George W. Bush: The Pros and the Cons

First of all, Its not their oil anymore. ASK THEM!~

Exaggerated self-importance and pomposity - he would need to in his position.

then wouldn't that apply to all that have been in that position?

No. Shrub needs to have it exaggerated ego to be in the position hes in.

Grandiose behavior - I believe he believes hes on a mission from god

Sorry, your beliefs don't make a diagnosis. Do you have anything to offer that shows he has this trait?

Someone quoted him as saying he said "God told me to strike saddam, and i struck them. God also told me to strike al queda and I struck them. something like that. Besides that, hes made many many references to god in his speeches, more than ive ever seen.
You can very easily find these quotes on your own by typing it in google.

A rigid, judgmental outlook - heheh

I'll assume that means you agree that is a quality needed at times by a President of the USA?

No, being too judgemental effects decision making. He must way each issue on a non-personal level, weighing every factor. Like not being partisan when it was right.

Childish behavior - "Bring em on"

Part of a speech he read, likely written by his staff. Shows faith in the military. I just don't see this as being childish.

Nope, was an answer to a question by reporter. She/he said something about iraq. he said "My answer...bring em on" If you checked it out, you would realize MOST military men were very critical of this phrase.

Impatience - rings a bell, when he said while making case for war. "It just.. doesnt make sense..for this to go on any longer"

Yes, 12 years of negotiations sure showed how impatient he was.
Im not sure what your talking about. He wasnt in those negotiations if yer talking about iraq.
Isreal, is ALSO breaking several UN resolutions to my knowledge.
Hmm, we must be best buddies!! We support and now enforce their pre-emtive war doctrine. oh and military tactics that perposly strike fear into citizens. yep.

Irresponsible behavior - not protecting american people to best of ability.

Seems to me that's exactly what he is doing, and he also has a tough stance on crime. What could he reasonably do to protect more at this point?

Maybe bring back the regular combat pay, expecially in time of war. Probly would increase moral too.

Let the media report on those christian terrorists.

Increase veterans benifits, cuz he cut them by millions.

Not kill and mame tens of thousands of people in the name of, what? peace?

Not allow 9/11 to happen, to justify his narrow idealogical views and continue the war is dadoo started.

Maybe he shouldnt start a holy war(its a big recruitment boom for al)

We will have another terrorist attack(unless theres a god), and our consititution WILL be ripped farther away.

Irrational rationalization - "war is peace"

this term has been used throughout the years and a lot of people still think it stands true. Are they all "dry drunks"?

Not alot of people think being at war all the time is good for peace. Unless the idea was forced upon you by your party using lies. DUHH, if this is peace, I dont want none of it.

Man, thats SOOO scary. Cuz thats all you guys want right? the peace, to be protected? Well guess what? your president believes THIS IS PEACE. :mad:

Projection - he sure is projecting his morals.

On who?

The world, the republican party(poor sallys)

Overreaction - eh

First you'll claim he could have prevented 9/11, now you'll claim he overreacts.

eh=I dunno. sorry, still disagree. but hes not acting swiftly enough to protect us, hes over in foreign land smashing out the resistance. We're over here Shrub! :bye1:

Your fate is in your own hands. DO NOT attack the oil wells. The oil is for the welfare of the iraq people.." close to that.

What part of this message do you disagree with? Should he have allowed them to destroy their own oil? Looks like a reasonable quote to me.

Its a threat. His only message to the iraqs. The money does not go to the iraq people, directly helping them, nope, notta. Do we get money for OUR oil?
So many messages he could give to the Iraqs. Like, "Please Iraqs, the troops we're sending over want nothing but peace, they dont want to hurt anyone, if there is no violence, we will begin rebuilding and everyone will be happy." But no, he threatened them. Nuff said.

man, this is making me pist(not u jim)

The darn bast*rd and his "your either with us, or against us" mentallity. That NOT :mad: :mad: :mad: how you run the UNITED STATES of America!

As CEO of Harken Energy, and a member of the audit committee, Dubbyuh sold his shares in Harken just before the stock tanked, and failed to disclose the sale to the SEC. Did he even get his hand slapped? No, the SEC chairman at that time was a close friend of the Bush family, and Poppy was veep at the time. Yeah, Dubbyuh can sure handle money, he taught Ken Lay how to pull an Enron.

