George Bush vs. the Naive Nine

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
The fact that Zell Miller is not even voting for a Dem this year is quite telling. I wonder how many other Democrats will be jumping ship this election cycle.

----------------------------------
George Bush vs. the Naive Nine

BY ZELL MILLER , Former Georgia Governor, retiring US Senator

If I live and breathe, and if--as Hank Williams used to say--the creek don't rise, in 2004 this Democrat will do something I didn't do
in 2000, I will vote for George W. Bush for president. I have come to believe George Bush is the right man, in the right place, at the right time. And that's a pretty big mouthful coming from a lifelong Democrat, who first voted for Adlai Stevenson in 1952, and has voted for every Democratic presidential candidate the 12 cycles since then. My political history to the contrary, this was the easiest decision I think I've ever made in deciding who to support. I believe the next five years will determine the kind of world my four grandchildren and four great grandchildren will live in. I simply cannot entrust that crucial decision to any one of the current group of Democratic presidential candidates.

Why George Bush? First, the personal,then, the political. I first got to know George Bush when we served as governors together, and I just plain like the man, a man who feeds his dogs first thing every morning, has Larry Gatlin sing in the White House, and knows what is meant by the term "hitting behind the runner."

I am moved by the reverence and tenderness he shows the first lady, and, the unabashed love he has for his parents and his daughters.

I admire this man of faith who has lived that line in that old hymn, "Amazing Grace," "Was blind, but now I see." I like the fact he's the same on Saturday night as he is on Sunday morning. I like a man who shows respect for others by starting meetings on time.

That's the personal. Now, the political.

This is a president who understands the price of freedom. He understands leaders, throughout history, often had to choose between good and evil, tyranny and freedom. and, the choice they make may reverberate for generations to come. This is a president who has some Churchill in him and who does not flinch when the going gets tough. This is a president who can make a decision and does not suffer from "paralysis analysis." This is a president who can look America in the eye and say on Iraq, "We're not leaving." And you know he means it.

This is also a president who understands tax cuts are not just something all taxpayers deserve, but, also, the best way to curb government spending. It is the best kind of tax reform. If the money never reaches the table, Congress can't gobble it up.

I have just described George W. Bush. Believe me, I looked hard at the other choices. And what I saw was the Democratic candidates who want to be president, in the worst way, are running for office, in the worst way. Look closely, there's not much difference among them. I can't say there's "not a dime's worth of difference" because there's actually billions of dollars' worth of difference among them. Some want to raise our taxes a trillion, while the others want to raise our taxes by several hundred billion. But, make no mistake, they all want to raise our taxes. They also, to varying degrees, want us to quit and get out of Iraq. They don't want us to stay the course in this fight between tyranny and freedom. This is our best chance to change the course of history in the Middle East. So I cannot vote for a candidate who wants us to cut and run, with our shirttails at half mast.

I find it hard to believe, but these naive nine have managed to combine the worst feature of the McGovern campaign--the president is a liar and we must have peace at any cost--with the worst feature of the Mondale campaign--watch your wallet, we're going to raise your taxes. George McGovern carried one state in 1972. Walter Mondale carried one state in 1984. They are not exactly role models, when it comes to how to get elected, or, for that matter, how to run a country.

So, as I have said, my choice for president was an easy decision. And, my own party's candidates made it even easier.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Zell may very well take a great number of democrats with him, especially in the South.
I doubt that seriously. Zell comes from Georgia, a state that went to Bush in '04. Here is his recent resume:

1980: Ran unsuccessfully for U.S. Senate
1991-1999: Governor, GA, two terms
1999-2000: Taught history/political science at Emory University, University of Georgia, Young Harris College; served on various corporate boards
(Dijetlo italics)
July 2000: Appointed to U.S. Senate after the death of Senator Paul Coverdell, R-GA
November 2000: Won a special election with 58 percent of the vote against six candidates for the right to serve the remaining four years of Senator Coverdell's term
Funny thing about old Zell. As far as I can see, he's been a state employee all his adult life. From his stint in the marines at 21 to this day, and yet he sits on several boards of directors. The down and dirty is he's done as a US senator, says he wants to spend more time with his family. Reality is he belongs to the wrong masters, so he wont be winning anymore elections as a Dem., at least until the fiscal conservatives push back the corporatists in the Republican party. You can assume he is a little peeved about it. He would consider a position in the Bush administration and if re-elected GWB will probably give it to him, the Bushs' reward loyalty (arguably over merit), just ask Ollie North.

