Germans go on offensive to retain U.S. military bases

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Melissa Eddy, Associated Press

March 28, 2004 EUROBASES0328

WUERZBURG, GERMANY -- As host to 170,000 American soldiers and dependents, Germany has a lot to lose under Pentagon plans to shift forces out of western Europe, and officials in areas facing a pinch are lobbying heavily for them to stay.

Economic survival for their communities, more than security, is the concern for these supporters of a continued U.S. presence in their regions, where ties are deeply rooted despite Germans' current criticism of U.S. policy in Iraq.

Many of the communities depend on business and jobs generated by the bases, located mainly in economically weak regions of southern and western Germany.

"We realized that our installations are in grave danger," said Karl Peter Bruch, a state official in Rhineland-Palatinate who heads an effort to lobby U.S. officials. "And then came the question, what can we do to make us more attractive?"

The tactic has drawn mixed reviews from the Americans, who have 80,000 military personnel with 94,000 family members stationed in Germany.

The issue has nothing to do with Germany being unattractive, U.S. officials say. It's part of a global realignment to meet changing threats centered in Central Asia and the Middle East.

Full Story

A supposed ally that has been pushed away, but is fighting to keep our bases there, hmmmm.

On the subject of allies, Kerry mentions quite often that Bush and his foreign policy has pushed away many allies. I would like Kerry to name some allies that have been pushed away. It is real easy for him to make such a claim, but he will never name a country.

maybe we should talk about taking our troops out of Germany before we worry about taking them out of Iraq.

This is all part of BRAC - Base Realignment And Closure. Rumsfield wants to get rid of our huge footprint in Germany and bring those troops back to CONUS (CONtinetal US). He also wants to pull about 10,000 out of Korea, if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
This is all part of BRAC - Base Realignment And Closure. Rumsfield wants to get rid of our huge footprint in Germany and bring those troops back to CONUS (CONtinetal US). He also wants to pull about 10,000 out of Korea, if I remember correctly.

w0rd...With our other bases world-wide, and the mobility of today and tomorrow's Army, I think we'd save millions or billions annually by bringing some of these guys home.

Forum List

Back