Georgia puts criminals to work in fields

I'm originally from near the area in question. There are some teens that do it as a summer job, but the demand for labor far outstrips the supply.

Yes the supply of young people WILLING to do seasonal AG work is very limited now.
Around here they get money/car from mom and dad and are too spoiled to work for it.

It's not even that. Why would you want to pick peaches when you'll be paid the same amount of flip hamburgers or work the register in a department store?

Umm around here most of those jobs are now taken up by much older people.
It is that way in most rural areas lately.

In my area thses jobs used to be done by the teen age/college kids during the summer to get money.
They are now to lazy and spoiled to do it and besides that would mean not talking/texting for a few hours :shock:

They would be doing these jobs, but businesses have convinced them to work for free, for them in internships. Why pay someone when you can intern them for free.

i think that's partly accurate. yes, businesses have convinced kids to work for free or they won't get hired permanently when they're done with school. however, they also think doing a job in a field they won't be working in when they're done with school is beneath them, i think. so i don't think it's laziness.... from what i've seen they actually work harder and have more stress than i ever did as a kid (and i ALWAYS worked).

In my area thses jobs used to be done by the teen age/college kids during the summer to get money.
They are now to lazy and spoiled to do it and besides that would mean not talking/texting for a few hours :shock:

They would be doing these jobs, but businesses have convinced them to work for free, for them in internships. Why pay someone when you can intern them for free.

i think that's partly accurate. yes, businesses have convinced kids to work for free or they won't get hired permanently when they're done with school. however, they also think doing a job in a field they won't be working in when they're done with school is beneath them, i think. so i don't think it's laziness.... from what i've seen they actually work harder and have more stress than i ever did as a kid (and i ALWAYS worked).

so you think it is more of a societial.status thing?

I had not thought of that angle, I suspect your idea has merit but is not the entire answer.
The ovbesity rate among the young is extremely high now. Fat kids do not work much that is obvious.

Where are all the unemployed Georgian workers taking these jobs? Its nice to say that "Americans can do jobs done by illegal alien workes"...theory is only as good as the result. "Can" and "do" are not the same.

Try and tell any institutionalized welfare person that they have to work for that check...:lol: They are lazy fuckers...who think a hard days work is beneath them. I think it is a great idea as punishment... i think it would be a better idea to make welfare recipients show up for at least 16 hours a week.

Win win as far as i am concerned.

Thats the best idea I've heard in a long time. :clap2:

You all ever see the movie Brubaker?

Brubaker (1980) - IMDb

Or read the book: Slavery by Another Name by Douglas A. Blackmon?

Douglas A. Blackmon | Pulitzer Prize | Author

Check out the photo gallery. Georgia has a history of this.
The Georgia penal system pretty well rejected the idea of rehabilitation in the early 20th century with whips and chain gangs becoming common in the system. A system of leasing prisoners to business was adopted and continued for some years. At one time there were over 140 chain gangs through out the state. Portable cages were build to hold the prisoners at the work sites.

Corruption and mistreatment of prisoners lead to abolishing the system by the mid-twenty century. Hopefully that's not the direction the state is going.

Yes the supply of young people WILLING to do seasonal AG work is very limited now.
Around here they get money/car from mom and dad and are too spoiled to work for it.

So what you're saying then, is that the WEALTH of the POOR has INCREASED so much, that youth no longer need or are willing to work?

It's not like it was 30 years ago, the poor live lives of luxury - they SURE aren't going to go pick cucumbers!

Where are all the unemployed Georgian workers taking these jobs? Its nice to say that "Americans can do jobs done by illegal alien workes"...theory is only as good as the result. "Can" and "do" are not the same.

Well you are right I guess. When all the illegals get booted off food stamps, AFDC , and medicaid they will need some work to earn that buss ticket back to the Mother land. Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that half the scum doing the work are illegal anyway and serving time for the typical rape, DUI, and drug related murder you and your brothers from the south commit.

Last edited:
Maybe those unemployed workers are in cities, far from the fields and can't get to work. Maybe some of those unemployed workers need to secure day care for dependent children now that school's out. Maybe some of those unemployed workers have health concerns that would keep them from bending at the waist for eight straight hours. Maybe some of those unemployed workers are out looking for a job that will pay them a living wage and can't afford to waste eight hours on a sub-minimum wage job.

