Georgia Legislature Drops Plans For ‘Religious Freedom’ Bill After Watching Indiana Implode

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
This is too funny, seems like they are running scared now.

Victory for sanity!!

Let nobody tell you that your voice doesn't matter. Nowhere is that more clear than in Georgia this week where the state’s Republican-majority legislature quietly killed their very own “religious freedom” bill after watching their fellow conservatives in Indiana go down in spectacular fashion for passing a similar law.

According to WXIA in Atlanta, the Georgia House Judiciary Committee cancelled a scheduled meeting meant to discuss the pending legislation. The bill is effectively tabled, with support dissolving at an almost hourly rate. Sensing shifting sands, the bill’s author, Republican Sen. Joshua McKoon frantically called on his fellow lawmakers to vote on the bill “as-is” as soon as possible before it was too late. So far, no one – left or right – has seemed eager to take him up on his offer.

Addicting Info Georgia Legislature Drops Plans For Religious Freedom Bill After Watching Indiana Implode

• Banned
Even while Republican politicians, including Indiana’s governor Mike Pence, claim the bill doesn't single out gay people for systematic discrimination, bigoted business owners are bragging about doing just that behind the safety of the law. One owner, perhaps a bit power drunk, even called into a local Indiana radio show to give the hosts an example of how he’s already practicing anti-gay discrimination free of worry:

The business owner, who would not give his name or the name of his business, said he had told some LGBT “people” that equipment was broken in his restaurant and he couldn’t serve them even though it wasn’t and other people were already eating at the tables. “So, yes, I have discriminated,” he told RadioNOW 100.9 hosts. The hosts were surprised the owner said he was okay with discriminating.

“Well, I feel okay with it because it’s my place of business, I pay the rent, I’ve built it with all my money and my doing. It’s my place; I can do whatever I want with it,” he said. “They can have their lifestyle and do their own thing in their own place or with people that want to be with them.”

Georgia, along with nearly 20 other states, planned on pushing through a similar bill… until they watched Indiana.

The backlash towards the bill has come from almost every corner of the American public. CEOs of Fortune 500 companies have condemned the measure, as have small business owners within Indiana. The resulting boycotts have already cost the state millions of dollars and could balloon into the billions. The damage, both financially and to the reputation of the state, can be charitably called “severe.”

2253604412_tolerant_liberal_zpsa3501e2d_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

There is no right to discriminate.

Marriage equality and equal access in public harms no one.

Even while Republican politicians, including Indiana’s governor Mike Pence, claim the bill doesn't single out gay people for systematic discrimination, bigoted business owners are bragging about doing just that behind the safety of the law. One owner, perhaps a bit power drunk, even called into a local Indiana radio show to give the hosts an example of how he’s already practicing anti-gay discrimination free of worry:

The business owner, who would not give his name or the name of his business, said he had told some LGBT “people” that equipment was broken in his restaurant and he couldn’t serve them even though it wasn’t and other people were already eating at the tables. “So, yes, I have discriminated,” he told RadioNOW 100.9 hosts. The hosts were surprised the owner said he was okay with discriminating.

“Well, I feel okay with it because it’s my place of business, I pay the rent, I’ve built it with all my money and my doing. It’s my place; I can do whatever I want with it,” he said. “They can have their lifestyle and do their own thing in their own place or with people that want to be with them.”

Georgia, along with nearly 20 other states, planned on pushing through a similar bill… until they watched Indiana.

The backlash towards the bill has come from almost every corner of the American public. CEOs of Fortune 500 companies have condemned the measure, as have small business owners within Indiana. The resulting boycotts have already cost the state millions of dollars and could balloon into the billions. The damage, both financially and to the reputation of the state, can be charitably called “severe.”

Nope.

While the bill has been stalled since late last week, there is still a chance it could be passed. With only two scheduled days left in Georgia's legislative session ... lawmakers are looking for other opportunities to advance their cause. One possibility is for the religious refusal language to be added to another piece of legislation at the last minute.

Fear this strong is never wrong.

Georgia s Indiana-Style Religious Refusal Bill Could Still Pass Human Rights Campaign

Thirty law professors who are experts in religious freedom wrote in February that the Indiana law does not “mirror the language of the federal RFRA” and “will… create confusion, conflict, and a wave of litigation that will threaten the clarity of religious liberty rights in Indiana while undermining the state’s ability to enforce other compelling interests.

The Big Lie The Media Tells About Indiana’s New ‘Religious Freedom’ Law

Thirty law professors who are experts in religious freedom should know what they're talking about. Read their letter.

There is no right to discriminate.

Marriage equality and equal access in public harms no one.

You have it precisely backwards, Fakey. No big surprise there.

You have no fight to equal treatment from private citizens or businesses.

Georgia may have its ridiculous 'religious freedom' bill if it wants to, although no one's religious freedom is 'in jeopardy,' provided the measure has a provision prohibiting discrimination of gay Americans concerning public accommodations.

Forum List

Back