Georgia and Colorado Try Modern Slavery

beowolfe

Aug 3, 2009
Because of draconian immigration laws passed in these states, both states are trying to use prisoners as farm workers. I'm not sure if that's legal. It seems like a modern day attempt at slavery to me. Forcing a man to work for another man, even if he doesn't want to. Farmworkers are fleeing both states and Americans are not stepping up to take the jobs. So, I guess the illegal immigrant advocates were right in that farmjobs are jobs that Americans won't take.

Because of draconian immigration laws passed in these states, both states are trying to use prisoners as farm workers. I'm not sure if that's legal. It seems like a modern day attempt at slavery to me. Forcing a man to work for another man, even if he doesn't want to. Farmworkers are fleeing both states and Americans are not stepping up to take the jobs. So, I guess the illegal immigrant advocates were right in that farmjobs are jobs that Americans won't take.

About damn they started earning their keep what's taken so long this is an excellent idea!

Ohhh... getting prisoners to work and provide something rather than just being a drain on society and sitting in a cell... how HORRIBLE :rolleyes:

IMHO.. have more of them picking up trash on highways under armed guard... shovel coal... make mulch.. or whatever else

Ohhh... getting prisoners to work and provide something rather than just being a drain on society and sitting in a cell... how HORRIBLE :rolleyes:

IMHO.. have more of them picking up trash on highways under armed guard... shovel coal... make mulch.. or whatever else

The states should hire them out to pay for their incarceration I don't see a problem with that.

13th Amendment:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

14th amendment:

"Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. "

Based on these two sections, as long as due process (trial) is followed, you are allowed to imprision a person. Also under the 13th it appears you can make them work as long as it is punishment for a crime.

You may not like it, but it is 100% constitutional.

About damn they started earning their keep what's taken so long this is an excellent idea!

Ah..so now the state has a right to both incarerate and force into slavery a human being?

How fucking conservative.

Next you'll be telling me the warden has the right to fuck the guy's wife or girlfriend when she visits.

Ah..so now the state has a right to both incarerate and force into slavery a human being?

Next you'll be telling me the warden has the right to fuck the guy's wife or girlfriend when she visits.

Ya how fucking mean of me right...

Colorado has an unemployment rate of 8.3% still people won't apply for the jobs.
Who is going to do the work?
People on unemployment/welfare?
Illegal aliens?
Prison labor is a great idea.

See my post above. People need to read the damn constitution before they start commenting on the legality of things.

Yes the state has the right to incarcerate and force them to do work. Lets call it penal servitude... (heh heh, penal..... heh heh.)

Because of draconian immigration laws passed in these states, both states are trying to use prisoners as farm workers. I'm not sure if that's legal. It seems like a modern day attempt at slavery to me. Forcing a man to work for another man, even if he doesn't want to.
Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Lousianna have been using prisoners for farm work as long as I can remember.

From what I understand, the inmates like it because they get out of their cells and they make a little money in the process.

btw How many years were you incarcerated? :cool:

Here in Texas we have prison farms and convicts are not forced to work but they can work and earn a little money if they so choose.

By all means.. let's make sure they have a private sleep area with a memory foam mattress, unlimited comic books and cable tv and time to think about rainbows and puppies while talking to state funded therapists

:rolleyes:

They are prisoners... not free citizens...

Fine.. want them to have a choice??... work detail or 23.75 hours a day of solitary confinement, and only basic sustenance

Prove that these inmates are forced to work.

Consider this.. When a felon goes to prison he is forcing We the People to Work to support him whether we want to or knot. Now who do you think is the slave?

Because of draconian immigration laws passed in these states, both states are trying to use prisoners as farm workers. I'm not sure if that's legal. It seems like a modern day attempt at slavery to me. Forcing a man to work for another man, even if he doesn't want to.
Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Lousianna have been using prisoners for farm work as long as I can remember.

From what I understand, the inmates like it because they get out of their cells and they make a little money in the process.

btw How many years were you incarcerated? :cool:

Speaking for myself, almost three years.

Going to prison is completely voluntary. If you don't want to, don't break the law.

Simple, huh?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. — For years, the juvenile court system in Wilkes-Barre operated like a conveyor belt: Youngsters were brought before judges without a lawyer, given hearings that lasted only a minute or two, and then sent off to juvenile prison for months for minor offenses.

The explanation, prosecutors say, was corruption on the bench.

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.

Forum List

Back