George Tamarin illustrates the evil influence of religion on children

u2scram

Oct 26, 2010
The problem with religion-4: Corrupting the minds of children | Machines Like Us

"In 1966 George Tamarin presented more than a thousand Israeli* schoolchildren, aged between eight and fourteen, with the account of the battle of Jericho from the Book of Joshua: with all its murder, rape and brutality...

Tamarin then asked the children a simple moral question: Do you think Joshua and the Israelites acted rightly or not? THE MAJORITY SUPPORTED THE BLOODSHED.

But then...

He presented exactly the same story to a control group. only this time he set the story in china and made the 'hero' a fictitious general min...

"Only 7% approve of General Lin's brutality, and 75% disapproved".

In other words, when their loyalty to religion, (in this case Judaism) was removed from the calculation, the majority of children agreed with the moral judgements that most people would share, that Joshua's action was a deed of barbaric genocide."

Last edited:
some of the comments of the children...

"The justification for the genocidal massacre by Joshua is religious in every case. Even those in category C, who gave total disapproval, did so, in some cases, for backhanded religious reasons. One girl, for example, disapproved of Joshua's conquering Jericho because, in order to do so, he had to enter it:

"I think it is bad, since the Arabs are impure and if one enters an impure land one will also become impure and share their curse."

Two others who totally disapproved did so because Joshua destroyed everything, including animals and property, instead of keeping some as spoil for Israelites:

"I think Joshua did not act well, as they could have spared the animals for themselves."

"I think Joshua did not act well, as he could have left the property of Jericho; if he had not destroyed the property it would have belonged to the Israelites."

The problem with religion-4: Corrupting the minds of children | Machines Like Us

"In 1966 George Tamarin presented more than a thousand Israeli* schoolchildren, aged between eight and fourteen, with the account of the battle of Jericho from the Book of Joshua: with all its murder, rape and brutality...

Tamarin then asked the children a simple moral question: Do you think Joshua and the Israelites acted rightly or not? THE MAJORITY SUPPORTED THE BLOODSHED.

But then...

He presented exactly the same story to a control group. only this time he set the story in china and made the 'hero' a fictitious general min...

"Only 7% approve of General Lin's brutality, and 75% disapproved".

In other words, when their loyalty to religion, (in this case Judaism) was removed from the calculation, the majority of children agreed with the moral judgements that most people would share, that Joshua's action was a deed of barbaric genocide."

That is an invalid illustration at many levels. However, I will give you this, "Religion" is not what God is about. As a matter of fact, religion is the thing He hates. God is about having a real andpersonal relationship with His creation.

Note: Joshua and the Israelites did no violence at Jericho. All the did was follow God's instructions, and the walls fell. Yes there was loss of life, but if you study it you will discover that "religion" and lifestyle of the people there was the main factor, not violence and such.

I don't expect this to be accepted here, of course.

smart 33: not your iq is it? you obviously havent read the bible. can't really blame you its mostly nonsense.

"Religion" is not what God is about.

it most certainly is. given that god is a delusional construct of superstitious people who are overly afraid of death, what else could 'god' be?

Joshua and the Israelites did no violence at Jericho.

well, like the rest of the bible we have to assume that it is a work of fiction. but according to that fiction...

Joshua 6:20-21
So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city. And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

also, good for a laugh....

Joshua 5:2-3
At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time. And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.

OUCH!

Judaism is not alone in polluting and perverting young minds. Islam is just as guilty and xtianity, fundamentalists in particular, are also guilts of this.

smart 33: not your iq is it? you obviously havent read the bible. can't really blame you its mostly nonsense.

"Religion" is not what God is about.

it most certainly is. given that god is a delusional construct of superstitious people who are overly afraid of death, what else could 'god' be?

Those who claim religion as superstition are usually the ones crying out to God on their deathbed..shrugs.

"Those who claim religion as superstition are usually the ones crying out to God on their deathbed..shrugs."

evidence?

didnt think so.

some of the comments of the children...

"The justification for the genocidal massacre by Joshua is religious in every case. Even those in category C, who gave total disapproval, did so, in some cases, for backhanded religious reasons. One girl, for example, disapproved of Joshua's conquering Jericho because, in order to do so, he had to enter it:

"I think it is bad, since the Arabs are impure and if one enters an impure land one will also become impure and share their curse."

Two others who totally disapproved did so because Joshua destroyed everything, including animals and property, instead of keeping some as spoil for Israelites:

"I think Joshua did not act well, as they could have spared the animals for themselves."

"I think Joshua did not act well, as he could have left the property of Jericho; if he had not destroyed the property it would have belonged to the Israelites."

Quotes of the children ... exactly what age were these "children." It doesn't sound like anything I've heard children say - they're not generally that grammatically articulate at young ages. Hell, most teenagers these days don't speak that way.

I'll be up front and say that I don't go to church - haven't done so in years. I'm not sure I could be called a "Christian," but I certainly believe in God. Exactly how does my faith in God negatively impact your personal life (or the personal lives of any nonbelievers)? Does it ruin your health? Cause you to lose your home or your job? Drive you to suicide? Deprive you of food or other sustenance? Make you an alcoholic or substance abuser to cope with the sheer "lunacy" of those who do believe? No to all the above. My religious thoughts and feelings do not negatively impact anybody else. What does negatively impact others is their own anger, their own hatred, their own inability to "live and let live." That's on them. Because you and other nonbelievers feel as you do, does not give you the right to deprive others of their faith.

This doesn't proove that religion is evil.

It proves that ethnocentism is evil.

And that's where you lose people you're trying to convince. We get it, you think you're smart. And yet you're just not smart enough to convince all us stupid people.

Forum List

Back