German Charged for Koran–Toilet Paper Effort

nosarcasm

Jul 15, 2004
Idaho
German Charged for Koran–Toilet Paper Effort
AP

BERLIN (AP) - Feb. 10, 2006 - A German businessman who printed the name of the Quran on toilet paper and offered the rolls for sale to mosques and media will face trial for disturbing the peace.
Bizarre Bazaar

It's News that Dares to be News! Click here for more Bizarre Bazaar.
The man, identified only as Manfred van H., is scheduled to go on trial Feb. 23 at a court in Luedinghausen in western Germany, Jochen Dyhr, a spokesman for judicial authorities in nearby Muenster, said Thursday.

The businessman last summer printed sheets of toilet paper with the sentence "Koran, the Holy Qur'aen" and sent them to about 15 mosques, television stations and magazines.

In an accompanying letter, authorities say, he asserted that Islam's holy book is a "cookbook for terrorists" that calls for acts of violence.

He proposed that a "memorial to all victims of Islamic terror" be set up, financed by sales of the toilet paper - an offer that prosecutors say he also posted on the Internet.

The businessman's offer led to criminal complaints and telephone death threats against him.

Prosecutors argue that the man's actions overstepped the legally guaranteed freedom to criticize other religions. They say he has cited his right to freedom of opinion and artistic expression, and said his aim was to provoke rather than actually sell the toilet paper.

Copyright Associated Press, 2006. All Rights

He got 6 month on probation. There is a law in Germany (that I never heard of before) that forbids the desecration of holy books (aka the Bible protection).

To pacify the Muslims I guess this guy was prosecuted.

What's the difference between flag burning and burning somebody's holy book? If we are against flag burning we should also be against burning the Bible or the Koran. Or using the flag or the Koran as toilet paper.

Nuc said:
What's the difference between flag burning and burning somebody's holy book? If we are against flag burning we should also be against burning the Bible or the Koran. Or using the flag or the Koran as toilet paper.
And if we find flag burning constitutional, even if offensive? Then burning Koran, publishing cartoons, etc., are too.

Nuc said:
Or washing one's ass with Pope soap???

Kathianne said:
And if we find flag burning constitutional, even if offensive? Then burning Koran, publishing cartoons, etc., are too.

That was my point. We should tolerate flag burning, so that people can turn around and use the Koran as toilet paper with impunity!

Not me though!

Nuc said:
That was my point. We should tolerate flag burning, so that people can turn around and use the Koran as toilet paper with impunity!

Not me though!
Mine too. Now how many have died because of US flag burnings?

Forum List

Back