George Clooney Arrested

Darfur is not part of South Sudan though, they are still in Sudan and genocide is still happening there.

Human rights are being violated in numerous places - including right here in the U.S.
Clooney's obsession with Sudan, and his publicity stunt today - just what it is - a publicity stunt. One of the elected officials arrested - Jim Moran - Northern Virginia. What a completely useless fuck that guy is. What he was doing with Clooney - who knows.

I have to admit I am curious about his passion for the place, he acts like his mother is from Darfur.

Kentucky. Same difference to a lot of people. :lol:

Does anyone think that a pampered actor protesting at an embassy is going to actually result in anything happening in the Sudan?

He probably does.
If he actually wanted to make a difference in world peace, he should dial up 1-800-USA-ARMY and enlist.

He has enough money to arm a militia and allow people to fight back.

The US Army isn't moving into the Sudan any time soon. We have to invade Iran first.

That true, he does.

He's accomplishing making the issue more visible.

Like it or not, our society as a whole seems to care about things more when it's popular to care about them. For example, see Kony 2012.

I have nothing against George Clooney making this issue more visible. There are certainly worse things that he could do with his time.

Oddly enough, in this case I agree with you.

I think Clooney is generally an idiot, but this issue being highlighted is a good thing.

Every time a known moron agrees with me, I pause, and contemplate the dynamic complexity of the universe.

All right, good on him for his attempt to address this situation but I really could care less. What gets me is this:
Clooney made the rounds in Washington this week, hoping his superstar wattage will help shine a light on the situation in Sudan. The actor testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and held private meetings with the Secretary of State and President Obama about the African nation's dire humanitarian situation and the Obama administration's policy.
What the fuck is Colony doing testifying in congress. Absolute crap. He is an actor. That's it. Actors are not in a position to be giving Congress reports or testimony no matter how many trips he has taken. It is sick the influence we give entertainers here in this country.

I heard his testimony on C-Span the other day and could not believe it. I had to do a double take when I heard his voice because I was to busy thinking no way.

All right, good on him for his attempt to address this situation but I really could care less. What gets me is this:
Clooney made the rounds in Washington this week, hoping his superstar wattage will help shine a light on the situation in Sudan. The actor testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and held private meetings with the Secretary of State and President Obama about the African nation's dire humanitarian situation and the Obama administration's policy.
What the fuck is Colony doing testifying in congress. Absolute crap. He is an actor. That's it. Actors are not in a position to be giving Congress reports or testimony no matter how many trips he has taken. It is sick the influence we give entertainers here in this country.

I heard his testimony on C-Span the other day and could not believe it. I had to do a double take when I heard his voice because I was to busy thinking no way.

Are you saying that entertainers shouldn't participate in the political process? Why not? How would you know what subjects Clooney or anybody else studied and / or is involved in, or why they're interested in such things.
Why should his influence be any less than corporate lobbyists?

As well as a bunch of elected officials.

I didn't know Sudan attacked us...

These clowns ought to try a protest like this in Sudan...

George Clooney Arrested at Sudan Embassy in Washington, D.C. - ABC News

To Warrior102: Nice thread.

Have you noticed that Touchy-Feely George never tells us how many Muslims he is willing to kill in Khartoum in order to save his Muslims in Darfur?

Darfur is a mix of races, tribes, and religions, including Christians. Darfur should have been separated from Khartoum when the Brits cut things up, but the Brits seemed to screw that region up on their way out like some other places in the ME. While Sudan as a whole is mostly muslim, Khartoum is closer to the ME, nearest Egypt, and mostly Arab, and Darfur (and the people who live there) is more connected to Sub-Saharan Africa. Khartoum wants control of Darfur's oil and other resources while letting the people go without, and the racism and religious bigotry against those in Darfur is what the leaders in the capital use to make the Janjeweed Arabs willing to attack for them.

My understanding is that he has been to the Sudan more than once on humanitarian missions. That gives him some understanding of the issues there that useful for congress. I have no issue with anyone testifying to congress in order to inform our politicians.

Let's try not to get all butthurt just because Clooney's a liberal. Personally, I'm glad that he's talking about the Sundan and the humanitarian crisis there.

Are you saying that entertainers shouldn't participate in the political process? Why not? How would you know what subjects Clooney or anybody else studied and / or is involved in, or why they're interested in such things.
Why should his influence be any less than corporate lobbyists?
Never said he should not be involved in the political process. He was not there petitioning or being a lobbyist though. He was there testifying. What I do know about Colony is that he is an entertainer ergo he is NOT a professional whose opinion on the state of another nation/government should carry enough weight to TESTIFY to the congress. If congress wants more information, they need to send someone there whose purpose and expertise is in getting what congress needs to know and someone that can give ALL of the pertinent facts without bias or personal motivation. The idea that actors and entertainers are influencing our government any more than a plumber, truck driver or a million other completely unqualified positions in this matter is asinine.

My understanding is that he has been to the Sudan more than once on humanitarian missions. That gives him some understanding of the issues there that useful for congress. I have no issue with anyone testifying to congress in order to inform our politicians.

Let's try not to get all butthurt just because Clooney's a liberal. Personally, I'm glad that he's talking about the Sundan and the humanitarian crisis there.

Who said anything about his political leaning. As a matter of fact, I had no idea that he even was a liberal. What is aggravating is that congress gives him the time because he is a famous actor and that is about it. I realize he has been there on humanitarian trips but so have been MANY others. He is there over those other solely because his stardom. The reverie that the American people give actors for their opinions has always confused me.

Forum List

Back