George H. W. Bush: ‘Who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?’

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Former President George H.W. Bush addressed criticism from Grover Norquist, the head of Americans for Tax Reform, regarding his “no new tax” pledge at the 1988 Republican National Convention.

Mr. Bush has taken criticism throughout the years from Republicans and Democrats for famously stating that he would not raise taxes, and then going on to raise taxes during his term in the White House.

The former Republican president’s new interview with Parade Magazine includes references from Mr. Bush asking who Grover Norquist is, disregarding his signing of a no new taxes pledge with Mr. Norquist in 1987.

“I think we had an honorable administration. We were relatively scandal-free and blessed by good people. Something I guess I’d throw in there is the liberation of Kuwait,” said Mr. Bush regarding his “proudest accomplishment in life,” he then went on to address Mr. Norquist.

“The rigidity of those pledges is something I don’t like. The circumstances change and you can’t be wedded to some formula by Grover Norquist. It’s—who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?” added the former president.

Mr. Bush went on to talk about his son, George W. Bush, and his two terms in the White House, calling 9/11 his son’s best accomplishment because of the leadership that he displayed during the crisis.

Mr. Norquist responded to the comments from the former president during an interview with The Huffington Post.

Wait - what!? WTH is Norquist doing at that bastion of the left?!

Read more: George H. W. Bush: ‘Who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?’ | The Capitol Column

• Banned
True. Still.

The HuffPo? I really must find out why Grover thinks they are worth conversing with. It's not like they're the Blaze, ffs.

Has the Blaze won any journalism awards, by the way?

he signed the pledge and then broke the pledge.

Its why the Rs hate bush 41

True. Still.

The HuffPo? I really must find out why Grover thinks they are worth conversing with. It's not like they're the Blaze, ffs.

Why should they... they just post others stories.

Kind of like Drudge :dunno:

“The rigidity of those pledges is something I don’t like. The circumstances change and you can’t be wedded to some formula by Grover Norquist. It’s—who the hell is Grover Norquist, anyway?” added the former president.

Poor George, looks like he’s just another ‘RINO.’

True. Still.

You have a very odd definition of the word 'true'. What you mean is 'I agree'... but just because you agree with something does not make it 'true'. Moron.

Poor George, looks like he’s just another ‘RINO.’

There are so many RINO's, they're starting to look like that old "No fuck, no ride" joke.

Bush 41 broke the most important tennet of the rights philosopohy.

He raised taxes because he placed Country over party by raising taxes

Forum List

Back