George Washington Carver

You sully Carver's name; he rose from poverty. Yes, historians like DuBois, educators like Booker T. Washington, and many, many others also were great. Greatest scientist remains Carver in my eyes.

Carver was great, but wasn't he primarily in agriculture? Seems to me that Ben Franklin did much more to change the world in his time. lets see,

he invented bi focals, the flexible catheter, invented the lightning rod which actually saved lives, invented the franklin stove which gave out superior heat in freezing winters which also saved lives, was the first to note that electricity had a positive and a negative, invented swim fins, he observed the effects of lead poisoning, He also founded or co- founded the first public library where you could check out books, the nations first fire department, Americas first art academy, America's first public hospital. like Carver, he did not patent anything but let it be used freely by the public. He invented a clock that used a simplified form of only three gears, he studied the theories of heat transfer, and ocean temperatures. I think for his time he was much more diverse in his curiosity of invention. Of course they lived in different time periods and the methods of study had changed some by the time Carver was around.

Carver may have been the most influential in agriculture I think .He did things that revolutionized that area

Well this is what Peach is talking about Benjamin Banneker existed and actually did as much, if not more than Franklin.

Banneker is another under rated scientist, born in 1731, astronomer, mathematician, etc. I limited the GREATEST only to born in the US, died in the US. Good to see more than white names however, that I see as racism.

Mentioning Franklin is racism? why is that? Its just that, when I think of the lightning rod, the franklin stove invention, those theories of electricity that helped to revolutionize things for the US. Its those inventions that stand out to me not his skin color. Sorry you have to see racism, but thats your problem

You sully Carver's name; he rose from poverty. Yes, historians like DuBois, educators like Booker T. Washington, and many, many others also were great. Greatest scientist remains Carver in my eyes.

Carver was great, but wasn't he primarily in agriculture? Seems to me that Ben Franklin did much more to change the world in his time. lets see,

he invented bi focals, the flexible catheter, invented the lightning rod which actually saved lives, invented the franklin stove which gave out superior heat in freezing winters which also saved lives, was the first to note that electricity had a positive and a negative, invented swim fins, he observed the effects of lead poisoning, He also founded or co- founded the first public library where you could check out books, the nations first fire department, Americas first art academy, America's first public hospital. like Carver, he did not patent anything but let it be used freely by the public. He invented a clock that used a simplified form of only three gears, he studied the theories of heat transfer, and ocean temperatures. I think for his time he was much more diverse in his curiosity of invention. Of course they lived in different time periods and the methods of study had changed some by the time Carver was around.

Carver may have been the most influential in agriculture I think .He did things that revolutionized that area

Well this is what Peach is talking about Benjamin Banneker existed and actually did as much, if not more than Franklin.

Banneker is another under rated scientist, born in 1731, astronomer, mathematician, etc. I limited the GREATEST only to born in the US, died in the US. Good to see more than white names however, that I see as racism.

Mentioning Franklin is racism? why is that? Its just that, when I think of the lightning rod, the franklin stove invention, those theories of electricity that helped to revolutionize things for the US. Its those inventions that stand out to me not his skin color. Sorry you have to see racism, but thats your problem

I think peach means that history only mentions white scientists and that's what peach sees as racism. It actually is. And please spare us the fake colorblindness.

Thanks anyway. Carver was the greatest of all, stautes of him dot nations in other parts of the world. After his death, his work saved hundreds of thousands in India, SE Asia....a genius no one cannot expect to suddenly be, he must be remembered. (As should Julian, Amos, et. al.)

They would rather erect statues of Stonewall Jackson here than recognize the greatness of anyone who is not white. But you are the racist or even mentioning that a black man actually accomplished something. This is the lunacy we are dealing with here.

Then one can never know US history. Now, W.E.B. Dubois remains a great historian, historians agree. Still, his genius created tedius reading, digging through is rewarded. Likewise B.T. Washington. (I am still excited about black history as it is less studied.)

I have a problem with Booker T Washington. His philosophy was bad for black progress.

So did Du Bois. yes, Washington said "suffer, do not advance until: _______" He must be remembered however as daring to address the subject, in his times. (Samuel Trotter was more like _________ Trotters newspaper was his life in a sense.)

Dubois was the one who saw that blacks could advance if we formed organizations to use the power of coalitions. He helped found the NAACP which has turned out to be the greatest organization blacks have had relative to achievement. Booker T's wait and maybe one day whites will respect us method did not and has never worked. Blacks already knew trades. Washington is promoted by whites for his soft approach. What about Lewis Latimer? We wouldn't really have light if not for him.

The Black Inventor Online Museum | Lewis Latimer

Latimer also patented phones. Yes, without him, both would have faded away, most likely.

