Georgetown co-ed: Please pay for us to have sex …

Oh, and btw I made it through law school without purchasing a single type of birth control.

Come to think of it, I still haven't paid for any birth control. One of the benefits of obeying the law of chastity is it frees up your costs and your attention to other more important things.

Re-reading the OP link and listening to the actual testimony, Sandra Fluke did not say "protected sex".

The "protected sex" bit was added in by a male writer (Craig Bannister) who is quoted in a gray box in the OP link. His opinion piece is here: Sex-Crazed Co-Eds Going Broke Buying Birth Control, Student Tells Pelosi Hearing Touting Freebie Mandate | CNSNews.com

If you listen to Fluke in the video at the end of the OP link, she is clearly talking about the Pill. Not condoms.

So this guy Bannister invented the condom thing to make fun of Fluke. He is, basically, being a dick.

I do not know how much the Pill costs, but $1,000 a year is probably not out of the ballpark.

Nevertheless, my other objections stand. Someone who can afford more than $60K a year to go to Georgetown and then go on to a very highly paid career in the top 1% can probably afford a thousand bucks a year for the Pill.

BIRTH CONTROL IS FREE. All she has to do is take her highly educated, highly sleezy ass down to the county health department. They will give her a pap, they will diagnose and treat any stds she has, test her for HIV and give her a year's prescription for pills, including a bag full of the first 6 months. At the end of 6 months, if she doesn't have enough to fill her prescription, back to the clinic she goes, where they slap her in the stirrups again and send her out the door with another six months worth.

Did you listen to Fluke's testimony? She said a lesbian girlfriend of hers got a big cyst on her ovaries because she could not afford the Pill.

How do you reconcile this with what you are saying?

I'm not being argumentative, but there is some kind of disconnect somewhere that I am not seeing the nature of.

And lessens the likelihood that you will pick up an embarassing, and expensive (well, for somebody) disease.

Re-reading the OP link and listening to the actual testimony, Sandra Fluke did not say "protected sex".

The "protected sex" bit was added in by a male writer (Craig Bannister) who is quoted in a gray box in the OP link. His opinion piece is here: Sex-Crazed Co-Eds Going Broke Buying Birth Control, Student Tells Pelosi Hearing Touting Freebie Mandate | CNSNews.com

If you listen to Fluke in the video at the end of the OP link, she is clearly talking about the Pill. Not condoms.

So this guy Bannister invented the condom thing to make fun of Fluke. He is, basically, being a dick.

I do not know how much the Pill costs, but $1,000 a year is probably not out of the ballpark.

Nevertheless, my other objections stand. Someone who can afford more than $60K a year to go to Georgetown and then go on to a very highly paid career in the top 1% can probably afford a thousand bucks a year for the Pill.
g500, she may be on scholarship, as I was at Harvard. No one I knew THOUGHT of asking the university to pay for birth control. I cleaned the other students' bathrooms for spending money. After that, I got a private part time job. Let her work for her luxuries.

Amen.

BIRTH CONTROL IS FREE. All she has to do is take her highly educated, highly sleezy ass down to the county health department. They will give her a pap, they will diagnose and treat any stds she has, test her for HIV and give her a year's prescription for pills, including a bag full of the first 6 months. At the end of 6 months, if she doesn't have enough to fill her prescription, back to the clinic she goes, where they slap her in the stirrups again and send her out the door with another six months worth.

Did you listen to Fluke's testimony? She said a lesbian girlfriend of hers got a big cyst on her ovaries because she could not afford the Pill.

I'm not being argumentative, but there is some kind of disconnect somewhere that I am not seeing the nature of.

Actually, if you read the whole thing...the lesbian girlfriend thing...birth control is used for treatment ONLY if the patient needs birth control as well. Otherwise, there are other forms of (preferred) treatment.

Also, the argument was made that some insurance providers would actually pay for the hormones if they are by way of treating a medical condition.

Hard to believe that a sentient human being would embarrass herself in this manner.

C'mon...this is from Saturday Night Live, isn't it?

How come all the lawyers on the board aren't screaming 'we are not all this stupid!!!"?

Given that the only person I know of on this board claiming to be a lawyer is Jillian, who is pretty well on par with this chick.....

I think Fluke wants the Pill paid for. A thousand bucks a year.

I say if you can't afford the Pill, buy condoms. And they are safer for your health, actually. The Pill does nothing to prevent STDs.

So she is making a lame argument.

