George Will & Prohibition

Using the criteria we have failed to stamp out some illegal activity as an excuse to simply make it legal would lead one to believe the MILLIONS of home break ins that occur every year should just be legalized, after all according to YOUR criteria we have failed at stopping them. Same with murder and a slew of other crimes.
Red herring.

Burglary and murder are crimes of aggression against another person...Smoking a joint or stuffing some coke in your head is not such an act of aggression.

Burglary is almost universally non violent. But to the point. It is no red herring. THE CRITERIA listed is that because we can not stop the crime we should stop making it a crime. That applies to many crimes. Such a criteria is not only foolish it is beyond stupid.

Once again if you have the will of the people just pass an amendment. Problem solved.

Nice dodge!! (Maybe I should call it a Will.)

You never answered the question: You'd have MAINTAINED the Prohibition, against alcohol???

Your question is pointless.
Gee.....another dodge/George-Will.

:clap2:

Lemme guess.....you're (either) some wannabe-schoolboy (who dreams o' bein' the next John Wayne/Chickenhawk-Extraordinaire)....or, you are some retiree, who's forgotten-all-about how to think-things-thru....preferring to be TOLD what to do (like a good, lil' "conservative"; i.e. go-along to get-along).

:rolleyes:

I notice you conveniently deleted the relevant part of the quote. You know the one where the PEOPLE passed an amendment legalizing alcohol sale and consumption?

Sharron Angle agrees with prohibition. I wonder what the Tea Baggers think of that?

Using the criteria we have failed to stamp out some illegal activity as an excuse to simply make it legal would lead one to believe the MILLIONS of home break ins that occur every year should just be legalized, after all according to YOUR criteria we have failed at stopping them. Same with murder and a slew of other crimes.

Not really.

Not unless, of course, one cannot differentiate between "the law" and real crime.

Obviously in your case, you can't.

Thanks for your imput though.

Ohh so now YOU are the arbiter on what is and is not a real crime? Funny I always thought that was the Government. Once again pee brain if you have the votes pass an amendment. Pretty damn simple concept.

Red herring.

Burglary and murder are crimes of aggression against another person...Smoking a joint or stuffing some coke in your head is not such an act of aggression.

Burglary is almost universally non violent. But to the point. It is no red herring. THE CRITERIA listed is that because we can not stop the crime we should stop making it a crime. That applies to many crimes. Such a criteria is not only foolish it is beyond stupid.
Yet.....you managed to put-it-together!!!!

Congratulations......

323.png

Your question is pointless.
Gee.....another dodge/George-Will.

:clap2:

Lemme guess.....you're (either) some wannabe-schoolboy (who dreams o' bein' the next John Wayne/Chickenhawk-Extraordinaire)....or, you are some retiree, who's forgotten-all-about how to think-things-thru....preferring to be TOLD what to do (like a good, lil' "conservative"; i.e. go-along to get-along).

I notice you conveniently deleted the relevant part of the quote. You know the one where the PEOPLE passed an amendment legalizing alcohol sale and consumption?

I left-in what I wanted to respond-to.

You can do all-o'-the-tap-dancin' you want.

You RAN-AWAY, rather-than making a decision. Just more o' that good, ol'-fashioned, "conservative"-LAZINESS.

Red herring.

It's the things you do to get that stuff.
"A study released Thursday by the Rand Corporation claims that marijuana price$ in a post-legalization California could drop by up to 80 percent, placing some of the most delicately cultivated buds in the world at less than $40 an ounce.

An initiative that would legalize California's most valuable cash crop will be on the state's Nov. 2010 ballot. Should it pass, individual counties and municipalities would be able to opt in or out of the legalized system; those which opt in would be given additional tax and enforcement options, and residents would be allowed to transport up to one ounce and grow plants in a five-foot-by-five-foot area."

What better way to vaporize the ol' "conservative"-Absolute about criminal-elements involved in transportation/sales????

241.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qnwp6J7P20]YouTube - Marijuana Inc. on MSNBC with Al Roker - Part 1 of 5[/ame]​

Your Tax-Dollar$ At Work

"Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko, his budget under pressure in a weak economy, has laid off staff, reduced patrols and even released jail inmates. But there's one mission on which he's spending more than in recent years: pot busts.

The reason is simple: If he steps up his pursuit of marijuana growers, his department is eligible for roughly half a million dollars a year in federal anti-drug funding, helping save some jobs. The majority of the funding would have to be used to fight pot. Marijuana may not be the county's most pressing crime problem, the sheriff says, but "it's where the money is."

Does anyone know when-it-was that George Will was castrated??​

November 30, 2009

"Colorado Attorney General John Suthers has been among the state's most vocal critics of current medical-marijuana policy. So it's no wonder conservative columnist George Will sought him out -- and they apparently got along famously.

