Genetics- question for Jews or Christians

JohnMaximer

Rookie
Jul 16, 2011
Hi all
I am trying to understand Zechariah 12:1 a bit better, specifically the part that says that the Lord "formed/forms the spirit of man within him". I am specifically interested in the word "formed/forms", or "yotzer" in Hebrew, which I think is identical to "yatsar". I am interested in whether the spirit enters man (fully) at a specific point, or whether it is formed over a period of time. My understanding of the word yatsar would seem to indicate that this is indeed a forming process- but logic seems to say that at a certain point a spirit has to enter the embryo/fetus. Please let me know what you think? Also, if you have any other verses regarding this, let me know.
Thanks, John

Jews generally believe that there is no soul at conception, if that's what you are asking. Yotzer is Creator and it's in many prayers. Yatzer is, I guess, the one who created. Same root.

When we say 'asher yatzer', we are talking about how complex man is - memory, soul, body, etc - and how intricate we are. it's also a prayer of healing.**

I could answer you better if I knew what the feck you were talking about.

but I'm tired of being the Super Jew of the boards. :(

** kind of.

Huh? genetics? Is this a trick question or some coded question looking for ??? One must willingly suspend logic when reading the bible and especially the OT. These are stories that require faith.
It's a script. Follow it closely for the Shepherd is your guide....................over a cliff.
The OP posted this in the "Religion and Ethics" section, cut him some slack.

Huh? genetics? Is this a trick question or some coded question looking for ??? One must willingly suspend logic when reading the bible and especially the OT. These are stories that require faith.

Book of Zechariah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zechariah 12:1-9 NIV - Jerusalems Enemies to Be Destroyed A - Bible Gateway

hah, yeah, i just looked that verse up. no, it is not a prophesy for Jesus. :p

1. The prophecy of the word of the Lord concerning Israel: Says the Lord, Who stretches out the heavens and founds the earth and forms the spirit of man within him:

Hi all
I am trying to understand Zechariah 12:1 a bit better, specifically the part that says that the Lord "formed/forms the spirit of man within him". I am specifically interested in the word "formed/forms", or "yotzer" in Hebrew, which I think is identical to "yatsar". I am interested in whether the spirit enters man (fully) at a specific point, or whether it is formed over a period of time. My understanding of the word yatsar would seem to indicate that this is indeed a forming process- but logic seems to say that at a certain point a spirit has to enter the embryo/fetus. Please let me know what you think? Also, if you have any other verses regarding this, let me know.
Thanks, John

Well, there is something in Judaic theology that says at around the 40 day mark, God carves off a small piece of Himself with the blade of self will and puts it into the embryo that was created by your parents. That is what is your "soul".

Interestingly enough, today's scientists have shown that the embryo doesn't develop a nervous system until around that point.

Matter of fact, that is what Yeshua was referring to when He stated "the Father and I are One", meaning He knew that He was connected to God via the soul, because that was a small piece of God.

Hi all
Thanks, John

For me the word is ruach,which means spirit,breath,and or wind. Sorry I can't get to my online bible because my internet provider is once again experiencing problems. But I believe god blows in the breath of life either when the baby is breathing the womb or maybe when he takes his first breath outside the womb. Not sure either way. But if we could prove the spirit was the product of genetics ,there would be nothing left to discuss with evolutionist .

I think it's also past 40 days that you are not specifically allowed to wish for a boy or girl.

But it's weird, because I think Jewish law says a child that is 'partially' born is a person, but rules regarding burial of children before the 8th day is complex. Children that died before 30 days didn't even have a shiva.

Jewish law says that a fetus is potential life.

New Topics

Forum List

Back