George McGovern no longer responsive

Let the man pass in peace.

If you want to bring politics into it, you're only going to get his name trashed and I'll be first in line.

He served his country and did what he thought was right.

We'll talk about what he actually did....some other time.

Let the man pass in peace.

If you want to bring politics into it, you're only going to get his name trashed and I'll be first in line.

He served his country and did what he thought was right.

We'll talk about what he actually did....some other time.

classy

... bring politics into it ...

Uh, perhaps you don't know that he was a US senator and ran for president more than once. And he did fight against the very war your current candidate, Willard the Rat, was in favor of.

Among other things, George McGovern was a politician.

Go shit someplace else.

George McGovern Is 'No Longer Responsive' In Hospice Care, Says Family

The war mongering right hated him of course but he was one of the best. A man of integrity and honesty, a war hero and humanitarian. After Nixon beat him, I had a bumper sticker that read, "Don't blame me, I voted for McGovern".

Our country would most certainly have fared better if he had won that election.

War mongering right? Gulf of Tonkin Resolution? Ring any bells, giving which president more war powers?

... bring politics into it ...

Uh, perhaps you don't know that he was a US senator and ran for president more than once. And he did fight against the very war your current candidate, Willard the Rat, was in favor of.

Among other things, George McGovern was a politician.

Go shit someplace else.

All to aware of his record. I watched Nixon dismantle him in 72.

McGovern was an outside who squandered his parties chances.

While he looked every bit as foolish as he was, you knew he believed what he was saying.

I gave him credit for that.

GFY

The war mongering right hated him of course but he was one of the best. A man of integrity and honesty, a war hero and humanitarian. After Nixon beat him, I had a bumper sticker that read, "Don't blame me, I voted for McGovern".

Is this supposed to be "news"?

Hasn't George McGovern been "unresponsive" since November of 1972?

Chris Hedges agrees, and points to this McGovern speech on the floor of the Senate during the the Vietnam War:

"McGovern, even before he ran for president, held heroic stature for us. In 1970 he attached to a military procurement bill the McGovern-Hatfield Amendment, which would have required, through a cutoff of funding, a withdrawal of all American forces from Indochina.

"The amendment did not pass, although the majority of Americans supported it. McGovern denounced on the Senate floor the politicians who, by refusing to support the amendment, prolonged the war. We instantly understood the words he spoke. They were the words of a preacher.

“'Every senator in this chamber is partly responsible for sending 50,000 young Americans to an early grave,' he said. 'This chamber reeks of blood. Every senator here is partly responsible for that human wreckage at Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval [hospitals] and all across our land—young men without legs, or arms, or genitals, or faces or hopes...'"

This would be a much different world if Nixon had lost in '72.

Chris Hedges: McGovern: He Never Sold His Soul - Chris Hedges' Columns - Truthdig

He died. Let him rest in peace. arguing over what he did or didnt do doesnt change that.

He was my choice in 72 which was the first election where I was old enough to vote.
and Luddly is right "Our country would most certainly have fared better if he had won that election."

Forum List

Back