And of course, he left the Texas economy a smoking crater in the ground. It's too early to tell what's going to happen with the US economy as the mushroom cloud is still rising.

And jimnyc, I'm a psych nurse, I know what I'm talking about

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Sure, and I'm a brain surgeon. :rolleyes:

You've shown abolutely nothing to make me believe Bush has the symptom you speak of.

And of course, he left the Texas economy a smoking crater in the ground.

In truth, the economy was doing fine while bush was governer here in texas. In fact, it was improving a bit at a time. What took the hard hits while GW was governer was the environment. Giving industry relaxed regulations on pollution output has made the air in texas even worse to deal with.

The economy in Texas bites right now because of Globalization and Governer Perry, in that order.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
As CEO of Harken Energy, and a member of the audit committee, Dubbyuh sold his shares in Harken just before the stock tanked, and failed to disclose the sale to the SEC. Did he even get his hand slapped? No, the SEC chairman at that time was a close friend of the Bush family, and Poppy was veep at the time. Yeah, Dubbyuh can sure handle money, he taught Ken Lay how to pull an Enron.

I honestly don't know this story and can't find anything on it. Can someone provide a link?

What the hell does a psych nurse know about economics and the stock market ?

Am I missing something ?:rolleyes:

Documents Show Bush Violated SEC Insider Trading Law Four Times, Not Once. His Lawyer Ran The SEC Investigation On Late Harken Report And His Father's Gave The SEC Clearance Of Wrongdoing During Bush Presidency.

According to U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission records, on four separate occasions Gov. George W. Bush disregarded federal statutes by failing to file insider stock trade reports on a timely basis, back-dating one trade by some four months. Moreover, one key trade just a few weeks before Iraq invaded Kuwait -- but reported some eight months late after the Gulf War was over -- netted Bush close to $1 million in profit as he sold stock in Harken Energy, an oil company doing business in the Middle East wherein some of his father's largest contributors also maintained substantial positions.

The SEC under President Bush carried out an incomplete investigation of the younger Bush's pre-Gulf War trade in 1991 after key presidential advisor George Jr. claimed that he filed a report, but that the SEC had most likely lost it. (No one has really asked whether the governor bothered to use registered mail to verify receipt of the documents.)

According to an Oct. 28, 1991, Time Magazine report, SEC spokesman John Heine said, "as far as I know, nobody ever found the 'lost' filing." And, strangely, Bush refused comment to Time regarding either the incident or his involvement with Harken.

The governor also did not reveal the blatant conflicts of interest involved, since the chairman of the SEC was Richard Breedon, former lawyer with Houston firm Baker and Botts and deputy counsel to Bush's father when he was vice president. Breedon received his SEC appointment after the elder Bush became president.

The SEC investigation of George W. was led by general counsel James R. Doty who, according to a UPI report, mysteriously neglected to interview any of the Harken directors. Moreover, Doty had previously served as George W. Bush's personal lawyer in the deal involving his Texas Rangers purchase. So, in the end, the younger Bush was cleared of insider trade wrongdoing by his personal attorney and by his father's vice-presidential counsel, a virtual impossibility for the average U.S. citizen....

Most reports involving Bush's insider oil stock trades refer only to his highly controversial June 22, 1990, million dollar trade made six weeks before Gulf War hostilities broke out in Kuwait -- a trade which was reported eight months later. However, SEC documents between 1986 and 1993 show that Bush acquired 212,152 shares of Harken stock on Nov. 1, 1986, at the time he merged his Spectrum 7 company with Harken. But the future governor did not report the transaction until April 7, 1987 -- more than five months later.

When Bush filed late on April 7,1987, SEC filings show he had purchased another 80,000 shares on March 10, 1987. But strangely, two weeks later, an April 22 filing noted that the 80,000-share purchase was backdated to Dec. 10, 1986. When questioned by the media, Bush's attorney said it was the same 80,000 shares but he could not explain the discrepancy regarding the purchase dates or why Bush even reported the trade two times.

Another SEC filing, this from June 6, 1989, showed that Bush purchased another 25,000 shares of Harken but again waited more than four months to report the transaction.

The Houston Post, recognizing Bush's late SEC filings, noted that he "took eight months to notify the government of his sale of stock in a company on whose board he served" and "also missed the filing deadline for reporting other insider trades involving Harken Energy."

