any help from the U.S thanks to being under the Soviet boot, but so was eastern Germany and the DDR was severly punished economically by the Soviets. I would also say that the Poles got enough reparation in their annexation of the entire german east and the following ethnic cleansing of the native 10 million Germans lthat lived there.

Although I certainly hope they get their will through here, Merkel and the EU needs a good booting up the ass.

Forum List

Back