German troops in Afghanistan call on Angela Merkel to explain why they're at war

Unable to engage the Taliban directly on the ground, frustrated by their government’s inability to acknowledge they are even engaged in a war and angered by the lack of popular support for their mission, the badges are a low-key mutiny that has sent shock waves through the top brass of the Bundeswehr.
Soldiers were warned this week that it is illegal to sew the cloth patches on to their uniforms.
German troops in Afghanistan call on Angela Merkel to explain why they're at war | Mail Online

They just don't make Germans like they used too.

End this stupid war now.
Good for them.

I wonder if the rightwing Germans will accuse the troops of hating the troops? :eusa_eh:

Unable to engage the Taliban directly on the ground, frustrated by their government’s inability to acknowledge they are even engaged in a war and angered by the lack of popular support for their mission, the badges are a low-key mutiny that has sent shock waves through the top brass of the Bundeswehr.
Soldiers were warned this week that it is illegal to sew the cloth patches on to their uniforms.

German troops in Afghanistan call on Angela Merkel to explain why they're at war | Mail Online

They just don't make Germans like they used too.

End this stupid war now.

See what happens when they keep Prussians out Xen? :lol:

this is awesome. the real revolution will happen when the military puts down their guns and walk away. hopefully these soliders actions become contagious

I think you misunderstand why they are protesting. It's not against the war, but against Government action to apply the German constitution to the letter. This prevents German troops from acting as an efficient fighting force since their combat role is severely restricted by Government imposed limits. You don't send quality troops to a war zone and deploy them as REMFs.

I'm shocked that we let the Germans have guns. Look what happened last time! :lol:

Joking aside, my understanding is that they are protesting the attitude of their government, not the war. They are offended that their role in theater is not recognized and supported by their government. I am sure that if the German people were aware of how well their guys are doing there, they would be proud of them.

I think it's kind of sad that people want to withdraw before the job is done. We did that in Iraq first time around and look how that turned out. Had we finished it properly in '91, we wouldn't be back there now and Iraq wouldn't be a mess still.

We need to learn the lesson and finish Afghanistan right. Not pull out because we don't like the reasons behind it. The reasons are immaterial now, we're there. Finish it - preferably quickly and bring them all home ASAP.

The first Bush wisely didn't push on into Iraq, the job was finished when the Iraqis got out of Kuwait. The sad part was that some Iraqis thought that were going to be supported if they rose against Saddam. Iraq is a mess still because it was invaded and occupied.

And how can Afghanistan be "finished" right if we don't know what the hell is supposed to be achieved there? I suspect the objective is to have a western-connected government, democratically elected or not it doesn't matter, to ensure energy interests are protected. That and to keep the Russians out, which has been an historical reason for interference in Afghanistan for a few hundred years.

I'm shocked that we let the Germans have guns. Look what happened last time! :lol:

Joking aside, my understanding is that they are protesting the attitude of their government, not the war. They are offended that their role in theater is not recognized and supported by their government. I am sure that if the German people were aware of how well their guys are doing there, they would be proud of them.

I think it's kind of sad that people want to withdraw before the job is done. We did that in Iraq first time around and look how that turned out. Had we finished it properly in '91, we wouldn't be back there now and Iraq wouldn't be a mess still.

We need to learn the lesson and finish Afghanistan right. Not pull out because we don't like the reasons behind it. The reasons are immaterial now, we're there. Finish it - preferably quickly and bring them all home ASAP.

The same result would have occurred in Iraq no matter what.

I am surprised that you think Afghanistan could be finished right. That will never happen. The best you can hope to achieve is have relative normal civilisation in the main cities. The rest of the country is in the hands of the various tribes and always will be...

Last edited:
this is awesome. the real revolution will happen when the military puts down their guns and walk away. hopefully these soliders actions become contagious

Yep, and maybe bullets will turn into sunshine and bombs will turn into daisies and everyone will get along nobody will want to kill us just for existing. :cool:

no groups of people want to kill us just for existing, if troops in the past refused to serve orders that were unjustifiable tehn we wouldn't be in the position we are.

Yep, and maybe bullets will turn into sunshine and bombs will turn into daisies and everyone will get along nobody will want to kill us just for existing. :cool:

no groups of people want to kill us just for existing, if troops in the past refused to serve orders that were unjustifiable tehn we wouldn't be in the position we are.

Bingo...

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Forum List

Back