zell brings up a few good points. it is hard not to like a man who lets you know up front that he loves his wife,daughters, parents,country, and definitely not least, god himself. another point made was that the next five to ten yrs could define how the rest of this century will go. we have a choice, stand up to these dictators and terrorists now and try to nip them in the bud, or wait and bury our heads in the sand, and let the problem get totally out of hand and be dealing with bombings and terrorist strikes in our country on a daily basis. ask the state of israel how much fun this is. i guess the big question remains, what kind of country do you want to live in, what kind of country do you want your kids and grandkids living in? do you want to be worried that your kids or grandkids could be the victims of a terrorist action? in my opinion, for a longtime,we were to soft on these terrorists, and it emboldened them. they thought they could strike at us with impunity. no more, like it or not, george w. bush has let it be known that we will not tolerate it anymore, and we will hunt you down, keep you on the run to such time as we catch or kill you, or you drop dead from exhaustion. one way or another, no matter how long it takes, we will get you. george bush is the right man in the right place at the right time. quite frankly, if one of the current crop of democrats gets into office, in my opinion, the terrorists will feel that the heat is off and it will be terrorist business as usual. think about it america, your vote will mean somthing next year, think about it long and hard, stay and stick it out and keep these sorry bastards on the run and kill them when we can, or sit on our hands and let them come after us. the best defense is a potent and overwhelming offense.

Hey green lantern, welcome to the board.
another point made was that the next five to ten yrs could define how the rest of this century will go. we have a choice, stand up to these dictators and terrorists now and try to nip them in the bud, or wait and bury our heads in the sand, and let the problem get totally out of hand and be dealing with bombings and terrorist strikes in our country on a daily basis. ask the state of israel how much fun this is.
We ave a lot of other options between military domination of the Middle East and burying our heads in the sand. Terrorism is not a new problem. Dealing with it effectively has more to do with draining the swamp than it has to do with killing every alligator.
Your Isreal reference is very telling. We, like them, are following a policy of military occupation to accomplish a political goal. The Irealis have met with no success in resolving their problems with the palestinians, why do you feel the same strategy will yeild better results for us?

dijetlo, thank you for the welcome. i feel we need to keep pursuing those that would do us harm, and not to let them get comftorable. i believe we have not seen a subsequent attack on these shores due to this policy since 9-11. you made a valid point on my israel reference. it has not done them every thing they had hoped by retailiating. the situation with them is a little different than it is for us though. they fight for their very existance, with a huge chunk of the arab world wishing for their demise. several things need to happen for peace in that area of the world, one, the suicide bombings have to stop. two, the israelis need to stop building settlements in the disputed territories, three. the rest of the arab-muslim world needs to follow the example of anwar sadat of egypt and make peace with israel. and yassar arafat and his minions need to go. as far as the united states goes, we need to develop other sources of fuel for ourselves, that way our foreign policy can call out those that support the terrorists read into this saudi arabia. kind of hard to do much with them when we buy so much oil from them, and are so dependent on them for our lifestyle. you have to wonder,how long are the muslims, and i dont mean all muslims, not all of them support terrorism, how long are they willing to sacrafice there children, their very future, in suicide bombings before they realize it is not accomplishing anything but killing the future.

Originally posted by green lantern
i feel we need to keep pursuing those that would do us harm, and not to let them get comftorable
I think we could have done much more damage to Islamic terrorism by maintaining the sanction. They survive on visceral unthinking hate of the west in general and the US in particular. Whatever we do to spread that sentiment makes our enemy stronger. Recent events indicate islamic terrorists are increasingly active in the ME, with terrorist organizations now springing up in Turkey. I don't think this strategy is going to be successful in the long term. Lets' bring in the UN and internationalize this before we end up occupying half the ME.

Even though I'm not a fan of his, if I were to vote this election, I'd probably vote for Bush. Fact is, we've done what we did in Iraq, like it or not, and as I've said before, I think we need to stay there and finish up the job. At this point, leaving before the thing is 100% done would make us look very bad. I don't see anyone seeing it through other than Bush.

dijetlo posted:

I think we could have done much more damage to Islamic terrorism by maintaining the sanction. They survive on visceral unthinking hate of the west in general and the US in particular. Whatever we do to spread that sentiment makes our enemy stronger. Recent events indicate islamic terrorists are increasingly active in the ME, with terrorist organizations now springing up in Turkey. I don't think this strategy is going to be successful in the long term. Lets' bring in the UN and internationalize this before we end up occupying half the ME.

Since that's what we were doing up to 9/11, why did they do that? USS Cole? The others?:huh:

Originally posted by Kathianne
Since that's what we were doing up to 9/11, why did they do that? USS Cole? The others?:huh:
Cause they hate us. What we need to do is isolate them politicaly and socialy from the rest of Islamic culture. This invasion is having the opposite effect.

Originally posted by jimnyc
That's it, Dan, come to the dark side! :D
I'm gonna clip this post, dude, expect to see it again, hehehehe.
Beware of arguments involving dichotic moral choices, I've got your number.:flameth:

Dan,
Once again, what do you think we were doing prior to 9/11?

Forum List

Back