German state plans headscarf ban

Nov 11, 2003
A German state has begun moves to ban Muslims from wearing headscarves in schools.
The bill was proposed by the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg following a supreme court ruling in September that allowed a Muslim teacher to wear a headscarf.

The legislation is expected to gain approval from the state parliament early next year.

Civil rights groups say a ban would hamper religious freedom but six other states are planning similar laws.

"The aim of the law is to forbid state teachers from wearing symbols which could be regarded as political," said Erwin Teufel, state premier of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

The region's Education Minister Annette Schavan said the headscarf was "seen as a symbol of cultural division and part of a history of repression of women".

In September's ruling, the federal constitutional court ruled the state could not ban a female Muslim teacher from wearing a headscarf because there was no law against it.

But the court also said German states could ban headscarves in schools if they passed new laws.

The ban will not apply in religious education classes, and Christian and Jewish symbols will not be banned.

Three states - Berlin, Hesse and Saarland - want headscarves banned in all public services.

That's not cool. In France, girls are having to wear headscarfs to prevent themselves from being raped. I sure hope Germany
doesn't have that problem too.

Yeah I am not well versed in German constitutional law but this really seems like a violation of the principle of freedom of religion. Parents generally have say over what their children wear to school, and this ban would prevent girls from wearing the scarves even if they wanted to!

btw, where did you hear that muslim girls wear scarves in France as a safeguard against rape?

Yeah, I agree. It's one of those stories best skimmed.

Forum List

Back