Funny how the bumper sticker logic Conservatives throw around just vanishes like a turd in a rain storm once reality rears its ugly head.

No state "puts prisoners to work". Prisoners make a deal for shorter sentences and lighter security. Convicted people who serve "community service" make the same deal. Only in the vivid imagination of the ignorant left wing do prisoners take jobs away from citizens.

Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown
Article by: RAY HENRY and KATE BRUMBACK , Associated Press Updated: June 22, 2011 - 9:34 AM

. LESLIE, Ga. - It's 3:25 p.m. in a dusty cucumber field in south Georgia. A knot of criminal offenders who spent seven hours in the sun harvesting buckets of vegetables by hand have decided they're calling it quits — exactly as crew leader Benito Mendez predicted in the morning.

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal started the experiment after farmers publicly complained they couldn't find enough workers to harvest labor-intensive crops such as cucumbers and berries because Latino workers — including many illegal immigrants — refused to show up, even when offered one-time or weekly bonuses. One crew who previously worked for Mendez told him they wouldn't come to Georgia for fear of risking deportation.

Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown | StarTribune.com

What a bunch of B.S.!! Since when are criminals given a choice to work or not to work ??? They are at the mercy of the courts and they will work PERIOD if an officer of the court said so!!! Especially and even if on probation. I would believe the story if they had been umemployed people who signed up for work and then decided it was too hard. But.......criminals on probation??? Nope. Besides, there are many LEGAL field workers who would be more than willing to do this job. Come on!!! :doubt::doubt:

Well there's that little "Cruel and Unusual" punishment thingie..

No great shakes for a conservative.

Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown
Article by: RAY HENRY and KATE BRUMBACK , Associated Press Updated: June 22, 2011 - 9:34 AM

. LESLIE, Ga. - It's 3:25 p.m. in a dusty cucumber field in south Georgia. A knot of criminal offenders who spent seven hours in the sun harvesting buckets of vegetables by hand have decided they're calling it quits — exactly as crew leader Benito Mendez predicted in the morning.

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal started the experiment after farmers publicly complained they couldn't find enough workers to harvest labor-intensive crops such as cucumbers and berries because Latino workers — including many illegal immigrants — refused to show up, even when offered one-time or weekly bonuses. One crew who previously worked for Mendez told him they wouldn't come to Georgia for fear of risking deportation.

Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown | StarTribune.com

What a bunch of B.S.!! Since when are criminals given a choice to work or not to work ??? They are at the mercy of the courts and they will work PERIOD if an officer of the court said so!!! Especially and even if on probation. I would believe the story if they had been umemployed people who signed up for work and then decided it was too hard. But.......criminals on probation??? Nope. Besides, there are many LEGAL field workers who would be more than willing to do this job. Come on!!! :doubt::doubt:

If I were in prison, I would love the opportunity. It would beat rotting in a cement box, and dodging butt darts in the shower.

:clap2: Thats how it should be, we dont need illegals to do the work when we are already paying for criminals room and board in prison.

manual labor is not cruel or unusual, millions of americans do that for a living.

manual labor is not cruel or unusual, millions of americans do that for a living.

To this point, the program is voluntary for probationers. If it comes to real prisoners, then there will have ot be an OK from the farmers and ranchers to do so...The State just can't force prison labor onto a private farm or ranch.

Agricultural work may not be "skilled" work, but a bunch of untrained..."less than enthused" pickers can do damage to a crop.

To this point, the program is voluntary for probationers. If it comes to real prisoners, then there will have ot be an OK from the farmers and ranchers to do so...The State just can't force prison labor onto a private farm or ranch.

Agricultural work may not be "skilled" work, but a bunch of untrained..."less than enthused" pickers can do damage to a crop.

And much more. Thees guys will most likely be growing there own food for the prison, or for sale to run the prison. I thing Angola does the same thing.

If I were in prison, I would love the opportunity. It would beat rotting in a cement box, and dodging butt darts in the shower.

And this sort of work helps a prisoner, how?

Don't get me wrong..I think people in jail should work. But they should work at jobs that help them become skilled at something there's a need for in society. Part of the problem with most criminals is they have no marketable skills..and they aren't use to putting in an 8 hour day..5 or more days a week.

Forum List

Back