The woman with the cysts, something needs to be done there. This is clearly a health issue and if the Pill is the BEST option, and she is unable to get the pill for her disease for some reason, then that requires a solution. I would donate my own money to help out such a person. Gladly.

But I would never force a church to buy her the Pill.

Actually, if you read the whole thing...the lesbian girlfriend thing...birth control is used for treatment ONLY if the patient needs birth control as well. Otherwise, there are other forms of (preferred) treatment.

Also, the argument was made that some insurance providers would actually pay for the hormones if they are by way of treating a medical condition.

Well, I did some googling and there does not appear to be any better treatment other than weight loss by obese women who have PCOS. Other than that, the Pill appears to be the best treatment.

I would imagine in that case the college insurance could be moved to fund it.

If not, OMG, she might have to pay $25 a month (maybe it's $50 now) for her treatment. Horrors. My retired mother, who is 78 and worked full time until just this year, and has Medicare and private insurance, pays $300 and more a month for her meds...and there are no alternatives to hers.

Ms. Fluke angry at the idea that she be 'forced' to attend another (less pretigious) university that would pay for contraceptives, or be 'forced' to abstain. Apparently she doesn't think women have the ability to 'just say no' and they have a right to casual sex, paid for by others:

"We refuse to pick between a quality education and our health and we resent that, in the 21st Century, anyone thinks it’s acceptable to ask us to make that choice simply because we are women,” Fluke said.

"Ms. Fluke, Iresent that you think women are incapable of controlling themselves, of sacrificing temporary pleasure for the sake of long-term success. You make us sound like animals, slaves to our instincts and able to be used, but we’re better than that. We’re persons, equal to men in dignity and love."

Georgetown co-ed: Please pay for us to have sex … We’re going broke buying birth control « Hot Air

Hard to believe that a sentient human being would embarrass herself in this manner.

How come all the lawyers on the board aren't screaming 'we are not all this stupid!!!"?
As both an Ivy League AND an attorney, this woman is an immature, selfish, silly TWIT. (Georgetown is not in the Ivy League but has student work programs like DORM CREW that I did 10 hours a week my freshman year.) This woman needs to get a JOB, if sex is of so much importance to her. She may not have the money, Georgetown also gives scholarships. TOUGH LUCK. Work to earn the money, or spend less on other luxuries.

I was lucky to have $2.35 bucks in 1980 to afford a once a week subway ride into Boston for fries & a coke at McDonald's.

How many students would like to testify to their hardship because they can't afford beer, or a car, or a trip on spring break. If the school is going to pay for recreational sex, they should also pay for recreational beer. Or she could just tell the guy if he wants to fuck the least he can do is buy the birth control.

Given that the only person I know of on this board claiming to be a lawyer is Jillian, who is pretty well on par with this chick.....

That's because I dont make a big deal about being a lawyer. It's irrelevant to most discussions.

Why on earth would a Catholic college pay for recreational sex?

This is just more of the government, via a law student, trying to force the church to fund Obama's nastiness.

Obama had better lose the election is all I can say.

I am also an attorney, and think this woman is ABSURD.

Wait..I thought the only people who think accountability is king are backward hicks! Who knew that educated people could be moral and responsible, as well!

It's the end of the world, I tell ya!

That's because I dont make a big deal about being a lawyer. It's irrelevant to most discussions.
And want subjects that don't involve the elements of Family, Tort, Contract, Crim. and CON law. ; )

I am also an attorney, and think this woman is ABSURD.

There seems to be a bunch of us here.

I read someone on the web did the math and figured they must be having unprotected sex about three times a day every day to make that 3K cost model viable.....:eek:....wow, when the hell do they study?:eusa_eh:

It costs a female student $3,000 to have protected sex over the course of her three-year stint in law school, according to her calculations.

Awwwwww...that poor little rich girl! Such suffering!
It's always entertaining how people who hate "class warfare" are so quick to pull it out when it suits their needs.

A shitload. What does that have to do with anything?

Not that much, at the beginning. Starting work as a lawyer means 20-hour days for shit pay.

Who pays for the contraception of the poor who cannot attend Georgetown?
Planned Parenthood, mostly.

These and other questions will not be answered by those who would trample on the Constitution. Future lawyers, no less!
"Trample the Constitution"? Not quite.
theDoc, I agree with you on most issues but asking Georgetown to pay for birth control is WAY over the line! Once again, a JOB would pay for her after class "activities".

Forum List

Back