German girl needs your help :)

Hey everyone my name is Jana, I'm 17 years old and I'm from Germany.
For my research paper I need you help. The topic of my work has something to do with prjedudices between Germans and Americans.
Therefor I prepared a questionnaire and you would do me a great favor if you could answer it :)

1. What do you think about Germany and the people there in general?
2. Do you know any German celebrities?
3. Do you learn something about German History at School or when you go to College?
4. Are there German traditions in America?
5. Do you know what happened on November 9th 1989?
6. What happened on January 30th 1933?
7. Who is Angela Merkel?
8. What do you really know about my country?

Please be honest ;)

No cheating, here goes.
1. I am 1/4 german. I think German people are like people everywhere else. Intelligence is randomly distributed, there are some very smart people there, and some not so smart folks there. When I think of national characteristics, and I have met German employees of my US based company, I think of industrious, high energy, smart people. I can also think of arrogant people and people whose business ethics is poor.
2. Let's see, German celebrities, mostly politicians and sports stars (tennis, skating).
3. Learn German history, hmmm, mostly from WW I and WW II.
4. German traditions in America? Not too many. My daughter married into a family of German ancestry here in Texas, and at the wedding reception we did a dance called "The Grand March", where all the men formed a single line on one side of the room, and the ladies on the other side. The two lines met in the middle and milled around becoming 2 abreast, then 4 abreast, then 8 abreast, and some other formations. It ended with the married couple dancing in the middle of about 4 concentric circles. I had never seen it but was told it is always done in that area of German ancestry.
5. No.
6. I don't know the date, but by the year, I would guess its when Hitler became Chancellor of Germany.
7. Merkel is the current conservative Chancellor of Germany.
8. What do I really know about Germany? Closest I have gotten is Switzerland. I like the German people I have met. They seem to have the same concerns I have about life, family, their job, functioning of their govt. I think they have the biggest economy in Europe, so that makes them important regionally and internationally.

Hey everyone my name is Jana, I'm 17 years old and I'm from Germany.
For my research paper I need you help. The topic of my work has something to do with prjedudices between Germans and Americans.
Therefor I prepared a questionnaire and you would do me a great favor if you could answer it :)

The same as I think of people from other parts of the world, some are good, some are bad, people are people

The Scorpions

3. Do you learn something about German History at School or when you go to College?

World Wars 1 and 2

NYC has a Steuben day parade, some plces celebrate Octoberfest

The wall came down

Hitler became chancellor

7. Who is Angela Merkel?
Chancellor of Germany

Good beer and food, I have German ancestry, my ancestors came to the U.S. ABOUT 100-120 YEARS AGO.

They are the wurst.

Count von Zeppelin

Yes.

Yes.

Berlin wall fell.

A shickelgruber became the big cheese.

7. Who is Angela Merkel?
Kraut PM.

They are the bad guys in 'Band of Brothers.'

Germans are probably the most friendly people in Europe (Not counting my ex wife)

I don't believe so.

A little

We have some German Traditions in our house because we spent so many years living there. Also the ex being German and the eldest son lives with me.

The opening of the wall or the fall of the wall I was on a training exercise near Munchen when that happened. No one expected it.

Was that when Hitler gained the chancellery?

7. Who is Angela Merkel?

Prime minister

I lived in Germany for about 14 years all together. A small place called Dichtelback,
Worms, Ludwigsburg, and Darmstadt. My youngest son was born in Weisbaden and He lives there along with my Grandson. I know enough to enjoy Eichbaum Bier and Bacharach Wine.

Forum List

Back