I think peach means that history only mentions white scientists and that's what peach sees as racism. It actually is. And please spare us the fake colorblindness.

Ive heard about George Washington Carver and others so why are you saying they are not mentioned? maybe cause you guys are looking for racism again? thats fine dont stop looking Im sure youll see it everywhere

Ive heard about George Washington Carver and others so why are you saying they are not mentioned? maybe cause you guys are looking for racism again? thats fine dont stop looking Im sure youll see it everywhere

I believe I should, my parents taught me to examine myself for the signs. No "it can't happen here" allowed. It is still happening, South Africa's slavery was in my lifetime as was "Rhodesia's" (now Zimbabwe). Ascelphias wrote about wanting the opinions of blacks on a black hero; I took note, then realized I could not tell Nat Turner from John Brown, for a couple off minutes, got scared, so I had to look it up. I posted here about Washington's racism, Jefferson's and Madison's but had not looked at my own recently. Cleansing your soul of evil is the only way to live. I was taught in school that "saying flax" too quickly wasn't knowledge but rote memory.

I believe I should, my parents taught me to examine myself for the signs. No "it can't happen here" allowed. It is still happening, South Africa's slavery was in my lifetime as was "Rhodesia's" (now Zimbabwe). Ascelphias wrote about wanting the opinions of blacks on a black hero; I took note, then realized I could not tell Nat Turner from John Brown, for a couple off minutes, got scared, so I had to look it up. I posted here about Washington's racism, Jefferson's and Madison's but had not looked at my own recently. Cleansing your soul of evil is the only way to live. I was taught in school that "saying flax" too quickly wasn't knowledge but rote memory.

I think a big part of why Americans may not know about all these black inventors and scientists is not so much racism but the fact that in general, we are very weak on history in the US. I think most Americans would have a lot of trouble coming up with 5 white scientists or inventors of that same time period, the main reason Franklin came to my mind was because he was such a revolutionary (literaly) for his time. In both inventions and politics
he was a leader. It wasnt so much to say white people are smarter. I do remember reading about George Washington Carver in middle school right along with others like Einstein and Graham Bell but basically they were all glossed over. Another thing is, Carver was a genius in his field but how many Americans today are really that much into agriculture? Most of us today, when you think of science are going to be thinking about other forms of technology regarding electricity or nuclear. Maybe if that same poll was taken back around the turn of the 19th century you would have gotten a different result. that was back around the time when many more Americans were farmers themselves or working in that industry. This is not necessarily racism, so what I don't understand here is I thought most public schools in the US were controlled primarily by a liberal teachers Union. So why are we not taught these things? again, not racism but poor effort on teaching American history in general.

Carver was a genius in his field but how many Americans today are really that much into agriculture? Most of us today, when you think of science are going to be thinking about other forms of technology regarding electricity or nuclear.

Food is more important, though as you note science today means glitz over utility. Back to racism, I looked up a couple of cases I am sadly familiar with, as I only partially remembered, institutionalized racism took several quater million dollar+ lawsuits in my area, plus hard feelings, and personal pain....just to enforce the Voting Rights Act.

Carver was a genius in his field but how many Americans today are really that much into agriculture? Most of us today, when you think of science are going to be thinking about other forms of technology regarding electricity or nuclear.

Food is more important, though as you note science today means glitz over utility. Back to racism, I looked up a couple of cases I am sadly familiar with, as I only partially remembered, institutionalized racism took several quater million dollar+ lawsuits in my area, plus hard feelings, and personal pain....just to enforce the Voting Rights Act.

I looked it up and in 1900 38% of our workforce was in farming, by 2008 it dropped down to 2% people today pick up their fruit and vegetables in the store without even giving a thought about the process. I had a friend once who had never seen a beet before outside of the sliced ones you see in a can, and was shocked when I showed her what a whole one with the skin on looked like. I really don't see how you can say most of us today.
What I mean is we are far removed from being aware of those things. Carver revolutionized farming practices in America, but most americans today don't really give a thought about farming to begin with so why would carver's contributions be in the fore front? among higher educated people who are into academics and History yes, but you cant expect your average auto mechanic or sales person to be aware of these things, not with todays education system. Those same people wont know much about white inventors or scientists as well. I am aware there are lots of racists around, but I think not every deficiency in society is due to racism, peoples minds are on other things that they have to do, not everyones interest is in academia and I think thats a big factor

Carver revolutionized farming practices in America, but most americans today don't really give a thought about farming to begin with so why would carver's contributions be in the fore front? among higher educated people who are into academics and History yes, but you cant expect your average auto mechanic or sales person to be aware of these things, not with todays education system.

Computers will not be necessary shouuld society change. Agriculture will. Education is more than a classroom, or stand in front of the screen experience, living on a farm and ranch 17 yers ago taught me much more than I could learn else where.

