Georgia puts criminals to work in fields

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown
Article by: RAY HENRY and KATE BRUMBACK , Associated Press Updated: June 22, 2011 - 9:34 AM

. LESLIE, Ga. - It's 3:25 p.m. in a dusty cucumber field in south Georgia. A knot of criminal offenders who spent seven hours in the sun harvesting buckets of vegetables by hand have decided they're calling it quits — exactly as crew leader Benito Mendez predicted in the morning.

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal started the experiment after farmers publicly complained they couldn't find enough workers to harvest labor-intensive crops such as cucumbers and berries because Latino workers — including many illegal immigrants — refused to show up, even when offered one-time or weekly bonuses. One crew who previously worked for Mendez told him they wouldn't come to Georgia for fear of risking deportation.

Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown | StarTribune.com

Where are all the unemployed Georgian workers taking these jobs? Its nice to say that "Americans can do jobs done by illegal alien workes"...theory is only as good as the result. "Can" and "do" are not the same.

In my area thses jobs used to be done by the teen age/college kids during the summer to get money.
They are now to lazy and spoiled to do it and besides that would mean not talking/texting for a few hours :shock:

Last edited:
Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown
Article by: RAY HENRY and KATE BRUMBACK , Associated Press Updated: June 22, 2011 - 9:34 AM

. LESLIE, Ga. - It's 3:25 p.m. in a dusty cucumber field in south Georgia. A knot of criminal offenders who spent seven hours in the sun harvesting buckets of vegetables by hand have decided they're calling it quits — exactly as crew leader Benito Mendez predicted in the morning.

Republican Gov. Nathan Deal started the experiment after farmers publicly complained they couldn't find enough workers to harvest labor-intensive crops such as cucumbers and berries because Latino workers — including many illegal immigrants — refused to show up, even when offered one-time or weekly bonuses. One crew who previously worked for Mendez told him they wouldn't come to Georgia for fear of risking deportation.

Georgia puts probationers to work in fields after farmers complain about immigration crackdown | StarTribune.com
There are several things going on here. Due to the recession, slow recover, and stepped up boarder patrol monitoring there are less migrant workers to pick crops. And yes, many workers probably avoid states where they are more likely to be deported.

As the article explains. results are mixed. Some people just can't or won't do work that is this hard. I know from working as a kid on a farm in summer, you have to have a lot of endurance to make it through the day. Spending all day stooping down to pick vegetables in 100 degree plus temperatures is something a lot of people just can't do.

This is a lot of left wing rhetoric. H-2A visas provide farmers an unlimited supply of farm workers. The problem is illegal aliens don't want to do farm work either and it is no exuse to excuse all illegal aliens. So americans don't want to work in the fields? Only 2% of the illegal aliens workforce do farm work. Put the others remaining ones to work in the fields and we will see them breaking down the fences to get back across the border.
So criminals don't want to work in the fields either? Make them pay for their keep and keep them in the field. This has been successful in the past. Criminals don't want to work anyway.

In my area thses jobs used to be done by the teen age/college kids during the summer to get money.
They are now to lazy and spoiled to do it and besides that would mean not talking/texting for a few hours :shock:

They would be doing these jobs, but businesses have convinced them to work for free, for them in internships. Why pay someone when you can intern them for free.

There are several things going on here. Due to the recession, slow recover, and stepped up boarder patrol monitoring there are less migrant workers to pick crops. And yes, many workers probably avoid states where they are more likely to be deported.

As the article explains. results are mixed. Some people just can't or won't do work that is this hard. I know from working as a kid on a farm in summer, you have to have a lot of endurance to make it through the day. Spending all day stooping down to pick vegetables in 100 degree plus temperatures is something a lot of people just can't do.

I think most Americans want a carrear, and picking fruits and vegetables as a seasonal job with no benefits, retirement, raises, or upward mobility is a major drawback to the produce picking industry.

Where are all the unemployed Georgian workers taking these jobs? Its nice to say that "Americans can do jobs done by illegal alien workes"...theory is only as good as the result. "Can" and "do" are not the same.

Try and tell any institutionalized welfare person that they have to work for that check...:lol: They are lazy fuckers...who think a hard days work is beneath them. I think it is a great idea as punishment... i think it would be a better idea to make welfare recipients show up for at least 16 hours a week.

Win win as far as i am concerned.

They would be doing these jobs, but businesses have convinced them to work for free, for them in internships. Why pay someone when you can intern them for free.

You just make shit up, doncha?

Interns get paid, sparky.

Not all of them, Bubba. Some actually have to pay for their internships and then they recieve college credit. Now that is a scam and a half, I'll give you college credit, and you work for free.

Here is you links : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/fair-unpaid-internships-u_n_547543.html
http://laborlaw.typepad.com/labor_and_employment_law_/2007/11/unpaid-internsh.html

Last edited:
This is an awesome idea. The farmer pays the prison to supply labor & that cuts down on the tax payer expense to house prisoner's. If the workers bring in enough money they can have some extra benefits.

I'm originally from near the area in question. There are some teens that do it as a summer job, but the demand for labor far outstrips the supply.

What a bunch of B.S.!! Since when are criminals given a choice to work or not to work ??? They are at the mercy of the courts and they will work PERIOD if an officer of the court said so!!! Especially and even if on probation. I would believe the story if they had been umemployed people who signed up for work and then decided it was too hard. But.......criminals on probation??? Nope. Besides, there are many LEGAL field workers who would be more than willing to do this job. Come on!!! :doubt::doubt:

I'm originally from near the area in question. There are some teens that do it as a summer job, but the demand for labor far outstrips the supply.

Yes the supply of young people WILLING to do seasonal AG work is very limited now.
Around here they get money/car from mom and dad and are too spoiled to work for it.

Yes the supply of young people WILLING to do seasonal AG work is very limited now.
Around here they get money/car from mom and dad and are too spoiled to work for it.

It's not even that. Why would you want to pick peaches when you'll be paid the same amount of flip hamburgers or work the register in a department store?

Forum List

Back