German Healthcare Insurance System - Good/bad

why are we looking to Germany now

obamacares was the fix all

promised -better care - coverage for all- cheaper premiums

Actually, Obamacare imitates a lot of what is in the German Health Care system.

Funded by the government?

No, a mixture of private and public.

Haven't you heard of Medicare?
Of course. Your point?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

why are we looking to Germany now

obamacares was the fix all

promised -better care - coverage for all- cheaper premiums

Actually, Obamacare imitates a lot of what is in the German Health Care system.

Funded by the government?

No, a mixture of private and public.

Haven't you heard of Medicare?
Of course. Your point?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

That there's a mixture of private and government already.

So, in typical RWNJ fashion, we have gone, on this thread, from the basic facts about the very robust and healthy TGerman health care system to one pamphlet out of thousands and thousands that made some fundie mad.

Poor Righties, they cannot really concentrate on anything for very long, now can they...

Are you kidding? Delta is as liberal as they come. Methink he doesn't like the German system because it is not a crate to the grave government run system.

How To Germany - Health Insurance Options in Germany
approximately 130 Krankenkassen and they must all charge the same basic rate of 15.5 % of your eligible gross salary to a maximum monthly income of 4,050 Euros (2014 figures). If you earn more than this, you do not pay a higher insurance premium. Assuming a maximum monthly premium of 710 Euros as an employee earning at or above the threshold and are therefore as a voluntary member, your contribution is approximately 373 Euros and your employer will pay approximately 338 Euros.

The max amount the insurance companies may charge a family is 710 Euro (or $910) a month. To hit that max it's roughly $78K a year.

However, your employer picks up half the cost. So the out of pocket cost is roughly $455.

The employer contribution is what will kill this. Look at the screams for humanity now with the businesses that are 50+ having to provide insurance.

What's not to like?

No profit? I don't want to be cared for in a system where people are not trying to find ways of doing things better, faster, healthier, etc. Look around your world, how many products or services do you use in your life which were developed by non-profit motivated people? I can't think of any in my life. Even the internet which began at CERN has been vastly improved by profit motive.

A complete decoupling between costs and premiums. Premiums are set at a percent of your income. Does auto insurance work that way? Does home insurance work that way? This completely guts price signaling and lowers efficiency in the system. I want to be charged at a rate that reflects my actuarial risk and then be pooled into a group of similar people. I want to be rewarded for living a healthy life. I want to be rewarded because my parents choose well when they married. I don't want to be penalized for someone else choosing to live an unhealthy life or making poor mating choices.

The better solution is to do away with comprehensive plans and go to health accounts, with mandatory contributions, coupled with catastrophic coverage for the big ticket items.

The problem is, health care is a credence good, which means we don't know when we'll need to utilize it or if it even provides value. From an economic standpoint, health care, as a good, consists of information failures, especially in terms of the seller and consumer.

Once policy makers in the US realize that health and medical services don't fall into cute economic categories, we'll find a better way to deliver equal access and efficiency in the US of A.

How To Germany - Health Insurance Options in Germany
approximately 130 Krankenkassen and they must all charge the same basic rate of 15.5 % of your eligible gross salary to a maximum monthly income of 4,050 Euros (2014 figures). If you earn more than this, you do not pay a higher insurance premium. Assuming a maximum monthly premium of 710 Euros as an employee earning at or above the threshold and are therefore as a voluntary member, your contribution is approximately 373 Euros and your employer will pay approximately 338 Euros.

The max amount the insurance companies may charge a family is 710 Euro (or $910) a month. To hit that max it's roughly $78K a year.

However, your employer picks up half the cost. So the out of pocket cost is roughly $455.

The employer contribution is what will kill this. Look at the screams for humanity now with the businesses that are 50+ having to provide insurance.

Valid points.

Health care costs are a marginal cost of production in the US which makes firms less competitive.

Forum List

Back