Georgia Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

But Senior Citizens Inc. officials said Friday the meals they are contracted by the city to provide to Ed Young visitors are mostly covered with federal money, which ushers in the burden of separating church and state.

On Thursday, the usual open prayer before meals at the center was traded in for a moment of silence.

The dilemma is being hashed out by the Port Wentworth city attorney, said Mayor Glenn "Pig" Jones.

Tim Rutherford, Senior Citizens Inc. vice president, said some of his staff recently visited the center and noticed people praying shortly before lunch was served. Rutherford said his company provides meals like baked chicken, steak tips and rice and salads at a cost of about $6 a plate. Seniors taking the meals pay 55 cents and federal money foots the rest of the bill, Rutherford said.

"We can't scoff at their rules," he said of federal authorities. "It's a part of the operational guidelines."

Rutherford said the moment of silence was introduced to protect that funding. He said although the change may have been misinterpreted, perhaps his company could have done a better job selling it.

"It's interpreted that we're telling people that they can't pray, but we aren't saying that," he said. "We're asking them to pray to themselves. Have that moment of silence."

Mayor Jones said he was outraged by the change and has promised to find a solution.

Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

What a sad state of affairs our country is in.

What do y'all think? Should anyone who receives meals funded by the government, have their right to pray before the meal stripped from them?

So do we now have to do background checks on anyone who receives gov. assitance of any form to make sure they have not made a religious comment within x-number of seconds before receiving the aid?

What shall x be? and who determines it? and why?

They can pray. It's just not an organized prayer.

Or they could always refuse funding.

unfortunately the more zealot conservatives believe that if they are not allowed to FORCE THEIR PRAYERS on everyone in the room then THEY are being persecuted and their rights are being denied.

and I'd like to know why personally responsible conservative christians are taking MY TAX DOLLARS to stuff their faces....

shouldn't they just be asking jesus for more bread and wine?

but no uproar when it comes to forcing Christians to pay for abortions. Hmmmmm.... me thinks me smell a double standard...IF you could even call it that.

Tim Rutherford, Senior Citizens Inc. vice president, said some of his staff recently visited the center and noticed people praying shortly before lunch was served. Rutherford said his company provides meals like baked chicken, steak tips and rice and salads at a cost of about $6 a plate. Seniors taking the meals pay 55 cents and federal money foots the rest of the bill, Rutherford said.

I'd just tell them that I am praying over the 55 cent portion.

Forum List

Back