I think a big part of why Americans may not know about all these black inventors and scientists is not so much racism but the fact that in general, we are very weak on history in the US. I think most Americans would have a lot of trouble coming up with 5 white scientists or inventors of that same time period, the main reason Franklin came to my mind was because he was such a revolutionary (literaly) for his time. In both inventions and politics
he was a leader. It wasnt so much to say white people are smarter. I do remember reading about George Washington Carver in middle school right along with others like Einstein and Graham Bell but basically they were all glossed over. Another thing is, Carver was a genius in his field but how many Americans today are really that much into agriculture? Most of us today, when you think of science are going to be thinking about other forms of technology regarding electricity or nuclear. Maybe if that same poll was taken back around the turn of the 19th century you would have gotten a different result. that was back around the time when many more Americans were farmers themselves or working in that industry. This is not necessarily racism, so what I don't understand here is I thought most public schools in the US were controlled primarily by a liberal teachers Union. So why are we not taught these things? again, not racism but poor effort on teaching American history in general.

Racism does play a role but what you say is fair enough. I don't really think Einstein or Bell were glossed over to the extent of other black inventers besides Carver.

Now let me address this silly belief from whites who think people just look for racism. Racism is a foundation on which this country was built. We just need to understand this and quit trying to bully those of us who call it out because whites did it and you don't like hearing it. Maybe begin considering how we must feel having to actually live with it.

Racism is in my back yard. Lawsuits to protect obvious violations of the Voting Rights Act, beyond personal feelings were facts. Until districts were set up, no black candidate in local contests could win, ever. Not 100 years ago, 25-27, and redistricting can set racial lines in stone. Keep up the watch dogging. ( I poll watched 8 years ago, 2000 was, and must remain, fresh in Supervisers minds,( after exit polling for a certain party,) this was tougher. No horrible incidents, but funds for absentees must be available, adequate parking, handicap access, and I did not hide behind a tree in three different bug infested, very rural areas for the joy of it.)

..... So why are we not taught these things? again, not racism but poor effort on teaching American history in general.

How about poor retention years after leaving school? How many people could you stop on the street randomly who remember what they learned in high school about biology or calculus?

Thanks anyway. Carver was the greatest of all, stautes of him dot nations in other parts of the world. After his death, his work saved hundreds of thousands in India, SE Asia....a genius no one cannot expect to suddenly be, he must be remembered. (As should Julian, Amos, et. al.)

They would rather erect statues of Stonewall Jackson here than recognize the greatness of anyone who is not white. But you are the racist or even mentioning that a black man actually accomplished something. This is the lunacy we are dealing with here.

Then one can never know US history. Now, W.E.B. Dubois remains a great historian, historians agree. Still, his genius created tedius reading, digging through is rewarded. Likewise B.T. Washington. (I am still excited about black history as it is less studied.)

I have a problem with Booker T Washington. His philosophy was bad for black progress.

So did Du Bois. yes, Washington said "suffer, do not advance until: _______" He must be remembered however as daring to address the subject, in his times. (Samuel Trotter was more like _________ Trotters newspaper was his life in a sense.)

CORRECTION WILLIAM MONROE TROTTER, with DuBois at the Niagra group meetings.

For a white guy, Carver was utterly unimpressive. For a black guy, an Einstein.

What's one useful contribution he made? <crickets> At least he didn't smoke crack, I don't think.

What's one useful contribution he made? <crickets> At least he didn't smoke crack, I don't think.

I believe he was pretty instrumental in crop rotation for one, there may have been others besides him but thats what he's known for. thats pretty useful, it maintains nutrients in the soil

Black greats have been passed over in the "all white" history, it must end.
Totally in agreement with you he should get a portion the heat for his part in bringing in GMO's and the associated chemical crap that everyone and their brother is subjected to now too!

I believe he was pretty instrumental in crop rotation for one, there may have been others besides him but thats what he's known for. thats pretty useful, it maintains nutrients in the soil

Carver taught black farmers to rotate crops, but he didn't come up with any crop rotation breakthroughs himself.

well, i will say this. He dedicated his life to helping other people and actually Billions of dollars have been made off the peanut butter Industry, not to mention, without that then the Jam and Jelly industry would not have done so well. Were actually talking about a lot of jobs here. So to say he hasn't made a useful contribution is really riddiculous

..... So why are we not taught these things? again, not racism but poor effort on teaching American history in general.

How about poor retention years after leaving school? How many people could you stop on the street randomly who remember what they learned in high school about biology or calculus?

How about we say your reply was a sorry excuse of a defense of racism?

.Yeah, that's why no whites were able to accomplish what Carver did.

Forum List

Back