German intelligence cracks terror group's codes

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
German intelligence cracks terror group's codes

20 December 2004

HAMBURG - German intelligence services have deciphered secret codes used by the Ansar al-Islam organization which is suspected of being behind many of the kidnappings and terror attacks in Iraq, according to German news magazine Focus.

In a report, Focus quotes police and intelligence authorities as saying the arrest of a man believed to have been planning an attack on Iraq's interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi in Berlin earlier this month has led to the codes being deciphered.

Franz-Hellmutt Schuerholz, president of Baden-Wuertemberg state police department, is quoted as saying: "We have managed to break the structures
of the terrorist organization from the outside."

The report said that with the help of the arrested suspect authorities deciphered coded email and mobile telephone messages going right to the top of the organization.

Three men are detained in Germany on grounds of belonging to a terrorist organization following their arrests shortly before Allawi's visit to Germany on December 3.

They are believed to be members of the banned northern Iraqi Kurdish group Ansar al-Islam.

Link

Good for the Germans. Except, the Germans openly announced the fact they cracked the code.

Now the Ansar al-Islam organization will just switch to a different form of encrypted communication and we'll be unapprised of their activities yet again. Apparently Mr. Franz-Hellmutt Schuerholz and the German intelligence services aren't too bright, or they would have kept their new knowledge undisclosed and remained one step ahead of the Ansar al-Islam organization.

drowe said:
Good for the Germans. Except, the Germans openly announced the fact they cracked the code.

Now the Ansar al-Islam organization will just switch to a different form of encrypted communication and we'll be unapprised of their activities yet again. Apparently Mr. Franz-Hellmutt Schuerholz and the German intelligence services aren't too bright, or they would have kept their new knowledge undisclosed and remained one step ahead of the Ansar al-Islam organization.

Exactly what i was thinking. I guess the Germans just need anything they can get to pat themselves ont he back and go out for a drink. (Just FYI im an equal opportunity mocker. Ill mock any nation that does something stupid)

Exactly what i was thinking. I guess the Germans just need anything they can get to pat themselves ont he back and go out for a drink. (Just FYI im an equal opportunity mocker. Ill mock any nation that does something stupid)

This story sounds really familiar for some reason. I was hoping someone might have seen it, or something like it before.

drowe said:

well they did lose two world wars .... I think your expectations are too high

dilloduck said:
and if the announcement was a bluff ??? now do they go to all that trouble switching codes or not?

Ahhh, now that sounds like a proper conspiracy, telling them we know their codes to confuse and disrupt their communications! :splat:

Comrade said:
Ahhh, now that sounds like a proper conspiracy, telling them we know their codes to confuse and disrupt their communications! :splat:

we are talking about the germans right?

Forum List

Back