Georgia To Execute An Innocent Man?

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/opinion/20herbert.html?hp

So we have here a mess that is difficult, perhaps impossible, to sort through in a way that will yield reliable answers. (The jury also convicted Mr. Davis of a nonfatal shooting earlier that same evening on testimony that was even more dubious.)

There was no physical evidence against Mr. Davis, and the murder weapon was never found. As for the witnesses, their testimony was obviously shaky in the extreme — not the sort of evidence you want to rely upon when putting someone to death.

In March, the State Supreme Court in Georgia, in a 4-to-3 decision, denied Mr. Davis’s request for a new trial. The chief justice, Leah Ward Sears, writing for the minority, said: “In this case, nearly every witness who identified Davis as the shooter at trial has now disclaimed his or her ability to do so reliably.”

Amnesty International conducted an extensive examination of the case, documenting the many recantations, inconsistencies, contradictions and unanswered questions. Its report on the case drew widespread attention, both in the U.S. and overseas.

William Sessions, a former director of the F.B.I., has said that a closer look at the case is warranted. And Pope Benedict XVI has urged authorities in Georgia to re-sentence Mr. Davis to life in prison.

Rushing to execute Mr. Davis on Tuesday makes no sense at all.

Rushing to execute Mr. Davis on Tuesday makes no sense at all.

Due process. He had his day in court along with all the appeals.

This piece of shit killed a cop. Time to pay the piper.

Last edited:
Due process. He had his day in court along with all the appeals.

This piece of shit killed a cop. Time to pay the piper.

Some cops deserve to be removed from the planet. Remember the cop that went into a bar and beat up a woman? How about the dude in New Orleans that was beaten by 6 cops with nightsticks? How about the taser incidents (one in FL resulted in the death of the perp, he was tasered 9 times with HANDCUFFS ON)! And that's without me looking on Google to find more.

Nope......gotta do better than that.

Not according to the evidence

A jury apparently disagrees with you. He's guilty and will pay for it Tuesday. Good riddance.

Here's the scumbag in question.

300_115889.jpg

Nine witnesses testified against Mr. Davis at his trial in 1991, but seven of the nine have since changed their stories. One of the recanting witnesses, Dorothy Ferrell, said she was on parole when she testified and was afraid that she’d be sent back to prison if she didn’t agree to finger Mr. Davis.

She said in an affidavit: “I told the detective that Troy Davis was the shooter, even though the truth was that I didn’t know who shot the officer.”

Another witness, Darrell Collins, a teenager at the time of the murder, said the police had “scared” him into falsely testifying by threatening to charge him as an accessory to the crime. He said they told him that he might never get out of prison.

“I didn’t want to go to jail because I didn’t do nothing wrong,” he said.

At least three witnesses who testified against Mr. Davis (and a number of others who were not part of the trial) have since said that a man named Sylvester “Redd” Coles admitted that he was the one who had killed the officer.

Mr. Coles, who was at the scene, and who, according to authorities, later ditched a gun of the same caliber as the murder weapon, is one of the two witnesses who have not recanted.

The other is a man who initially told investigators that he could not identify the killer. Nearly two years later, at the trial, he testified that the killer was Mr. Davis.

Shit man, sucks for him. He's gonna get killed by the state.

Last edited:
It always amuses me when libs get all worked up over criminals (or even alleged criminals)facing the death penalty, and their battle cry..."One innocent killed by the death penalty is unacceptable!"

But the same assholes will fight tooth and nail to maintain a woman's right to kill the baby growing inside of her, based upon nothing but the vague understanding that either the baby will be a criminal, is a product of rape or incest, or will have a very unhappy life...besides making the mother's life relaly uncomfortable.

They view the lives of violent criminals worthy of protection...but children as nuisances and deserving of death.

It always amuses me when libs get all worked up over criminals (or even alleged criminals)facing the death penalty, and their battle cry..."One innocent killed by the death penalty is unacceptable!"

But the same assholes will fight tooth and nail to maintain a woman's right to kill the baby growing inside of her, based upon nothing but the vague understanding that either the baby will be a criminal, is a product of rape or incest, or will have a very unhappy life...besides making the mother's life relaly uncomfortable.

They view the lives of violent criminals worthy of protection...but children as nuisances and deserving of death.

This is one reason I can never support a libbie candidate. Kill a baby but save a cop killer.

Doesn't make sense to me.

