Generation Sloth

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
It's Labor Day, but there's nothing to celebrate.

On July 24 this year, the government raised the minimum wage to $7.25, which is another way of saying that unemployment is mandatory for anyone who is otherwise willing to work for less. You have no freedom to negotiate or lower the price for your service. You are either already valuable at this rate or you are out of the game.

Here is how it works. I've never been good at shaping pizza dough by hand, throwing it up in the air the way those guys do, so it would certainly cost more for any pizza joint to hire me at that high rate than I could bring them in revenue. I would be a sure money loser. As a result, the government has made it effectively illegal for me to attempt this kind of work.

This is done to help me, so they say.

Generation Sloth - Jeffrey A. Tucker - Mises Institute

It's Labor Day, but there's nothing to celebrate.

On July 24 this year, the government raised the minimum wage to $7.25, which is another way of saying that unemployment is mandatory for anyone who is otherwise willing to work for less. You have no freedom to negotiate or lower the price for your service. You are either already valuable at this rate or you are out of the game.

Here is how it works. I've never been good at shaping pizza dough by hand, throwing it up in the air the way those guys do, so it would certainly cost more for any pizza joint to hire me at that high rate than I could bring them in revenue. I would be a sure money loser. As a result, the government has made it effectively illegal for me to attempt this kind of work.

This is done to help me, so they say.

Generation Sloth - Jeffrey A. Tucker - Mises Institute

Illegals will work for less than minimum wage. Many of them have families back in Mexico and Central America and with out thirty or forty dollars a month wired down to them from the father of the family back in the United States, they would starve. Most people do not know how serious the plight is down south of the Rio Grande.

Most people do not know how serious the plight is down south of the Rio Grande.

I agree, it is a sad state of history that the US did not follow the purple dream and conquer as far south as she could.

Imagine the prosperity and freedom they would have known!

Now they hot foot it to the land they did not want to be conquered by.

Make up your minds Amigos!

Forum List

Back