Genesis 49:6

GiveMeATicketToWork

Feb 3, 2016
New favorite Bible verse:

Genesis 49:5-6
King James Version (KJV)
(5)Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations. (6)O MY SOUL, COME NOT THOU INTO THEIR SECRET; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.

Genesis 49:5-6The Message (MSG)
5-6 Simeon and Levi are two of a kind,
ready to fight at the drop of a hat.
I don’t want anything to do with their vendettas,
want no part in their bitter feuds;
They kill men in fits of temper,
slash oxen on a whim.

ALWAYS USE THE TANAKH AND IT'S FULL CONTEXT AS NECESSARY
5:Simeon and Levi are brothers; stolen instruments are their weapons.
שִׁמְעוֹן וְלֵוִי אַחִים כְּלֵי חָמָס מְכֵרֹתֵיהֶם :
6:Let my soul not enter their counsel; my honor, you shall not join their assembly, for in their wrath they killed a man, and with their will they hamstrung a bull.
בְּסֹדָם אַל תָּבֹא נַפְשִׁי בִּקְהָלָם אַל תֵּחַד כְּבֹדִי כִּי בְאַפָּם הָרְגוּ אִישׁ וּבִרְצֹנָם עִקְּרוּ שׁוֹר :
7:Cursed be their wrath for it is mighty, and their anger because it is harsh. I will separate them throughout Jacob, and I will scatter them throughout Israel.
אָרוּר אַפָּם כִּי עָז וְעֶבְרָתָם כִּי קָשָׁתָה אֲחַלְּקֵם בְּיַעֲקֹב וַאֲפִיצֵם בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל

ALWAYS USE THE TANAKH AND IT'S FULL CONTEXT AS NECESSARY
5:Simeon and Levi are brothers; stolen instruments are their weapons.
שִׁמְעוֹן וְלֵוִי אַחִים כְּלֵי חָמָס מְכֵרֹתֵיהֶם :
6:Let my soul not enter their counsel; my honor, you shall not join their assembly, for in their wrath they killed a man, and with their will they hamstrung a bull.
בְּסֹדָם אַל תָּבֹא נַפְשִׁי בִּקְהָלָם אַל תֵּחַד כְּבֹדִי כִּי בְאַפָּם הָרְגוּ אִישׁ וּבִרְצֹנָם עִקְּרוּ שׁוֹר :
7:Cursed be their wrath for it is mighty, and their anger because it is harsh. I will separate them throughout Jacob, and I will scatter them throughout Israel.
אָרוּר אַפָּם כִּי עָז וְעֶבְרָתָם כִּי קָשָׁתָה אֲחַלְּקֵם בְּיַעֲקֹב וַאֲפִיצֵם בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל

How could it mean "counsel" if the Levites are the priests, friend?

The Hebrew actually means "familiar sittings." But that couldn't be translated "counsel" if the Levites are the priests.

prayer leaders=counsel
But also this is prior to their taking that role over from the first born son (which helps secret the spiritual layer of this).
They steped in during the Moses story, when some strayed and started worshiping the cast of the bull.

The 3 layers:
1)historical context Simeon &
Levi not future Levites.
2)repeat emulation
Shimon Peter's 'church' (prayer leaders)founded by the authority that killed the 2 of the 3christ figures used for the Jesus image. You are to not give them your soul or take counsel from them.
3)spiritual emulation:
the Nazarene had John(the righteous one) killed to steal his flock. His prayer leaders (Levites) you are told; You are to not give them your soul or take counsel from them.

Last edited:
Interesting.....I find the tribe of Simeon a very interesting case study not much is known of them but they are said to disappear or disperse into Israel ... It should be noted that when Dinah their sister was defiled by the schemites that it was only Levi and Simeon that came to her defence albeit in a violent manner none of the other brothers or their father raised a hand in her self defence....Maybe that is why when we recite the Shema Hear Oh Israel the lord our Gd the lord is one the word HEAR is first and then the tribes of Israel... Simeon means to be heard or to hear....So even though their actions were violent to Jacob their father maybe the non actions of the other brothers were deemed just as bad and that is why Simeon was dispersed among the the rest of his brethren so they would develop some backbone...Regardless sometimes when we read certain passages we only see them in the context of the stories but if we are able to dig deep enough we find that they are many layered and that deeper hidden meaning can be found just like the three layered prophecies that keep popping up again and again...I did point out on another thread that more then half the tribe of Simeon left after the exodus to parts unknown after the Fineus affair so their dispersal was not to just Israel but to elsewhere... If their descendants became the Greeks or the Spartans then we know they lived by the sword and were very violent to their enemies and their empire spread to the four corners of the earth and became the basis for the Roman Empire that followed...

Yes.
Jacob’s poor choice of a place to live left his family open to ungodly influence. His daughter Dinah was defiled (maybe raped).
Simeon and Levi (Dinah's brothers)and Jacobs other sons are enraged so Simeon and Levi revenge and slay Hamor and his son Shechem with their sword. Jacob was oddly not angry which leads me to think the interpretation of rape might be different like taking advantage of her innocence defiling her, but not forced rape. Reason is they talk about her marrying him. Like a farmer's daughter incident where Pappa Jacob wants to set up a ceremony wedding, but the protective brothers want to kill the man.

Simeon and Levi are types who slay people in anger.

Their anger is fierce and their wrath is cruel. It says that instruments of cruelty are in "their habitations" (I believe means within them.)

So those who don't like being victimized by a naturally cruel within type of person should not go "into the habitations" of such people.

Forum List

Back