No extremist is good, especially the fundies who support teaching religious myth as science or tell someone what they can and can't do with their bodies. According to science, only about 10% of all fertalized eggs actually succeed in taking root, by your thinking all women are mass murderers already.

That aside, the jury did convict him, though I don't think the death penalty is a viable solution after the number of innocent people who were put to death in Texas and other states, if guilty he deserves the appropriate punishment, no argument.

What fundies would that be, exactly? Where and what do they teach, and whom are they telling what to do? Vague bigoted blanket statements don't wash here, and if you have a complaint, you need to be a little more specific, if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise the assumption will be that you're just another brainwashed, feeble-minded sheep who believes any propoganda shoved down her throat.

A woman can do anything she likes with her own body. She can screw every male from here to Timbuktu and you won't find any fundies picketing her yard.

But the baby she carries is not "her body". It's a separate entity, and deserving of protection and life. And spontaneous abortion is NOT the same as deliberately destroying a living child, so no, women who have miscarriages are not guilty of murder. Women who seek and obtain abortion are guilty of murder, however, as are the people who help them to obtain them.

You think the babies killed by abortion aren't innocent? Or do they deserve to die because they get in the way of their moms?

No extremist is good, especially the fundies who support teaching religious myth as science or tell someone what they can and can't do with their bodies. According to science, only about 10% of all fertalized eggs actually succeed in taking root, by your thinking all women are mass murderers already.

That aside, the jury did convict him, though I don't think the death penalty is a viable solution after the number of innocent people who were put to death in Texas and other states, if guilty he deserves the appropriate punishment, no argument.

You can PROVE innocent people were put to death In Texas and other States?

DNA evidence has proved that almost 60% of all executions prior to DNA evidence were wrongly convicted (of those they still have the evidence for) totaling over 300. Can't remember the specifics country wide but Texas has the highest rate. Of course if you really cared you'd google it yourself instead of trying to trick someone else into it. However, since you do not care about facts you will attempt to make them look wrong because your mind is incapable of change. I am not against the death penalty, but taking innocent lives in the persuit of justice is no different than murder.

What fundies would that be, exactly? Where and what do they teach, and whom are they telling what to do? Vague bigoted blanket statements don't wash here, and if you have a complaint, you need to be a little more specific, if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise the assumption will be that you're just another brainwashed, feeble-minded sheep who believes any propoganda shoved down her throat.

A woman can do anything she likes with her own body. She can screw every male from here to Timbuktu and you won't find any fundies picketing her yard.

But the baby she carries is not "her body". It's a separate entity, and deserving of protection and life. And spontaneous abortion is NOT the same as deliberately destroying a living child, so no, women who have miscarriages are not guilty of murder. Women who seek and obtain abortion are guilty of murder, however, as are the people who help them to obtain them.

You think the babies killed by abortion aren't innocent? Or do they deserve to die because they get in the way of their moms?

And yet, science has determined that they are not living until they can sustain themselves. Only the fundies believe otherwise. So you still have not yet shown logic.

I am not your researcher, I do not have to cite things that I have learned of for a long time. It has been said in a large number of places. It's truth. I know it is, all lawmakers know it now to. They are the only ones who matter to the statistic. Why should I waste my time doing another homework? Why should I waste my time searching for links when I can instead waste it on more posts?

You know what is really a waste of your time?

Posting when you can't even back-up your own arguments and then whining when other people don't want to be YOUR researcher.

Now THAT is a waste of time.

BTW; vis-a-vis your sig - "ALL things"? I think you're taking that moderation thing too far.

And yet, science has determined that they are not living until they can sustain themselves. Only the fundies believe otherwise. So you still have not yet shown logic.

actually science has determined that life begins at conception.... but don't let the facts get in the way of convenience....

You know what is really a waste of your time?

Posting when you can't even back-up your own arguments and then whining when other people don't want to be YOUR researcher.

Now THAT is a waste of time.

BTW; vis-a-vis your sig - "ALL things"? I think you're taking that moderation thing too far.

There are already hundreds of current cases so you will have to wait then, until I can filter through them to find the stats from the past. Yes, hundreds of pending executions that are being re-evaluated in Texas and many are being released because the newly discovered (at least that's what the Texans call it) DNA evidence is proving them to have been falsely accused. Many have been put on death row AFTER DNA evidence was proven to be almost perfect.

Forum List

Back