George Will and the "Triumph of Unrealism"

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
It seems that conservative commentator George Will has had his fill of the phony conservatives now inhabiting 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, especially given recent events between Israel and Hezbollah and the foiled airline bombing plot in Britain.

He states that the quashed airline bombing plot validated John Kerry's assertion in a January 2004 debate that:

<blockquote>...although the war on terror will be "occasionally military," it is "primarily an intelligence and law enforcement operation that requires cooperation around the world." - John Kerry, 01/24/04</blockquote>

And for this, Kerry was ridiculed by the right-wing noise machine. He now stands vindicated by events and, reluctantly, acknowledged by conservatives...Real conservatives, not the make-believe ones now infesting government at all levels.

For more on Will's editorial, go <a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/14/AR2006081401163_pf.html><b>HERE</b></a>.

Is this supposed to imply Bush isn't pushing America to work with allies in the WOT through law enforcement?
Liberals don't seem to understand we can do multiple things at the same time.
Maybe this Prez can walk and chew chewing gum at the same time?
:gang1:

Is this supposed to imply Bush isn't pushing America to work with allies in the WOT through law enforcement?

Bully's arguing that this whole terrorism thing can be dealt with by police and normal criminal proceedings. No need for military or build up of CIA, FBI, etc.

Bully's arguing that this whole terrorism thing can be dealt with by police and normal criminal proceedings. No need for military or build up of CIA, FBI, etc.

Well if that's what Kerry has in mind the courts are going to have to be open 24/7 and police may as well never go home...:smoke: I wonder if we have enough jails for millions of terrorists???? (sarcasm)

You didn't read very carefully...

<blockquote>..."primarily an <b><i>intelligence</i></b> and <b><i>law enforcement</i></b> operation that requires cooperation around the world."</blockquote>

That means the intelligence community and the law enforcement community sharing intel and analysis instead of stove-piping it. That means humint and sigint shared with international intelligence and law-enforcement agencies on a global basis. Golly! That sounds like drug interdiction programs! Same idea...just a different threat utilizing many of the same tactics.

So that means staffing the CIA and FBI with translators and analysts fluent in the languages and cultures of islamic terrorists. But, under Chimpy's eagle eye, the CIA's bin Laden unit was shut down, and insuficient numbers of native arabic speakers have been brought into the CIA and FBI. When the military does need to be used...you have spec ops forces, but wait...Damn! They're all tied up in Iraq and an increasingly unstable Afghanistan.

You might want to actually read George Will's piece as well.

Unfortunately, Chimpy <i>et al</i> aren't really interested in working on a multilateral basis with anyone else. As for walking and chewing gum at the same time, Chimpy might be able to do that if he gives his ears a good tug and pops his head out of his butt, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Forum List

Back