George Steinbrenner belongs in the Hall of Fame...of life!

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
nyp_logo_230x32.gif

Steinbrenner got me to believe in myself

By RAY NEGRON

Last Updated: 9:33 AM, July 15, 2010

negron-steinbrenner.jpg

I first came to the Yankees as a confused kid. One foot was firmly planted in the world of baseball -- I loved playing it, watching it, talking about it -- but the other was on shaky ground, as an insecure Latino kid walking the streets of The Bronx.

A chance meeting with George Steinbrenner changed my life forever. He caught me painting graffiti outside the ballpark and put me in a holding cell. But 15 minutes later, he came back and told the cops, "Give me the kid."

He took me into the locker room and gave me a uniform, and that night I was the batboy for the Yankees.

Mr. Steinbrenner took that troubled kid and put him to work in the Yankee Clubhouse. The rules were simple: Go to school, stay out of trouble, keep up my grades, and in return he would put his signature on a regular paycheck.

One day in 1977, when the Yankees lost a tough game, Mr. Steinbrenner was in Billy Martin's office having one of their "conversations" -- loud and heated. Finally, he stormed out and ran straight into me.

"Let's go for a ride," he said, leading me into his limousine.

Finally, after circling the streets of The Bronx, he asked the driver to stop and approached a young Latino family. I listened while the owner of the New York Yankees stood on a street corner getting advice on how to run his team.

When he was done, he handed the man a $50 bill. "Take your family to dinner on me," he said.

"Do you see how lucky we are, Ray?" he later asked me.

With that word 'we,' I knew I was part of the Yankee Family.

Thank you, Boss. I miss you already.

Ray Negron started as a Yan kee bat boy in 1973, working his way up to team consultant. He was a close adviser to George Steinbrenner for 35 years.

Yankees consultant Ray Negron reflects on his friendship with George Steinbrenner - NYPOST.com

negron_boss_ricky_photo1_1080.jpg

The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence.
President John F. Kennedy

Forum List

Back