Documents obtained by the Post showed "additional instances in which Bush ... ran afoul of the SEC rule requiring notification." And George W. described himself as a "small, insignificant" Harken stockholder; but news reports examining SEC documents identified Bush as the third largest non-institutional investor.

--Tom Flocco, WND, 02.18.00

and the prosecutions for these offences are where? Do tell, in all honesty if these charges from the late 80's and early 90's were worth doo doo, wouldn't the inventor of the internet have brought them up? Get a clue.

I read a few articles and saw no smoking gun. The SEC went through thousands of documents and interviewed tons of people and ultimately decided there was no case. The talk of coverups and connections is just another conspiracy theory.

...They failed to note that the SEC chairman at that time was a long time friend of the Bush family. But that's been Dubbyuh's pattern throughout his adult life. Get into trouble, and Poppy bails him out. Only now, when he gets into trouble, and drags the rest of us with him, Poppy can't pull his cojones outta the fire. Ya gotta look at the bigger picture.

Ripping off stock-holders with shady stock deals, a al Enron, is a far more serious crime than consensual sex in the Oval Office...doncha think?

...They failed to note that the SEC chairman at that time was a long time friend of the Bush family. But that's been Dubbyuh's pattern throughout his adult life. Get into trouble, and Poppy bails him out.

Instead of ranting, why not supply the instances you speak of with credible and reputable proof to back up your accusations? Theories just don't cut it.

Only now, when he gets into trouble, and drags the rest of us with him, Poppy can't pull his cojones outta the fire. Ya gotta look at the bigger picture.

What trouble is he in? He's nearly assured to be re-elected this year. Does that bother you?

Ripping off stock-holders with shady stock deals, a al Enron, is a far more serious crime than consensual sex in the Oval Office...doncha think?

And I guess you fail to see the difference. One can be proven and the other cannot.

George W. Bush - I vote con

Maybe you need to be fascist to support him. I cant understand why any pro-democracy person would vote for him. :confused:

<center><h1><a href=http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df01092004.html>...of Better Economy Don't Follow the Numbers</h1></a></center>

While the Bush/Cheney re-election website promotes the idea that the economy is "stepping on the gas pedal,"1 new figures released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed hiring to be flat in December 2003 with a net gain of 1,000 jobs.2 A new report released today by the Economic Policy Institute finds that the Bush administration's assertion that the president's 2003 tax cut fell 1.615 million jobs short of its prediction for the year.3

The president publicly unveiled his 2003 tax cut last year by tying it to job creation. In the State of the Union, Bush said, "When America works, America prospers, so my economic security plan can be summed up in one word: jobs."4 But the president's policies have failed to benefit American workers. A National Journal piece last week noted that "The economy is so far behind the administration's forecast that an average of 400,000 jobs would have to materialize every month until the end of 2004 to keep to the White House schedule. How hard is that? During the 1990s boom, such phenomenal job growth occurred in eight months out of 102."5

The White House has thus far focused on putting a positive spin on the state of the economy. The president said in early December, "This administration has laid the foundation for greater prosperity and more jobs across America so every single citizen has a chance to realize the American dream."6 But so far, the widely reported increases in productivity and growth aren't translating into jobs or higher wages. New jobs being created are paying 13% less than those lost during the recession--$14.65/hour versus $16.92/hour. By contrast, new jobs created during the later years of the expansion, 1998 to 2000, paid 12% more.

While the rapid growth of the recovery has so far failed to benefit workers, corporate profits have increased at a rate far beyond those of previous recoveries. According to the EPI study, previous recoveries provided an average of 61% of total income growth - and never less than 55% -- to workers. In this recovery, however, only 29% of the total income growth has gone to workers' wages and benefits. Meanwhile, corporate profits have claimed an average share of 46% of total income growth in this recovery, compared to an historic average of 26%.7

Sources:

1. Bush/Cheney '04 Web Site, 1/4/04.
2. "Employment Situation Summary: December 2003," Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1/9/04.
3. Job Watch, Economic Policy Institute.
4. 2003 State of the Union, 1/29/03.
5. "The Politics of Jobs," National Journal, 1/3/04.
6. "In Heart of Steel Country, Bush Talks of Economy, Not Tariffs," New York Times, 12/2/03.
7. Job Watch, Economic Policy Institute.

Forum List

Back