Georgia Senate Decides Not To Honor Jane Fonda - Another State Gets It Right !

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
The Georgia State Senate voted down a resolution that would honor actress Jane Fonda for her charitable and public service works Thursday.

State Sen. Steen Miles (D-Decatur) created a stir when she introduced a resolution to honor Fonda on Wednesday. The measure passed -- but then the Senate decided to rethink its actions after one lawmaker voiced his strong objection.

Miles tried to dial down the controversy Thursday by abandoning her effort, but the Senate Republican majority forced a last-minute vote on the measure.

"I am deeply sorry that a simple, routine resolution honoring the tireless efforts of Ms. Jane Fonda to prevent teen pregnancies in our state would cause such a firestorm," Miles said.

A sometimes emotional Miles explained that Jane Fonda did not ask for the honorary resolution, which applauded Fonda for her work with women and girls, particularly her role as founder and chairwoman of the Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention.

"I offered it freely and I stand by it without equivocation," Miles said. "Having received however, a call from her office -- she is out of the country -- for the sake of unity for the country that she loves, she has respectfully asked that I withdraw this resolution."

Senate Resolution 1189 failed 38 to 1. Sen. Emanuel Jones (D-Ellenwood) cast the only "yes" vote.

The resolution is one of hundreds usually approved each year by the General Assembly. Such commemorative and honorary measures typically are non-controversial and are not approved by a vote. Instead, they pass through a very quick legislative procedure known as a "unanimous consent."

Fonda's honorary resolution seemed to sail through the Senate Wednesday -- until Sen. John Douglas (R-Covington), a retired Army major and chairman of the Senate Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, voiced his personal objection.

Miles gave a fiery speech defending Fonda and the resolution, an action which then prompted Douglas to ask the Senate to reconsider its approval.

On Thursday, Douglas gave a passionate speech Thursday in which he cited a long list of Fonda's anti-Vietnam war efforts during the late 1960s and 1970s.

Fonda, a two-time Academy Award winning-actress, often engaged in anti-war activities during the Vietnam War. In her most infamous action, she posed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun -- a move that angers many veterans to this day.

Fonda has said that she regretted the gesture, but she continues to speak out regularly on controversial political and social issues.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate, honoring Jane Fonda, no matter how much good work she might be doing now, would be the equivalent of this Senate spitting on every person who has ever worn the uniform of this country," Douglas said. "We cannot, we must not allow this resolution to stand unchallenged. We have a stellar track record of supporting out troops and veterans. Let's not throw that away."

Several lawmakers gave Douglas a standing ovation.

Miles, during her speech, refuted charges that she is not understanding and insensitive to the military or war. She said that both her brother and former husband served in the Vietnam War, and that her older daughter is a major in the Army reserves.

"Make no mistake, I have a deep and abiding respect and love for our men and women warriors," Miles said. "I constantly pray for the men and women who are currently deployed in harm's way and for their families."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/0316metlegfonda.html

I gotta buy this guy a beer! It's possible he only lives a few miles away.

Sen. John Douglas (R-Covington), a retired Army major and chairman of the Senate Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, voiced his personal objection..."Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate, honoring Jane Fonda, no matter how much good work she might be doing now, would be the equivalent of this Senate spitting on every person who has ever worn the uniform of this country," Douglas said. "We cannot, we must not allow this resolution to stand unchallenged. We have a stellar track record of supporting out troops and veterans. Let's not throw that away."
:thup:

All I have to say to Jane is..... :finger:

Forum List

Back