Generation Screwed?

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
September 3, 2012

Change is tough in the best of times; worse still when the air is filled with invective and half-truths. Fabrications and distortions are predictable features of any election year; but the most pernicious lie is the invented future. Anything said about tomorrow is speculation. There's no empirical evidence to prove or disprove that which has not happened. Not that any of this inhibits a legion of political fortune-tellers in an election year.

The invented future du jour goes by the name of Generation "Screwed," a metaphor which suggests coercion (or sex without pleasure). Generation Screwed is supposed to be that part of the Generation Y cohort, now entering the workforce, who will not be as well-off or as pampered (with jobs, Social Security, or Medicare, etc.) as were their parents.

A generation is usually thought to be 20-25 years; a "generation gap" is the assumed difference in beliefs or perspective between parents and their children. Conventional wisdom would have you believe that every generation has a unique worldview. You need a scorecard to play the generation game.

GI Generation (1920-1945) - [six million extant] - also known as the "greatest generation," children of the Depression who fought and won WWII.

Baby Boomers (1945-1965) - [66 million] - the population bloom that followed the war, mostly prosperous Cold Warriors and early rockers.

Generation X (1965-1985) - [88 million] - the Vietnam War generation. In part, the drug-addled cohort who said, "Hell no, we won't go" and did not trust anyone over 30 years of age. Many might be academics, journalists, or government employees today.

Generation Y (1985-2005) - [76 million] - also known as the "trophy" (everybody gets one) or the "Peter Pan" (I don't want to grow up) generation. This cohort is mostly 20-somethings or younger. The whiners in their midst see themselves as victims, hence that sense of being "screwed." Presumably, the children of Gen Y are really screwed. Like, totally, dude!

Read more: Articles: Generation Screwed?

Last edited:
GI Generation (1920-1945) - [six million extant] - also known as the "greatest generation," children of the Depression who fought and won WWII.

Baby Boomers (1945-1965) - [66 million] - the population bloom that followed the war, mostly prosperous Cold Warriors and early rockers.

Generation X (1965-1985) - [88 million] - the Vietnam War generation. In part, the drug-addled cohort who said, "Hell no, we won't go" and did not trust anyone over 30 years of age. Many might be academics, journalists, or government employees today.

I think you have a bit of a timing problem. When I reported for my draft physical in 1970, I didn't see any five-year olds. The Vietnam generation was born between 1942 and about 1955. An 18 year-old draftee at the end of the war in 1973 would have been born no later than 1955.

Similarly a GI in WWII generally had to have been born before about 1926.

BTW, did you know that things were so primitive during the Depression that we had to use kerosene-powered televisions?

Jamie

Forum List

Back