In a November 25 entry on his Facebook page, Suthers wrote: "Had breakfast with political analyst George Will. I've admired him for years. We talked medical marijuana and baseball. Fascinating!"

So, too, was the Will column that resulted. The piece simultaneously attacked the "hypocrisy" of Colorado's approach even as it kinda/sorta/in-a-way argued for marijuana legalization. Or maybe not."

Whatta wimp...... :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure what your point is here.

George Will's seems to be that prohibition of substances that people take to get high are doomed to fail.

He notes, correctly I think, that alcohol prohibition was a disaster.

Marijuana prohibition appears (to me, at least) to be as well.

Is he wrong?

Am I?

Sharron Angle agrees with prohibition. I wonder what the Tea Baggers think of that?

92.gif

esther3.jpg

Some o' the nicest-people smoke Pot!!

Last edited:
WHEW!!!!!

At LEAST he wasn't smokin' POT!!!!!!

"Assistant Police Chief David Duke says Harris may have had as many as 15 shots in two-and-a-half hours as he celebrated his birthday Monday night.

A preliminary investigation indicated Harris died of respiratory arrest caused by alcohol poisoning. The cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner after review of the toxicology reports."

Not really.

Not unless, of course, one cannot differentiate between "the law" and real crime.

Obviously in your case, you can't.

Thanks for your imput though.

Ohh so now YOU are the arbiter on what is and is not a real crime?

If not me, who?

You?

Funny I always thought that was the Government.

Of course you do.

You've an authoritarian personality. Real freedom frightens the shit of you.

Once again pee brain if you have the votes pass an amendment. Pretty damn simple concept.

Apparently the floundering fathers must have liked we "pee brains", Lad.

You'll note that their FIRST AMENDMENT is all about facilitating FREE discussions of the laws and society among citizens, right?

A discussion of the merit of laws among citizens in a democratic nation is the first step in of changing the laws we cannot abide, sport.

Which, again, just in case you haven't been paying attention, is ALREADY happening in many states as it pertains to the prohibition of marijuana.

Pee brains it would seem, apparently are having some effect on this society.

"Patients treated at Veterans Affairs hospitals and clinics will be able to use medical marijuana in the 14 states where it's legal, according to new federal guidelines.

The directive from the Veterans Affairs Department in the coming week is intended to clarify current policy that says veterans can be denied pain medication if they use illegal drugs. Veterans groups have complained for years that this could bar veterans from VA benefits if they were caught using medical marijuana.

The new guidance does not authorize VA doctors to begin prescribing medical marijuana, which is considered an illegal drug under federal law. But it will now make clear that in the 14 states where state and federal law are in conflict, VA clinics generally will allow the use of medical marijuana for veterans already taking it under other clinicians."

:cool:

More blogs, winger sites, and activist sites from the uber-asshole-troll Mr. Shithead
Ya' know, Skippy......if you throw yourself on-the-floor & hold-your-breath, Mom & Dad might cave, and give you access to those sites!

:eusa_whistle:

"Family Guy celebrated 4/20 in style with an episode in which Brian gets arrested for marijuana, campaigns to legalize it and ultimately succumbs to dark forces that want to get "hemp illegalized again."

The "420" episode was timed for the Stoner National Holiday (it aired on Fox on 4/19). Not since The Simpsons' "Weekend at Burnsie's" episode in 2002 has an animated show swam so deeply in marijuana waters.

After Brian is caught with a quarter ounce "bag of weed" in Peter's car and is jailed and bailed out, he delivers the first of several stoner speeches: "Pot is illegal because William Randolph Hearst ran a smear campaign against marijuana in the 1930s to protect his interests in the timber industry, because hemp was poised to replace wood as an inexpensive raw material for the manufacture of paper."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXdk8lXTDc&p=B42470DF40FCCD84&playnext=1&index=40]YouTube - Family- Guy Bag Of Weed[/ame]​

"Many Americans of a certain age will remember that in the 1970s, seedy homegrown pot was reviled for its raw, throat-burning quality. Now dope-smoking locavores steer clear of cheap, low- and mid-grade weed in favor of organically grown boutique strains. They speak of "presentation" and varieties so agreeably complex that "you inhale one flavor and exhale another." Just as in the vineyards of the Napa Valley a few miles to the north, complexities come from the soil, from the fruits of labor, from careful breeding. Suddenly, pot has terroir.

It's surreal, even for California, but it may be our future.

Fourteen years after Californians approved medical marijuana, they return on Tuesday to consider Proposition 19. This would allow people 21 or older to become the first in the nation to legally cultivate, possess and use small amounts of marijuana, and let local governments license commercial growers and retailers.

If it doesn't pass, its backers vow to return. If it does pass, California will become even more cannabis-friendly than the Netherlands."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV8rPhLH0Bc[/ame]​

Forum List

Back